U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 11:06 AM

1,061 posts, read 809,189 times

Advertisements

Thing is, if they did go back to the 1861 flag, with out the St. Andrew's Cross on it, it wouldn't be a big seller.

Makes for an awkward belt buckle.

Georgia just put the state seal in the middle of the original Confederate flag and a lot of Southern states are echos of Confederate flags.

What if Mississippi swapped the St. Andrew's Cross with the St. George version?

I also think there would be some outrage with the re-installment of the 1861 flag, but most wouldn't care since it didn't have 'those evil cross stars' on them.

As a last point, if I remember right, Jerad and Amanda Miller covered their police victims with a Gadsden flag, but no one went to the American Tea Party to demand change (or boycotted soccer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 05:56 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,294,585 times
My suggestion for a new Mississippi state flag that honor's it's southern heritage and will be unique and beautiful:

a brilliant blue background, a large white magnolia blossom in the center with a green leaf or two to add a third color.

Since Mississippi is known as "the magnolia state" why not honor the state flower? Everyone associates the magnolia with the South, so it pays tribute to the South.

I'm told that Mississippians were proud of the very first flag of the Confederacy - "The Bonnie Blue Flag" - which was nothing more than a large white five-pointed star against a blue background. This will pay a discreet homage to the CSA without offending anyone!

What is your opinion???

Old 03-09-2016, 09:46 AM

2,791 posts, read 3,878,939 times
It sounds similar to the "Magnolia Flag", which was the official state flag during the civil war. But a good idea.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:23 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,121,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
It sounds similar to the "Magnolia Flag", which was the official state flag during the civil war. But a good idea.
The problem is these groups want no reference to the Confederacy.

The Magnolia Flag is a gigantic reference to the Confederacy.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:03 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,121,353 times
Plaque placed at University Grays statue at Ole Miss.

Ole Miss Puts History In Context With Plaque | HottyToddy.com

Text for contextual plaque on Confederate statue announced - The Daily Mississippian | The Daily Mississippian

Old 08-27-2016, 02:52 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,079,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Certainly, it will be next, after that, the statues, the roads,streets, any thing that offends.
Yep! Some people make a good living by getting offended!

Old 08-27-2016, 04:53 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,044,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm told that Mississippians were proud of the very first flag of the Confederacy - "The Bonnie Blue Flag" - which was nothing more than a large white five-pointed star against a blue background. This will pay a discreet homage to the CSA without offending anyone!

What is your opinion???
why not just put it to a state vote and if they lose them them to get over it, you cant always get what you want, and if the people decide to remove it, just remove the bars part.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:18 PM

5,157 posts, read 3,595,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
why not just put it to a state vote and if they lose them them to get over it, you cant always get what you want, and if the people decide to remove it, just remove the bars part.
It was put to a state vote in 2001.
https://flagspot.net/flags/us-ms-rf.html

Old 08-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 2 days ago)

47,626 posts, read 45,275,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
It was put to a state vote in 2001.
https://flagspot.net/flags/us-ms-rf.html
I think what was meant by that is put it to a vote THIS year.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:37 PM

5,157 posts, read 3,595,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think what was meant by that is put it to a vote THIS year.
And if its put to a statewide vote THIS year and the results are the same, then what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi