U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 08:42 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,597,783 times

Advertisements

What I like about Starkville:

- Downtown - Traditional Main Street, now alive bustling with stores. Architecture definitely not as beautiful as Oxford, but it's steadily improving. A new city hall is under construction, standing at one end of Main St, which will be add a nice visual piece to downtown. What I would truly love to see is the block that contains two large bank buildings (catty-corner roughly to the historic Chester hotel there on Main St...and both banks are big, modern and ugly) razed and rebuilt into a historic Square, a la Oxford or New Orleans. No private developer is going to build something like that, which means the city must do it even it's not totally profitable once they sell it into private hands.

- Cotton District - Tiny but extremely charming and original. Great area that should grow over time into something truly unique and amazing.

- Hwy 12 - The legislature already funded (I think) a project named by the politicians "Grand Bullyvard", intended to convert Hwy 12 going in front of the university into a tree-lined, collegiate-style avenue forming the border of Mississippi State (a la Chapel Hill, NC).

- South entrance to Mississippi State - A new 3- mile road is being built looping around the south side of town, connecting Hwy 25 to a new south-campus entrance for Mississippi State. If you google Mississippi State's campus master plan, the new south entrance lawn is designed to look like a huge, classically landscaped collegiate lawn (to me the drawing looks somewhat like the central part of Alabama's campus) running from the new entrance up to basically the Junction and stadium area of the campus.

Hwy 12 commercial strip - Currently this road is a typical highway lined with ugly fast-food restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, etc. The mayor of Starkville just started an evaluation project for doing an "extreme makeover" of this road, i.e. adding a landscaped center median, historic street lamps, buried power lines, trees lining both sides and arching over the road, festive banners, sidewalks, brick crosswalks etc. (and maybe they could add roundabouts like Capitol Street in downtown Jackson...)

South Montgomery Drive - Very nice newish residential area with median household income equivalent to Madison.

Industry - The Starkville-Columbus area (especially by the airport) has attracted several billion dollars of industries making Mack truck engines, helicopters, drone aircraft, steel, tires, etc. They are now are ranked as the 10th strongest economy in the nation among some 500 "micropolitan" areas.

Lake - They have the Tennessee-Tombigee and a smallish county lake near Starkville, but I think to add some pizazz to the community, they should build a lake or series of lakes that will really set off the city, say, the way all the lakes in Minneapolis do (elegant, surrounded by trees, landscaping, running and biking trails, and elegant neighborhoods...and integrated right into the city).

Schools - Since the highest ranked schools near Starkville are in neighboring Choctaw and Webster counties (both have schools that are top 10 in the state), I think they should build some interstate-style roads going directly from the heart of Starkville to these counties. They already have Hwy 82 going towards Eupora, but anything south from there to Ackerman gets into some nice wooded, hilly terrain that would be ideal for growing suburban areas (and has high rated schools) but is only connected to Starkville by narrow 2-lane roads. And East Webster schools also been top 10, Hwy 82 takes you straight there but roads north from Hwy 82 into the county aren't great. These areas could easily be the Brandon and Madison of the Starkville area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 05:51 AM
CTC

665 posts, read 1,199,783 times
We recently spent the night in Tupelo driving from MT to FL. I thought it was a pretty town with friendly people . Hope to go back some day. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed driving on 78 even with Uhaul pulling an Auto transport.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:37 PM

6,510 posts, read 8,998,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricelageorge View Post
Not desirable? really? call center is a great career with time flexibility. Call center jobs fit for everyone, homemaker want a part-time job, retirees want additional cash, young college students want extra cash etc.. That is the best job for everyone. For Mississippi, what else you can get? A high-tech internet start-up?
Some people want actual careers, and being in a call center job isn't what most would deem a true career field. Bravo for the state having some, I'm sure they're a step up from fast food, but it's many rungs down from where most people want to be.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:58 AM
Status: "Pondering the difference between America and AmeriKKKa" (set 1 day ago)

3,958 posts, read 2,088,228 times
It depends on what you call small, so I'll give two standards:

a) Nonmetropolitan by the census bureaus definition in 1990 (I know this sounds anachronistic but unless I misread, today even Copiah and Simpson counties are considered part of the Jackson MSA. Last I checked those counties characters are anything but 'metropolitan')

b) Cities without the studios of a long-established (read pre-Fox "Big Three" commercial stations).

For standard (a), i would guess Tupelo, Starkville, Oxford, or Laurel. For standard (b) I will scratch Tupelo off the list.

If I had to choose between the two, Id choose Laurel - mainly because you're closer to more "stuff" within a given driving distance - including "fun" places. Yes, Oxford is closer to Memphis than Laurel is to NOLA, or even than Laurel is to Biloxi. Still, the seemingly prevailing Oxford mentality doesn't really sit well with me (sorry mom and RIP, Ole Miss Med Sch graduate she was). Starkville seems to have more poverty in many spots (not all, but enough), plus it's not the most accessible town - not to mention remote from Birmingham, Memphis, and even Jackson (apologies also to grandpa, RIP, State grad he was).

Old 10-16-2015, 10:00 PM

25 posts, read 19,120 times
Oxford is the best small town in Mississippi by a mile..

It's growing fast, lots of things to do, good dining options and it has a lot going for it.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:41 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,013,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyBlackMale View Post
Oxford is the best small town in Mississippi by a mile..

It's growing fast, lots of things to do, good dining options and it has a lot going for it.
You're damn right about Oxford, dude. It's an awesome place.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:01 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,449,688 times
Call center work is lousy work. If you have NO skills, it's something, but those places are dead end places. Aggravating, depressing work too. I used to do telemarketing for arts organizations and market research companies. This was a step up from call centers, especially the arts places, where you could make real money during the subscription drive. But it's still phone work, and the burn out factor is high and the job satisfaction is low. I would like to see them do better than that for Starkville.

I like Oxford for a nice small town, but it's too dominated by the university. If you aren't connected to it, it might not be a good place to live. The college football season would be sheer hell if you lived near downtown. For my money, only the coastal cities like Gulfport, Pass Christian, Biloxi, etc are good to live in. The vibe is real different on the coast. When I lived there, just going 20 miles in a northerly direction put you right smack into the most conservative, backwards places you can ever imagine. Don't forget, by and large, small towns everywhere mean small minds, where everyone knows everybody else's business. No thank you.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:20 AM

6,510 posts, read 8,998,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Call center work is lousy work. If you have NO skills, it's something, but those places are dead end places. Aggravating, depressing work too. I used to do telemarketing for arts organizations and market research companies. This was a step up from call centers, especially the arts places, where you could make real money during the subscription drive. But it's still phone work, and the burn out factor is high and the job satisfaction is low. I would like to see them do better than that for Starkville.

I like Oxford for a nice small town, but it's too dominated by the university. If you aren't connected to it, it might not be a good place to live. The college football season would be sheer hell if you lived near downtown. For my money, only the coastal cities like Gulfport, Pass Christian, Biloxi, etc are good to live in. The vibe is real different on the coast. When I lived there, just going 20 miles in a northerly direction put you right smack into the most conservative, backwards places you can ever imagine. Don't forget, by and large, small towns everywhere mean small minds, where everyone knows everybody else's business. No thank you.
This is all very true.

I spent most of my time living in Meridian Mississippi, but I visited the coast regularly. It's a completely different world down there, hardly feels like Mississippi at all. The accents fade and in many places evaporate completely, especially among the younger people. The area is actually progressive, for Mississippi standards, there is actually decent growth in both population and jobs, the shopping is plentiful, and the attitudes are better. It's one of the few places where when you drive north you're actually going south. You're right, just 20 miles north of Gulfport and you're back in the heart of the deep south, the Gulf Coast is very different from the rest of the state, in a good way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or