U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 09:25 AM

31 posts, read 24,877 times

Advertisements

Which city is most desirable to live?
What part, north or southern parts of either city is most desirable to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 03:45 PM

323 posts, read 348,787 times
Id have to give a very slight edge to Biloxi. IMO Biloxi and Gulfport are pretty even. But Biloxi seems to have slightly better housing stock than does Gulfport.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,598,468 times
Both cities have nice neighborhoods, that are somewhat close to each other.

In Gulfport, Bayou Oaks is one of the nicest areas, off Cowan Rd just north of Bernard Bayou. The homes on either side of Bernard Bayou are very nice.

In Biloxi, just south of the Back Bay of Biloxi, on either side of Popps Ferry Rd, are very nice homes. Typically the most expensive homes are on the water (not the beach, because of the hurricanes), specially on the Back Bay of Biloxi and Bernard Bayou which is what the Back Bay feeds into as it goes through Gulfport.

In comparing the two cities, they are very close, but I would say that in general Gulfport has a larger section of upper middle class as well as a larger section of lower income...whereas Biloxi probably has slightly less on both the low end as well as the high end.

North of I-10, the nicest neighborhoods include Florence Gardens, which is in Gulfport (it's stunning and magazine-beautiful)...and to the north of both cities is a community called Tradition, which is also nice. These are both new.

For nice middle class areas, in Gulfport north of I-10 you can look along West Wortham Rd, Swan Rd and O'neal Rd. In Biloxi, you can check the area called North Biloxi which is basically the area north of the Back Bay of Biloxi and south of I-10, along Popps Ferry Rd.

Keep in mind that just east of Biloxi is Ocean Springs which is very nice. And just west of Gulfport are Long Beach and Pass Christian, which are also very nice. Pass Christian, Ocean Springs and Long Beach have some of the highest rated schools in the state.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:48 AM

31 posts, read 24,877 times
Thank you for informative and usable information.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:18 PM

26 posts, read 28,107 times
I am considering retiring to Mississippi. In particular, I am looking at Gulfport, Biloxi, or Hattiesburg. Which would be best for a retired couple? Hattiesburg has Southern Miss, but G and B have the ocean. I plan on visiting this summer. Thanks for all of your information/opinions.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,042,447 times
there really no diffenents, its hard to tell where one starts and one ends

Old 01-31-2016, 02:28 PM

13,458 posts, read 8,479,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
there really no diffenents, its hard to tell where one starts and one ends
We hold these truths to be self evident:
People in Mississippi spell a little better than people from some other places.
The people in Mississippi know what that squiggly red line under a word means.

Just puttin' it out there.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:00 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,029,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadskier View Post
I am considering retiring to Mississippi. In particular, I am looking at Gulfport, Biloxi, or Hattiesburg. Which would be best for a retired couple? Hattiesburg has Southern Miss, but G and B have the ocean. I plan on visiting this summer. Thanks for all of your information/opinions.
To be honest, you can't really go wrong with either Hattiesburg or the coast. If you can't decide, you could live between both areas in Stone County. Another alternative is Pearl River County, which borders Stone to the west. Here, you're an hour or less from Hattiesburg, about the same from New Orleans, and about 30-45 from the coast (at least to the Bay St. Louis/Waveland area).

Old 02-07-2016, 04:22 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,042,447 times
for retirement, diamond head is nice

Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,598,468 times
What I find appealing about Hattiesburg is the feeling that everything is new and very nice, in particular out Hwy 98 west. Lots of nice subdivisions, shopping, etc. By the look of many of the buildings and homes (e.g. medical buildings, some of the shopping centers, churches, etc), it seems fairly upscale and fast-growing (although very much a highway-based type of development, etc).

The Coast is quite different. It doesn't present with any one particular flashy upscale new area, because it's so much more spread out. But what you get instead is a spread out panoply of impossibly beautiful places such as downtown Bay St Louis; the beachfront drive through Pass Christian, and downtown Ocean Springs.

You also get a very charming, newly revived downtown Gulfport (lots of character!) and a booming, bustling, alive downtown Biloxi (Beau Rivage, Hard Rock, Golden Nugget, Harrahs Gulf Coast, new baseball stadium, and cozy restaurant row on Lameuse Street).

And downtown Ocean Springs is feeling more sophisticated by the day, with its main streets downtown, Washington Ave and Government Street, with restaurants and bars oozing quiet sophistication ("are we Nashville? is this DC?"...you ask yourself for a very momentary split-second. Actually, no. Even better. You're in Ocean Springs, Mississippi right on the warm and breezy Gulf of Mexico and life couldn't be better.

The Coast is spread out because people with money prefer to live near the water, and consequently the nicer homes are spread out here and there all the way from Waveland and Bay St. Louis on the west end over to Ocean Springs on the east end, spanning nearly 50 miles. This includes homes on the Back Bay of Biloxi, Gulfport's Bernard Bayou, and other inlets and waterways, with lovely waterside homes sneaking into little canal-side and bay-side spots here and there, anywhere they can manage to find a spot.

I did note recently that the intersection of I-10 and I-110 (the I-10 exit for Biloxi) has emerged as the hot location for brand-new retail on the Coast. Everything from Target to Lowes to the Cinema to Best Buy to home goods stores, along with steakhouses etc, have clustered together, all brand new, at that interchange. And a new (apparently quite beautifully designed) outdoor mall is being built right at the same spot.

I think this is because the nice, new Hwy 67 (bypass to Hwy 49) was built and after Katrina many of the areas nicest new developments moved along that new road (e.g. new university campus for William Carey Univ; new campus for private St Patrick's Catholic school, new campus of D'Iberville High School, and the new TND (traditional neighborhood development) called "Tradition" is underway with eventual plans to become its own city of 30,000 people. Eventually along this road, the Coast will finally have a single spot where everything is new and hopefully well-planned and leaning upscale.

One last point....Two of my favorite residential areas anywhere are Canebrake in Hattiesburg and Florence Gardens in Gulfport. Both have gorgeous new homes, wooded lots, lakes, and Florence Gardens has plans for a little town center and private school. Both to me feel like paradise and that's how I would feel on a daily basis if I lived in either place. Pure paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi