Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 09:54 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,750,545 times

Advertisements

Is the Kemper project an expensive debacle or ahead of its time?

Kemper Project's completion date could be pushed back again - Watchdog.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 02:34 PM

7,470 posts, read 6,213,806 times
Mississippi Power(Southern Company) didn't decide to build Kemper just to have a place to spend money. The plant is a response to the rules laid down by the EPA(obuma).

Old 10-23-2015, 06:42 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,216,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Mississippi Power(Southern Company) didn't decide to build Kemper just to have a place to spend money. The plant is a response to the rules laid down by the EPA(obuma).
There is no way a president can be blamed for the Kemper project; but if it was a president's fault that president would be Bush. I realize it's popular among certain people to blame our current president for everything they dislike, but the Kemper Project was proposed and the design process was started long before "Obummer" was in office, and even longer before he had any effect on the EPA. (And before you start, no, I did not vote for him either time and I am not a fan of his policies.)

Back on topic, burning coal is extremely dirty and dumps massive quantities of pollutants into the atmosphere that had previously been safely stored underground. People who deny this remind me of the anti-vaxers. People who can't remember or choose to not learn of an earlier time when millions of people died every year and multiple millions suffered miserable lives from things that modern technology has solved. The Clean Air Act and EPA have solved some of the problems with coal, but not all of them.

On the other hand, energy is a necessity, and coal is a very abundant natural resource that must be tapped to supply that energy. At least for now, "green energy" (wind/solar) technology just isn't there yet, and nuclear and hydro create as many or more problems than they solve. So that leaves coal and gas, and gas prices are highly variable. Coal is the only current mass fuel source that is steady, reliable, and not subject to massive global price fluctuations.

The Kemper Project is a first-of-it's kind next-generation coal gassification project. If it succeeds, it will pave the way for coal to continue as a fuel source for the future. Instead of being near last in almost every metric, for once Mississippi will be a leader.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:53 AM

25,420 posts, read 17,095,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
There is no way a president can be blamed for the Kemper project; but if it was a president's fault that president would be Bush. I realize it's popular among certain people to blame our current president for everything they dislike, but the Kemper Project was proposed and the design process was started long before "Obummer" was in office, and even longer before he had any effect on the EPA. (And before you start, no, I did not vote for him either time and I am not a fan of his policies.)

Back on topic, burning coal is extremely dirty and dumps massive quantities of pollutants into the atmosphere that had previously been safely stored underground. People who deny this remind me of the anti-vaxers. People who can't remember or choose to not learn of an earlier time when millions of people died every year and multiple millions suffered miserable lives from things that modern technology has solved. The Clean Air Act and EPA have solved some of the problems with coal, but not all of them.

On the other hand, energy is a necessity, and coal is a very abundant natural resource that must be tapped to supply that energy. At least for now, "green energy" (wind/solar) technology just isn't there yet, and nuclear and hydro create as many or more problems than they solve. So that leaves coal and gas, and gas prices are highly variable. Coal is the only current mass fuel source that is steady, reliable, and not subject to massive global price fluctuations.

The Kemper Project is a first-of-it's kind next-generation coal gassification project. If it succeeds, it will pave the way for coal to continue as a fuel source for the future. Instead of being near last in almost every metric, for once Mississippi will be a leader.
Actually, there is no international pricing for natural gas. As a result, natural gas is cheaper by far in the US than anywhere else in the world. It will likely be that way for a long time to come.

I am beginning to wonder if coal can be cleaned up enough to make it useful. For right now, the industry has been destroyed. Success at gasification may change that. But so far, the whole thing reminds me of a nuclear power plant where costs keep going up until the utility company just gives up.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:46 PM

799 posts, read 1,060,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Actually, there is no international pricing for natural gas. As a result, natural gas is cheaper by far in the US than anywhere else in the world. It will likely be that way for a long time to come.

I am beginning to wonder if coal can be cleaned up enough to make it useful. For right now, the industry has been destroyed. Success at gasification may change that. But so far, the whole thing reminds me of a nuclear power plant where costs keep going up until the utility company just gives up.
You are correct. Many people that just because natural gas is traded on the stock market like gasoline, that determines the price. Supply and demand determines the price of natural gas more than regular natural gas which over the past few years has been driven more by speculation than actual market fundamentals.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
You are correct. Many people that just because natural gas is traded on the stock market like gasoline, that determines the price. Supply and demand determines the price of natural gas more than regular natural gas which over the past few years has been driven more by speculation than actual market fundamentals.
You mean "gasoline" rather than "regular natural gas"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi