U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 01:21 PM

9,475 posts, read 9,352,955 times

Advertisements

The latter website is garbage!
Even if Elvis had Jewish ancestry, that didn't make him evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
I am always conscious of that as a possibility but the truth about Mississippi, its talent drain, its inability to attract and keep talent and its rankings are pretty good proof that consensus is on my side as well as it can be for any State in the union.
P.S. I apologize for going overboard, but you do come across as someone who complains too much.
Maybe you'd be happier in a big city in a "blue" state.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:35 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,211,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
P.S. I apologize for going overboard, but you do come across as someone who complains too much.
Maybe you'd be happier in a big city in a "blue" state.
And there you have it. A demonstration of much of the truth in what I am saying about Mississippi.

I am a rather right leaning person and pretty outspoken about it. In Mississippi, if you complain about the problems of Mississippi, many of which are quantifiable, but you are an outsider, you will be labeled, placed in a box and dismissed.

You just demonstrated that better than I could. You don't like what I have to say so you take a wild shot in the dark that I am probably something that would make it easier to understand why I say it. Instead of dealing with the real problems.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:46 PM

I am quite aware of the "real problems" of Mississippi, and I deal with them the best way I can.
Do you think if I moved to San Francisco and complained about what I perceived to be its problems, that my opinion would be respected?
You complain about how tough it is too be Jewish in Mississippi. You may as well go around wearing a T-Shirt reading "It's a Jewish thing. You wouldn't understand".
I think you're meshuga. I hope we never meet face-to-face, because you sound like someone who deserves a swollen lip!

Old 10-25-2015, 06:12 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,211,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I am quite aware of the "real problems" of Mississippi, and I deal with them the best way I can.
Do you think if I moved to San Francisco and complained about what I perceived to be its problems, that my opinion would be respected?
You complain about how tough it is too be Jewish in Mississippi. You may as well go around wearing a T-Shirt reading "It's a Jewish thing. You wouldn't understand".
I think you're meshuga. I hope we never meet face-to-face, because you sound like someone who deserves a swollen lip!

Again, you validate my opinions better than I ever could. Your solution to a difference of opinion and/or someone you don't like (an unknown faceless person who is nothing but words on a screen no less) is to think they deserve to have violence visited upon me in a veiled threat.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:32 PM

3,228 posts, read 4,190,244 times
Reboyne Shel Oylem! Ragazzi, smettere di agire PAZZO!

And now, back to what matters: I want to know about MISS CLAUDE. Dowager Soybean Empress says she was on WDRU, which, I presume was in Drew, which is about eight cotton fields away from Ruleville. This was in the Seventies. Anybody with her kind of moxy has to have been Jewish.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:45 PM

I apologize for failing to live up to the virtues of forbearance.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:50 PM

74 posts, read 57,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
That was interesting. Thank you for posting that.

The lack of anything Jewish in this state is one of the things that makes it intolerable. There were once many more Jews than there are now. The Jews, like many others left as part of a talent drain that has really hurt the state.

When I try to tell people about the lack of Jewish things in Mississippi, most people do not even have enough knowledge to understand what I am telling them. They mean well, they try to tell me all about "The Temple on Old Canton" or the Doctor they saw a few years ago that had a Jewish sounding name, or that I should go to their church because they are pro Israel. It is beyond frustrating and I cant lash out at those well meaning, but ignorant people. Even when I try to explain it, few "get it." Many of the educated people here have little experience outside of the state, most of the uneducated folks have even less.

Sure there are some Jewish folks here. We know many of them and are very grateful for it, but there is no Jewish infrastructure or any real community. No schools, kosher places to eat, nothing Orthodox, no Jewish community center....

Because of this, Mississippi is missing out on being able to attract one of the most productive and the wealthiest demographic. Affiliated Jews really cant come here and if they do, they most often do not stay. All those investment dollars and all that human capital and Mississippi can not even play that game.

Anyways, just venting. Of all the things I find lacking in Mississippi, this is the one most personal to me. Having said that, the Jewish history of Mississippi is fascinating.
Worse yet...there is little to no Armenian's either! As another group that has suffered genocide, their wealthy, productive demographic bypasses MS too...what a loss, or shall I say, nisht gut!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:53 PM

13,472 posts, read 8,486,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibiloxi View Post
Worse yet...there is little to no Armenian's either! As another group that has suffered genocide, their wealthy, productive demographic bypasses MS too...what a loss, or shall I say, nisht gut!
And the Lithuanians! Where are the Lithuanians?
Mongolians? Has anyone even SEEN a Mongolian restaurant in our state!? OK, OK, I did order the Mongolian Beef, but that was at a Chinese restaurant. And so far as I have seen, there is not ONE SINGLE yurt in which I can worship The Great Blue Sky!

Why, oh why! am I forced to live in such a place?

Old 11-15-2015, 06:41 AM

1,061 posts, read 809,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
And the Lithuanians! Where are the Lithuanians?
Mongolians? Has anyone even SEEN a Mongolian restaurant in our state!? OK, OK, I did order the Mongolian Beef, but that was at a Chinese restaurant. And so far as I have seen, there is not ONE SINGLE yurt in which I can worship The Great Blue Sky!

Why, oh why! am I forced to live in such a place?
What about finding a decent bagel with smear on the Gulf Coast? I miss Noah's/Einstein Bros.. There is a Noah's in New Orleans, but I'm not driving there - at least not for a steamed bagel....

I also miss Dim Sum, but that's another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or