U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:25 AM

1,100 posts, read 2,598,798 times

Advertisements

Wow, some fascinating posts. I'll be the first to say I'm no expert in Biblical issues, not even remotely, although I have taken some courses etc. There is no telling what the circuit clerk believes in regard to some of the posts above (i.e. follow the OT to the letter; or only follow the NT to the letter), but my point was that even the NT could easily include lots of personal opinion by the writers and editors, which came to them in their own thoughts and prayers...or...was taught to them in their own local cultural traditions.

Somewhere, I think I read that Paul in his previous life had run his own divinity of sorts which taught the OT rules and regulations noted above (to which he had apparently devoted his life persecuting those who weren't following the rules, as seen today in places like Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan). And presumably all the OT-based rules Paul taught included opinions of their local culture at the time on marital rules. If that were the case, then what Paul writes (in the letter he wrote to church members one time in Corinth, Greece) probably reflects the rules he was taught from his local cultural traditions and what was taught in his religious school (pre-NT).

In other words, much of what's in this letter basically is just his opinion based on what he learned in his own local culture, etc. Maybe not...I'm definitely no expert at all. Just putting it out there in response to the circuit clerk who said she will obey the Bible, not Man. If that's the case, isn't she basically obeying one guy's (Paul's) personal opinion based on what he had learned growing up from his local community? (in a world where virtually no one could read or write, there was no such thing as history books, no science, etc, etc). Why would the world, for the rest of history, apply rules based on one person's opinion found in a letter he wrote one time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 02:18 PM

2,952 posts, read 2,109,294 times
Good. She should resign and let somebody else do the job that she can't or wont do.

Don't confuse her for a hero. What she did is not heroic. She did the right thing by resigning. Doing the right thing does not make you a hero. Doing the right thing is doing what you are suppose to do. You don't get promoted to hero status by doing what you are suppose to do. She'll be just fine. She'll be able to draw her unemployment and maybe even sneak in a trip to Florida on her time off.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:49 AM

3,960 posts, read 2,091,675 times
Agreed, saying this as a former NE Louisiana resident (culturally identical to Mississippi in general and the Delta in particular). As Ivory said above, she did do the right thing by resigning (one thing I do respect about her, however grudgingly).

The problem is that people expect religious bodies to be the [I[de facto[/i] fourth branch of government*. Two facts are relevant here, both of which I'm sure are beyond dispute.

*God gives people freedom of choice - even the freedom to openly curse Jesus and his sacrifice on the cross in the same sentence IF they wish/choose to do so (I find this act as repulsive as any poster here does, but the fact that it does happen is inassaliable proof that He does give us that freedom).

*Governments cannot change the spiritual condition of any person. Even the strictest pro-Christian laws cannot make a person give his or her life to Christ. So even the laws of the type I imply still would save nobody, not even ONE, from God's judgement. Thus, having the church influence government policy destroys freedom without any benefit gained from such a destruction of it.

Put those two notions together, and it's easy to see how having a "Christian" government will not be a strong weapon against sin any more than Prohibition of the 1920s was effective at preventing alcohol consumption -- and our laws against smoking pot being a deterrent against pot smoking too, for that matter.

*or fifth branch, if you count the media / press as a likewise de facto branch, which I can sympathize with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or