U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 05:07 PM

1,202 posts, read 491,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibiloxi View Post
This is precisely why MS receives, and deserves, its negative image. What a bunch of stupid, backward illiterates that run this state! Most of you are too blind to see the real issue, which is purely economic. But hey, MS is the poorest state in the nation and ranks dead last in almost every ranking there is...and will continue to do so; I guess we like it like that. God forbid we may make one small gesture that would eliminate offense to nearly 40% of our residents, and show the rest of the US that we too can change for the better. God forbid we may put forward an image that would enhance all the great things that are MS, and maybe spark an interest in someone to visit, start a business, or simply speak kindly about the state! And I am sick to death of hearing about heritage (my family has over a 100 year history in this state)...take that worthless, pitiful flag and shove it down your throats and choke on it...that's what I say about your heritage!
Bro.....you mad? ROFL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:29 PM

639 posts, read 634,193 times
Miss St has removed the flag on campus. State flag comes down at MSU, MUW

Old 08-30-2016, 08:30 PM

639 posts, read 634,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
And if its put to a statewide vote THIS year and the results are the same, then what?
I actually think the vote would be the same as 2001.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:26 AM

3,191 posts, read 4,133,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
I actually think the vote would be the same as 2001.
Probably by similar margins too.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:23 AM

808 posts, read 778,823 times
The other flag we had to vote for in 2001 was turrible (as Charles Barkley would say). Providing a decent option would be the first step. I think the magnolia flag would get some traction; however, I'm not sure how SJWs would react as it was the state flag after succession.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:14 PM

2,984 posts, read 2,137,389 times
I bet there's an artist somewhere in the State of Mississippi who could come up with something creative that would keep the Confederate Flag where it is on the state flag and replace the part of the red stripe that's directly below the Confederate Flag with something that would symbolize justice, equality, peace and unity of the races. There would still be the red, white and blue on the right side of the flag, in equal lengths.

Surely somebody can come up with something that would satisfy the majority of everybody, regardless of race.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 PM

1,068 posts, read 817,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I bet there's an artist somewhere in the State of Mississippi who could come up with something creative that would keep the Confederate Flag where it is on the state flag and replace the part of the red stripe that's directly below the Confederate Flag with something that would symbolize justice, equality, peace and unity of the races. There would still be the red, white and blue on the right side of the flag, in equal lengths.

Surely somebody can come up with something that would satisfy the majority of everybody, regardless of race.
Or they could do like Georgia did and take the real flag of the Confederacy and slap the state seal in the middle of the circle of stars.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,133,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Or they could do like Georgia did and take the real flag of the Confederacy and slap the state seal in the middle of the circle of stars.
Which real flag?

First National? Second National? Third National?

They all look really different.

I'll just stick to the soldier's battle flag thank'ya. Most of Mississippi agreed back in 2001.

And there have been artists who have made "alternatives" to the current one, the most prominent was by Lauren Stennis.

As you can imagine, it looks bland and terrible.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:27 AM

47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
And if its put to a statewide vote THIS year and the results are the same, then what?
I don't know. All I know that I find such a flag deplorable.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:30 AM

1,068 posts, read 817,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know. All I know that I find such a flag deplorable.
And apparently even the U.S. flag is becoming deplorable.

Occidental College students vandalize 911 memorial - CNN.com

Quote:
Occidental College is investigating the vandalism of a 9/11 memorial on campus after the US flags used in the display were tossed in the trash.
The Occidental College Republican Club said it had planted 2,997 tiny flags -- one for each of the victims of the September 11, 2001, attacks -- on the quad of the Los Angeles liberal arts college of 2,100 students.
"Vandals crushed, snapped and threw in the garbage every single flag," the college GOP club said on Facebook. "Not one was left in the ground."
On Sunday, a post had appeared on the Facebook page of a student group called Coalition Oxy for Diversity and Equity (CODE), "regarding the distress many students experienced when walking through the quad" where the US flags were present.
"On a campus that proclaims itself time and again to be diverse, equitable and safe for all of its students, the display of American flags covering the entire Academic Quad disproved that proclamation."
"As students of color, this symbol of the American flag is particularly triggering for many different reasons. For us, this flag is a symbol of institutionalized violence (genocide, rape, slavery, colonialism, etc.) against people of color, domestically as well as globally."
We are living in a trigger-filled world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi