U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:20 AM

1,071 posts, read 820,201 times

Advertisements

Jew Watch?

Kosher timepieces?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 10:28 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,000,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I do not think they have many Jews in MS but they have a lot of Jewish people in Atlanta and Nashville.
I think most Jews left Mississippi when big chain stores took away their traditional occupations as independent merchants. Vicksburg has a small museum about their presence. One shop owner I met in eiother Vicksburg or Natchez (I always shop independent) told me that she was of Jewish background but married to a Christian. She also seemed to be near totally acculturated as a standard white Mississipian in regards to Jewish culture, foods etc. .

Old 12-02-2015, 09:54 AM

9,534 posts, read 9,417,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
I think most Jews left Mississippi when big chain stores took away their traditional occupations as independent merchants.
And their children left for better opportunities elsewhere.
In a sense, the story of the Jews in Mississippi mirrors that of the Mississippi Delta Chinese, who primarily operated mom-and-pop groceries in Delta towns through much of the 20th Century. Their children also left.
Are you sure there's a Jewish museum in Vicksburg? There is one near Utica.
There's also a museum at Hebrew Union Temple in Greenville.

http://www.hebrewunion.org/

FWIW, Indianola has a Jewish mayor - Steve Rosenthal.

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 12-02-2015 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-02-2015, 08:44 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,000,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Are you sure there's a Jewish museum in Vicksburg? There is one near Utica.
There's also a museum at Hebrew Union Temple in Greenville.
There was last year at Christmas time. I should add, however, that the museum was a store front on the street facing the Yazoo. As a side note, the situation of the Jews in the Delta is mirrored in small town Wisconsin. Many of the stores in downtown Stevens Point were one operated by Jews. Then, the chains came and the downtown died. As in Mississippi, the local area could not offer much to their children.

Today, the synagogue is a museum and the attendant was catholic.. She told me that there were only a few Jewish people left in the town and the synagogue / museum only hosted partial services once or twice a year when either a Rabbi or qualified layman came from Chicago. The museum was interesting, but also kind of sad as the community has vanished.

Last edited by Cryptic; 12-02-2015 at 09:08 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 04:59 AM

1,071 posts, read 820,201 times
Fairly off-topic, but I hope someone finds this enjoyable:

Old Jews Telling Jokes

Old 12-05-2015, 10:40 AM

9,534 posts, read 9,417,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
The Jews would move to Mississippi and be the catalyst to start those things if there was a Jewish community with the Jewish infrastructure they need.

In other words it is a "darned if you do, darned if you don't." Mississippi lacks most the things needed to attract anyone or to keep its own talent here.

Every place has it challenges but Mississippi has nothing.
Your life in Mississippi sounds like a good subject for PBS's Independent Lens.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:00 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,333,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Thanks for posting!

Old 01-25-2016, 02:55 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,933,480 times
Quote:
While I get your point, what you don't understand is how a traditional Jewish community works. For example, Lithuanians, Mongolians and most groups can eat where they want. If you keep kosher, there is not a single Kosher restaurant in Mississippi. There are no schools to send your kids to that are Kosher and will understand all the days off they will need. There is no place of worship for Orthodox Jews....

There are many many other things, that few people would understand. Pretty much all people who have this problem solve it by not coming to a place like Mississippi. That is Mississippi's loss. The Jewish people, statistically not only do well, but better than any other group of people so they are fine. It is Mississippi that cant get a portion of that. As for "forced to live." there are a few folks who do not have much of a choice, such as people in the military or someone doing a medical fellowship.
Much of the US does not have a "Jewish infastucture". Mississppi is not alone in that, I would imagine places such as ND, WY, ME would be similar, really anywhere outside the metro areas of the Northeast, California, the Midwest and South Florida. There are pockets in larger cities like Atlanta, Denver, Seattle etc.

But this gets into the "chicken or the egg" scenario. There is not an Orthodox Jewish Community so the infrastructure is not there and because there is not an infrastructure no Orthodox Jews move there.

I don't think its fair to criticize Mississippi for the lack of the Jewish infastructure

And realistically most Jews in the US are not observant and are Jewish more like an Ethnic/cultural grouping not religious identity. Many also marry non-Jews

Last edited by jwolfer; 01-25-2016 at 03:24 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 08:09 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,217,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Much of the US does not have a "Jewish infastucture". Mississppi is not alone in that, I would imagine places such as ND, WY, ME would be similar, really anywhere outside the metro areas of the Northeast, California, the Midwest and South Florida. There are pockets in larger cities like Atlanta, Denver, Seattle etc.

But this gets into the "chicken or the egg" scenario. There is not an Orthodox Jewish Community so the infrastructure is not there and because there is not an infrastructure no Orthodox Jews move there.

I don't think its fair to criticize Mississippi for the lack of the Jewish infastructure

And realistically most Jews in the US are not observant and are Jewish more like an Ethnic/cultural grouping not religious identity. Many also marry non-Jews
All true, but fair or not, it is reality and it keeps away talented people.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:33 AM

2,987 posts, read 2,145,763 times
Quote:
That was interesting. Thank you for posting that.

The lack of anything Jewish in this state is one of the things that makes it intolerable. There were once many more Jews than there are now. The Jews, like many others left as part of a talent drain that has really hurt the state.

When I try to tell people about the lack of Jewish things in Mississippi, most people do not even have enough knowledge to understand what I am telling them. They mean well, they try to tell me all about "The Temple on Old Canton" or the Doctor they saw a few years ago that had a Jewish sounding name, or that I should go to their church because they are pro Israel. It is beyond frustrating and I cant lash out at those well meaning, but ignorant people. Even when I try to explain it, few "get it." Many of the educated people here have little experience outside of the state, most of the uneducated folks have even less.

Sure there are some Jewish folks here. We know many of them and are very grateful for it, but there is no Jewish infrastructure or any real community. No schools, kosher places to eat, nothing Orthodox, no Jewish community center....

Because of this, Mississippi is missing out on being able to attract one of the most productive and the wealthiest demographic. Affiliated Jews really cant come here and if they do, they most often do not stay. All those investment dollars and all that human capital and Mississippi can not even play that game.

Anyways, just venting. Of all the things I find lacking in Mississippi, this is the one most personal to me. Having said that, the Jewish history of Mississippi is fascinating.
That's not so unique to Mississippi. Pretty much everything that you wrote, you could have been talking about Indiana. I didn't know any Jews when I lived there. They were there but they were probably no more than 1 or 2 percent of the population, if that much. There was no such food as Kosher food stores in Indiana. Matter of fact, I doubt most Hoosiers would have ever heard of the word Kosher if it wasn't for television. There were no fresh bagels in the bakeries or in the grocery stores in Indiana in the 1960's and middle 70's, the year that I left. I never even heard of the word "bagel" until after i moved to Houston.

I'd venture to guess 98% of all Hoosiers know diddly-squat about anything involving Jewish culture, food, traditions, etc, except what they hear on television, and have even less interest in learning about it, except for maybe their food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or