U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 12:32 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,133,053 times

Advertisements

Vicksburg took all the flags off.

What's funny is that they are saying that the Battle Flag wasn't used during the Siege of Vicksburg.

Baldfaced whitwashing. The Flag of Waul's Texas Legion during the siege shows that they are lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 03:23 PM

2,792 posts, read 3,894,539 times
It looks like the flag you are referring to was simply the "Unstained Banner" with the word "Vicksburg" across the field. This flag features a small version of the "Southern Cross" in the canton. I can't find any reference saying a full-sized "Southern Cross" ever flew over Vicksburg during the war.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:31 PM

382 posts, read 358,619 times
Don't yall wish you were bickering over multi-million dollar developments rather than antiquated flags?

Old 07-01-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
It looks like the flag you are referring to was simply the "Unstained Banner" with the word "Vicksburg" across the field. This flag features a small version of the "Southern Cross" in the canton. I can't find any reference saying a full-sized "Southern Cross" ever flew over Vicksburg during the war.
The fact that the ensign was in that flag shows that the cross design was used at Vicksburg.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
The fact that the ensign was in that flag shows that the cross design was used at Vicksburg.
Vicksburg National Park pulls Confederate battle flag

First, they are not talking about a flag that was formerly flying and was taken down as implied by your earlier post. they are only talking about no longer selling the flag in the gift shop. From the article:
Quote:
The only flag being pulled from the shelves is the Confederate battle flag - not the state flag or the Bonnie Blue..
I'm guessing that the little-known flag that flew over Waul's Texas Legion was never sold in the gift shop. It's similar to the Mississippi Flag, though, with the cross on the canton. Presumably if enough people ask they might order some for sale, but I doubt if enough people will ask. I haven't been there in decades, but I would guess that a version of Waul's flag is displayed somewhere on the grounds.

Technically, the second national flag of the CSA, the "Unstained Banner" (Southern cross on the canton with a white field, just like Waul's Texas Legion except without the word "Vicksburg"), was adopted a short time before the siege and fall of Vicksburg, so you could argue that it deserves a place there. Except the actual flag never flew over the fort because it fell so soon after adoption. The flags captured on surrender were the first national flag, the "Stars and Bars".

Again... the full "Southern Cross" as a stand-along banner, neither the original square version that flew over the Army of Virginia nor the modified rectangular version that flew over the CSA Navy and the Army of Tennessee, ever flew over Vicksburg. At least not during the Civil War.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:46 AM

When I was last at Vicksburg, in 2010, they were selling the 3x5 of the Battle flag, and small desktop flags of the ANV flag alongside full sized versions of the Confederate First National.

That's just from recollection.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:08 AM

So who thinks Mississippi's flag will be targeted by the activists after SC's flag comes down?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:34 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Quote:
So who thinks Mississippi's flag will be targeted by the activists after SC's flag comes down?
Certainly, it will be next, after that, the statues, the roads,streets, any thing that offends.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Certainly, it will be next, after that, the statues, the roads,streets, any thing that offends.
I think Mississippi will be a bit more hard nosed though.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Of course it will be targeted. I believe it is the last place where it is used as an official symbol representing people who were oppressed under that symbol, even it if is only a small portion of the overall state flag.

The difference, however, is that SC's legislature was still in session when the shooting and follow-up protests happened. They had no choice but to act, and a supermajority acted to remove the flag from the Capitol grounds. Mississippi's legislature has already adjourned for the year. It would take the governor calling a special session to bring them back this year, and he's already said he wasn't going to do that.

I do not think Mississippi voters may directly change state law via petition and ballot referendum, but I could be wrong.

So the earliest it will be addressed is next January, and most likely the hullabaloo will have died down by then. Of course some legislators will introduce bills to get it changed, but it depends entirely on the public and media as to whether or not the bills die or gain traction. I do not envision the legislators directly voting to change the flag, but I can easily see them having another voter referendum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi