U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 11:24 AM

13,670 posts, read 8,580,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyBlackMale View Post
You say God bless America yet you support a cause that almost broke America apart?
Confederates logic.
Amazing how you made everything about race.
Yup.
Pretty much shows who you are.
The flag is going down, you can whine and cry. Better brace up buddy.

Bye.
Now, let's talk about this.

You say you want the flag removed. Symbol of racism, you say. I think we can agree on that part.

But has your post done anything at all to discourage racism? Well, no it hasn't. You have accused people of whining and crying, and identified yourself as a Black man while doing it.
That makes you part of the problem, doesn't it? I mean, no one in their right mind could say your post is part of the solution.

You ridicule. Humiliate. Scoff. Condescend.
And then you expect respect?
Don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 04:48 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,136,113 times
You also seem to have the "Keep the Flag, Change the Speaker" movement led by Jeppie Barbour holding strong.

Even though a handful of towns and cities in MS have taken down the flag from city property, Bryant is holding to not calling in a session that he says will achieve nothing but keep the flag in place.

By the sounds of it, the MAJORITY in Mississippi doesn't want it changed, or so it looks.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:45 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
The same people that are offended seeing it at the courthouse will be offended seeing it at the museum. Just leave it where its at.
I ain't offended by Nazi stuff in a museum, but I would be if I saw a German Nazi flag flying anywhere in public. I dunno why anyone would proudly fly the CSA flag, unless of course they were nostalgic for a hideous and shameful part of American history.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 PM

25 posts, read 19,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
You also seem to have the "Keep the Flag, Change the Speaker" movement led by Jeppie Barbour holding strong.

Even though a handful of towns and cities in MS have taken down the flag from city property, Bryant is holding to not calling in a session that he says will achieve nothing but keep the flag in place.

By the sounds of it, the MAJORITY in Mississippi doesn't want it changed, or so it looks.

Untrue
You just wish the flag would stay.
Even if it doesdoes stay now, it's going down soon. Real soon.

Oxford and Ole Miss have taken a stand, I expect State/Starkville to follow suite. Hattiesburg already got the state flag off.
When the most promising towns are taking off the state flag, it's a lame dog anyway.

You can fill your civil war appetite by visiting museums and reading books. Keeping offensive flags doesn't cut it.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Now, let's talk about this.

You say you want the flag removed. Symbol of racism, you say. I think we can agree on that part.

But has your post done anything at all to discourage racism? Well, no it hasn't. You have accused people of whining and crying, and identified yourself as a Black man while doing it.
That makes you part of the problem, doesn't it? I mean, no one in their right mind could say your post is part of the solution.

You ridicule. Humiliate. Scoff. Condescend.
And then you expect respect?
Don't think so.
I ain't looking for respect on a faceless forum.
Oh and I'm a very respectful fellow. I'm just tired of Southern black people bending over all the time on issues they need to stand up for
The flag is offensive to us. We make up 37-40% of the state population. That has to count for something.

End of

The point you guys are forgetting is that no one us saying you can't fly the flag. Just keep it out of government buildings that's all.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:52 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
You know, I started this thread for general discussion and intelligent conversation.

You are not contributing.

By the sounds of it, Bryant is making the flag's change unlikely. The majority of the voting public in MS are still against changing it.
The majority of the voting public in MS is probably against a lot of things that the rest of the civilised world is NOT against, like teaching evolution, allowing gays to get married, allowing women to terminate pregnancies via abortion, etc. I find the fact they are allowed to vote frightening.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:07 PM

646 posts, read 635,533 times
Quote:
I ain't looking for respect on a faceless forum.
Oh and I'm a very respectful fellow. I'm just tired of Southern black people bending over all the time on issues they need to stand up for
The flag is offensive to us. We make up 37-40% of the state population. That has to count for something.

End of

The point you guys are forgetting is that no one us saying you can't fly the flag. Just keep it out of government buildings that's all.
It only counts if you use those numbers at the poll. Black people in Mississippi don't vote.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:35 PM

13,670 posts, read 8,580,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
It only counts if you use those numbers at the poll. Black people in Mississippi don't vote.
Looks like you are right; they didn't vote last time it came up:
Quote:
Many believed that Mississippians voted along racial lines. However, this was not necessarily the case. As a matter of pragmatic fact, only 13% of Caucasian voters had to vote for change in order for the new flag to be victorious at the ballot box. Unofficial and unscientific exit polls suggested that more than 20% of white voters said the flag should change. What's more interesting is that in certain counties where an overwhelming majority of the population is African American, the vote was roughly split.
https://flagspot.net/flags/us-ms-rf.html

The split was 65% for the old flag, 35% for the new one.
There are 1.8 million registered voters in Mississippi. 702,233 people showed up to vote. Ironically, there are 721,000 registered Black voters in Mississippi. If they had showed up, they would have carried the day easily.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:04 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,718,331 times
Quote:
You say God bless America yet you support a cause that almost broke America apart?
Confederates logic.
Amazing how you made everything about race.
Yup.
Pretty much shows who you are.
The flag is going down, you can whine and cry. Better brace up buddy.

Bye.
Really? its all over now.... people like you are constantly talking about it... i see it all over on facebook profile pictures and i see them flying on trucks and outside homes every once in a while (i live in Minnesota).

sorry but all this strange/random need to ban a flag because you people don't like it sort of failed on you guys.... next time i suggest just minding your own business and not letting a piece of cloth get to you.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Really? its all over now.... people like you are constantly talking about it... i see it all over on facebook profile pictures and i see them flying on trucks and outside homes every once in a while (i live in Minnesota).

sorry but all this strange/random need to ban a flag because you people don't like it sort of failed on you guys.... next time i suggest just minding your own business and not letting a piece of cloth get to you.
I don't care if it's on your car. Or your property.
It doesn't have to be in a school wheee kids are because the it's a symbol on an official state flag.
You guys don't get it.

Mississippi cannot attract investment if you all keep saying mind your business, move out. North Carolina is a hub of growth right now with lots of stuff going for them. I can't say the same for Mississippi where Fastest area of growth in the state happens to be a cheaper suburb of a Tennessee city.

Sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi