U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-26-2015, 07:59 AM
 
25 posts, read 19,220 times
Reputation: 33

Advertisements

Ole miss finally Takes Down State Flag
University administrators heed campus-wide call to remove banner
UM Takes Down State Flag | HottyToddy.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2015, 01:35 PM
 
1,100 posts, read 2,607,804 times
Reputation: 1037
This is a good move for the state of Mississippi. The state needs to do whatever it takes to be an attractive place for investors, and this is another step.

In the next legislature, if they could replace the state personal income tax (5%) with a small property tax (like Texas), and tweak the state flag, Mississippi would be roaring forward in terms of modernization.

The big remaining thing is bringing fierce competition to education (to improve quality drastically), which means simply giving every child (not just poor children) a scholarship to attend the best school they can get into. Imagine that - every child attending the very best private or parochial school that they can get into.

This could be especially advantageous for children who come from troubled families, in that their parents' lack of moral values can be offset by values provided within the school itself, in addition to academics. This would also dramatically help towns across the state where middle class families are forced to pay for private schools, in addition to paying taxes to pay for public schools. Now they could attend private schools with a scholarship, which would make these communities far more competitive in attracting business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 02:32 PM
 
647 posts, read 635,896 times
Reputation: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
This is a good move for the state of Mississippi. The state needs to do whatever it takes to be an attractive place for investors, and this is another step.

In the next legislature, if they could replace the state personal income tax (5%) with a small property tax (like Texas), and tweak the state flag, Mississippi would be roaring forward in terms of modernization.

The big remaining thing is bringing fierce competition to education (to improve quality drastically), which means simply giving every child (not just poor children) a scholarship to attend the best school they can get into. Imagine that - every child attending the very best private or parochial school that they can get into.

This could be especially advantageous for children who come from troubled families, in that their parents' lack of moral values can be offset by values provided within the school itself, in addition to academics. This would also dramatically help towns across the state where middle class families are forced to pay for private schools, in addition to paying taxes to pay for public schools. Now they could attend private schools with a scholarship, which would make these communities far more competitive in attracting business.
Have you ever taken an economics class in your life?

Last edited by sammyreynolds1977; 10-26-2015 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2015, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee/Biloxi
74 posts, read 57,974 times
Reputation: 115
I have become very concerned about the impact that the state flag has on MS economically, and its image in general. I am neutral on the flag to a certain degree, in spite of my published letters in support of a new one. I realize that I am not a resident of MS, however, after seeing 49 of the other states, MS is, and always will be, my elect. My family reigns from the Gulf Coast with a 100 year history, and we have a condo there as well, so I do have a somewhat vested interest.
My major issue with the flag is this: MS, or any other state for that matter, is in no position to promote, show or imply anything that may be objectionable to anyone...especially someone that may be in a position to better the economic health of that state...whether it be new jobs or added tourism dollars. It is the responsibility of the elected officials to protect the residents of that state, and that includes protecting them economically as well. MS, being the poorest state in the nation, can simply no longer afford to risk the possibility that its flag may turn off someone from visiting or possibly wanting to move an industry into the state. I'm not going to say this will happen; (look at Nissan and Toyota), but we are currently in a hyper sensitive world... to everything... so why risk the economic health of nearly 3 million people? Finally, it is my opinion that Gov. Phil Bryant is nothing less than a sheer political coward for not following the footsteps of Gov. Nikki Haley of SC. and removing the flag at once, or at the very least, requesting a special secession to convene on the issue. Waiting until January...REALLY...can we afford a few more months of the ridicule? Sometimes a Governor has to be like a parent to his/her residents, and not always do what the child wants, but to do what is good and right for the child...out of love.
Governor Bryant...get some balls and do the right thing for which you were elected to do...and that is protect your residents economic welfare!! You CAN NOT afford not too!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2015, 02:40 PM
 
8,954 posts, read 5,091,527 times
Reputation: 9271
maybe they need to cut off state funding to the school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2015, 07:07 PM
 
647 posts, read 635,896 times
Reputation: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
maybe they need to cut off state funding to the school
will people like you shut up with the same tired argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2015, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
3,191 posts, read 4,136,879 times
Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
will people like you shut up with the same tired argument.
Perhaps not...

Governor calls out Ole Miss over state flag removal | Local News - WAPT Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2015, 11:02 PM
 
1,100 posts, read 2,607,804 times
Reputation: 1037
Default econ class

Sammy, why the statement about economics?

I'm guessing that your point is that eliminating the personal income tax will leave the state government without revenues?

If that's your point (I'm guessing), they can eliminate the income tax without losing government revenues. One way is to phase out the tax at about the same pace as state tax revenues grow annually. E.g. if economic growth causes state revenues (through all forms of taxes) to increase 5% per year, then in six years that means revenues will have increased by 30% just from economic growth. Therefore, if the personal income tax is generally about 30% of total state revenues, then over six years the state should be able to phase out the personal income tax without any overall reduction to state revenues.

Another way could be to gradually add other taxes (e.g. property taxes) while the income tax is phased out. The reason the income tax is so important is because that's the tax that most effects potential investors (to add jobs), i.e states with the lowest income tax will do the best at attracting investors. This has been a huge advantage for Tennessee, Florida and Texas among other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2015, 01:50 PM
 
647 posts, read 635,896 times
Reputation: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Sammy, why the statement about economics?

I'm guessing that your point is that eliminating the personal income tax will leave the state government without revenues?

If that's your point (I'm guessing), they can eliminate the income tax without losing government revenues. One way is to phase out the tax at about the same pace as state tax revenues grow annually. E.g. if economic growth causes state revenues (through all forms of taxes) to increase 5% per year, then in six years that means revenues will have increased by 30% just from economic growth. Therefore, if the personal income tax is generally about 30% of total state revenues, then over six years the state should be able to phase out the personal income tax without any overall reduction to state revenues.

Another way could be to gradually add other taxes (e.g. property taxes) while the income tax is phased out. The reason the income tax is so important is because that's the tax that most effects potential investors (to add jobs), i.e states with the lowest income tax will do the best at attracting investors. This has been a huge advantage for Tennessee, Florida and Texas among other states.
There's a reason why the Philip Gunn's bill went nowhere last legislative session. But we are derailing the thread, so let's keep the thread on track. BTW you're the only that brought it up in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2015, 05:52 PM
 
25 posts, read 19,220 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Hahaha.
Governor is playing the dumb country folks for votes.

And they'd fall for it.
Did they cut funding to Ms state, Alcorn state, MS Valley state? Hahahaha

Budgets are bigger than one man. He CANNOT cut funding to Ole miss even if he wished. Ole miss has the states political elites,most of whom agree with the flag removal. The two state senators agree as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top