Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 05:31 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times

Advertisements

Tupelo still hasn't decided yet.

However, most rural towns in MS are still flying it I think, what other news about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:35 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
When I was in Oxford last year I saw him. I didn't realize how big of a figure in Oxford he was, now that I'm looking back on it, it feels weird. He died for nebulous reasons because he was an outlier with public opinion.
Really? We take her word for it as gospel, that a car of young thugs drove them off the road?
Occam's Razor says she fell asleep, or lost control for some other reason.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:36 AM

25 posts, read 25,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Really? We take her word for it as gospel, that a car of young thugs drove them off the road?
Occam's Razor says she fell asleep, or lost control for some other reason.
Trust dumb confederate supporters with collective Iq's in single digits to believe anything.
Theirs is a fringe movement which is dying by the day. Soon, toting a confederate flag make anyone with it look like a complete loser and racist.
The Mississippi flag will be replaced. Sooner or later it's gonna happen.
ConfedeRacists can bet on that.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyBlackMale View Post
Trust dumb confederate supporters with collective Iq's in single digits to believe anything.
Theirs is a fringe movement which is dying by the day. Soon, toting a confederate flag make anyone with it look like a complete loser and racist.
The Mississippi flag will be replaced. Sooner or later it's gonna happen.
ConfedeRacists can bet on that.
You know, I started this thread for general discussion and intelligent conversation.

You are not contributing.

By the sounds of it, Bryant is making the flag's change unlikely. The majority of the voting public in MS are still against changing it.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:51 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
That being said, I believe that if slavery was put to a referendum on this state, at least 40% would choose to bring it back.
This wouldn't be a problem if the 40% in favour where the ones being enslaved.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
You know, I started this thread for general discussion and intelligent conversation.

You are not contributing.

By the sounds of it, Bryant is making the flag's change unlikely. The majority of the voting public in MS are still against changing it.
I'm not contributing because you don't think Mississippi's flag should be changed.
Yes. Your logic makes sense.

That flag is a symbol of hate to nearly 40% of Mississippis population. Such an irony that the state with the highest black population has a confederate symbol. Something that's clearly offensive to such a huge percentage of the population SHOULD NOT BE a state symbol. Bryant is on the wrong side of history. He will lose.

You're about to get into college. Quite disheartening seeing a young kid with such beliefs.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:50 PM

171 posts, read 180,980 times
280Tony: SHAME ON YOU!

Old 08-07-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyBlackMale View Post
I'm not contributing because you don't think Mississippi's flag should be changed.
Yes. Your logic makes sense.

That flag is a symbol of hate to nearly 40% of Mississippis population. Such an irony that the state with the highest black population has a confederate symbol. Something that's clearly offensive to such a huge percentage of the population SHOULD NOT BE a state symbol. Bryant is on the wrong side of history. He will lose.

You're about to get into college. Quite disheartening seeing a young kid with such beliefs.
Part of the reason why I chose Ole Miss was because of it's Civil War history. I've been a Civil War buff since I was 13. If I'm going to continue to Graduate Studies, it's going to be on this subject, where I will be discussing it ALL THE TIME. A Confederate Battle Flag is no more offensive to me than the battle flag of the 20th Maine Infantry. And I own both! I can very well tell you the difference between the Confederate Battle Flag and the Flag of Hardee's Corps.

Ole Miss offers a graduate program in that field that I took heavy interest in. When I was in Oxford last year I saw Anthony Hervey walking around the town square, he was allegedly killed for being a flag supporter, being chased down a dark highway and crashed. The details will probably never be known. I really liked Oxford, I didn't see race, or anything like that. I saw a historical little town that I really liked.

Calling people "ConfedeRacists" does nothing but inflame. Phil Bryant says he isn't going to call up a special session, the "projected" vote by the media (Mississippi State Flag: Will State Remove Confederate Symbol?) says similar. Most polls taken in MS over the last 8 or so weeks say "no". Will it be changed in he far future? Possibly. But definitely not for the time being.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Part of the reason why I chose Ole Miss was because of it's Civil War history. I've been a Civil War buff since I was 13. If I'm going to continue to Graduate Studies, it's going to be on this subject, where I will be discussing it ALL THE TIME. A Confederate Battle Flag is no more offensive to me than the battle flag of the 20th Maine Infantry. And I own both! I can very well tell you the difference between the Confederate Battle Flag and the Flag of Hardee's Corps.

Ole Miss offers a graduate program in that field that I took heavy interest in. When I was in Oxford last year I saw Anthony Hervey walking around the town square, he was allegedly killed for being a flag supporter, being chased down a dark highway and crashed. The details will probably never be known. I really liked Oxford, I didn't see race, or anything like that. I saw a historical little town that I really liked.

Calling people "ConfedeRacists" does nothing but inflame. Phil Bryant says he isn't going to call up a special session, the "projected" vote by the media (Mississippi State Flag: Will State Remove Confederate Symbol?) says similar. Most polls taken in MS over the last 8 or so weeks say "no". Will it be changed in he far future? Possibly. But definitely not for the time being.
The last poll was done In 2001
That was 14! Years ago. Black awareness for that election was probably zero then.
Currently, every black person in Mississippi is aware of the flag and will mobilize to get it off. Coupled with liberal and forward thinking whites who want to move this state into the 21st century, stop Mississippi from being the laughing stock of the whole country as well as attract meaningful investment and skilled man power to move this state forward.

Besides who says it has to be done by ballot?
Both Republican senators have come out against the flag. Ole Miss has released an official statement wishing for the flag change. Several notable towns have removed the flag from city centers. The head coach of the rebels football team did the same.
Sane people want change.
Freaks in rural desolate places want to cling on to their separatists flags while chanting "it's our heritage" or " if you hate Mississippi then move out". You don't see Germans saying the nazi swastika was their heritage. Which it is, in actual fact. But that heritage symbolizes horror millions of Jews and their descendants.

I am a Mississippi native and change WILL come to Mississippi.

PS. You're free to tote your flag. Just keep it out of public buildings. Fly it in your private property. I don't care. Just get it off public property and get it off the official state flag.

Last edited by HappyBlackMale; 08-07-2015 at 07:21 PM..

Old 08-07-2015, 07:35 PM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
If they are going to change the flag it will have to be done by the legislator. in 2001 it was 62 to 38. I think it would be 52 to 48 or 55 to 45 if you had a public vote but it would lose on the ballot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi