U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 08:02 AM

5,146 posts, read 3,589,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
This is way out of control, first the flag, then the toy maker removing it from the Dukes of Hazzard car, now your neighbor over there in New Orleans wants to remove the statute of General Lee in Lee Circle....GASP....I'm appalled and I'm a dam yankee.

Gen Lee was instrumental in securing the US victory in the Mexican/American war.
He was instrumental in the healing after the Civil War.
They still teach his battle methods at West Point!!

So we wipe out all this? Are we going to rewrite the history books as well??

Has Mitch lost his mind??

IMO politicians and corporate America are using this horrific tragedy to thrust themselves in the limelight....hope it back fires on them big time.
But its going to solve all of the problems. Life will be so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 AM

15,474 posts, read 17,630,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin' Sam View Post
Fact is, people are in denial.
What is, "Southern Heritage" without slavery?

The United States... not just the South, was built on the back of slavery.
And all this double-talk around Patriotism Vs. State's Rights.
Which is why the Confederate flag is just the tip of the iceberg. I am sure you will join the righteous in dismantling all the symbols of oppression that taint the good name of the United States: The American flag, Religious symbols, the images and veneration of George Washington, Jefferson, the rest of the founding fathers and any White people pre-Civil rights movement, all remnants of industry and agriculture, the manifestation of which are the very engines of human oppression.

Etc.

Seriously, this trend to define other people's symbols for them is propaganda and tyranny.

We need to educate people about the origin, use, and co-option of symbols, not censor them or shame their proponents into self-censorship. Especially for socio-political means.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:41 AM

21,254 posts, read 21,755,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Now, with people from outside TELLING Mississippians to change their flag, is not the time for change. Mississippi should keep that tacky old Dukes of Hazzard thing, just to irritate the Yankees.

Keep, the flag, just for SPITE. And I'm not joking.....
I can certainly see why you would think that after 150 years of Yankees telling your state to jump and you having to ask how high?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:45 AM

2,790 posts, read 3,875,665 times
This thread stayed civil for so long... some heated discussions between regular contributors, but mostly civil. Now the haters from both sides are coming out of the woodwork to sling non-sensical arguments around.

This isn't the rough and tumble Politics and Controversies forum, this is the Mississippi forum. Keep it civil or the thread will be closed.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:15 AM

13,098 posts, read 24,814,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Now, with people from outside TELLING Mississippians to change their flag, is not the time for change. Mississippi should keep that tacky old Dukes of Hazzard thing, just to irritate the Yankees.

Keep, the flag, just for SPITE. And I'm not joking.

However, if outsiders were not trying to force a new flag upon Mississippi, I would go with what my Decorator and Ad Man have come up with: a simplified version of the Greek Wave design: http://www.borderchoice.com/images/p...62b37ef635.jpg

Imagine a white 'sky', interlocking with a blue 'ocean/river', below. The blue would be a pretty azure color. I like it, because it's calming and cooling. It would be pleasant to see such a flag waving in the breeze. Such a flag would look classy and expensive. It would be as if Ralph Lauren, Mississippi's Moses, had caused his design team to create a visual theme for us.

That's enough for ME: but most people demand symbolism, too. The Greek Wave flag would symbolize the 'Mighty Mississippi' river, the sparkling waters of Mississippi's Gulf Coast, and the myriad beautiful lakes and waterways of my home state. And it would honor the Greek Democracies from which our own democracy springs.
Gloria:

I am a north east yankee with a great grandfather who fought with the Union army in the civil war, the Confederate flag does not irritate me in the least.

What irritates me is self righteous politicians thrusting themselves front and center on the heels of this horrific tragedy with their pompous actions.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:03 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,118,637 times
Given that the Governor and Lt. Governor of Mississippi are opposed to the change, anything is possible now.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:17 PM

630 posts, read 628,122 times
Hattiesburg's mayor has removed the flag from city buildings. This should be interesting.....

Old 06-25-2015, 03:05 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,118,637 times
Bryant has gone out saying he won't call in a special session for changing the flag.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:05 PM

630 posts, read 628,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Bryant has gone out saying he won't call in a special session for changing the flag.
I didn't think he would. I'm sure it will be brought up during the legislative session next year but nothing will be done about it.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:16 PM

1,325 posts, read 1,004,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post

Phil Bryant is coming up for reelection later this year and is obviously hedging his bets that the majority of Mississippians (particularly his base) still support keeping the flag as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi