U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 05:05 PM

350 posts, read 261,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
And the Lithuanians! Where are the Lithuanians?
Mongolians? Has anyone even SEEN a Mongolian restaurant in our state!? OK, OK, I did order the Mongolian Beef, but that was at a Chinese restaurant. And so far as I have seen, there is not ONE SINGLE yurt in which I can worship The Great Blue Sky!

Why, oh why! am I forced to live in such a place?

Being Lithuanian - thanks for the laugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 PM

3,234 posts, read 4,205,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
Being Lithuanian - thanks for the laugh!
I actually MET some Lithuanians in Jackson, in the Early Eighties. At the time, they were the most beautiful people I'd ever met. I asked where they were from... They were really nice, and didn't seem the sort who rounded-up Babette's distant relatives, for deportation (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6c63914d45.jpg)

And, of course, we had plenty of Litvak mentors, when we lived in the Jackson area (although that could get confusing, since 'Litvak' also meant "really, REALLY, smart", independent of nationality.)

Old 02-18-2016, 01:01 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,216,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

And, of course, we had plenty of Litvak mentors, when we lived in the Jackson area (although that could get confusing, since 'Litvak' also meant "really, REALLY, smart", independent of nationality.)

Yes indeed. Part of the irony of playing the Lithuanian card in a thread like this. My wife's maiden name is a Lithuanian town.

What you said and what I am saying will be lost on most people.

L'chaim!

Old 02-18-2016, 03:22 PM

1,446 posts, read 710,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
That's not so unique to Mississippi. Pretty much everything that you wrote, you could have been talking about Indiana. I didn't know any Jews when I lived there. They were there but they were probably no more than 1 or 2 percent of the population, if that much. There was no such food as Kosher food stores in Indiana. Matter of fact, I doubt most Hoosiers would have ever heard of the word Kosher if it wasn't for television. There were no fresh bagels in the bakeries or in the grocery stores in Indiana in the 1960's and middle 70's, the year that I left. I never even heard of the word "bagel" until after i moved to Houston.

I'd venture to guess 98% of all Hoosiers know diddly-squat about anything involving Jewish culture, food, traditions, etc, except what they hear on television, and have even less interest in learning about it, except for maybe their food.
There are definitely visible Jewish populations in Northwest Indiana, Bloomington, and Indianapolis.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:59 PM

350 posts, read 261,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I actually MET some Lithuanians in Jackson, in the Early Eighties. At the time, they were the most beautiful people I'd ever met. I asked where they were from... They were really nice, and didn't seem the sort who rounded-up Babette's distant relatives, for deportation (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6c63914d45.jpg)

My grandparents emigrated in the 20's from Lithuania.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:39 AM

135 posts, read 131,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
That's not so unique to Mississippi. Pretty much everything that you wrote, you could have been talking about Indiana. I didn't know any Jews when I lived there. They were there but they were probably no more than 1 or 2 percent of the population, if that much. There was no such food as Kosher food stores in Indiana. Matter of fact, I doubt most Hoosiers would have ever heard of the word Kosher if it wasn't for television. There were no fresh bagels in the bakeries or in the grocery stores in Indiana in the 1960's and middle 70's, the year that I left. I never even heard of the word "bagel" until after i moved to Houston.

I'd venture to guess 98% of all Hoosiers know diddly-squat about anything involving Jewish culture, food, traditions, etc, except what they hear on television, and have even less interest in learning about it, except for maybe their food.
As stated above, there is a sizable Jewish presence in Indianapolis, Bloomington, Northwest Indiana, and I believe smaller (but still present) communities in Ft. Wayne and South Bend. I grew up in Connersville, and even in a small town of roughly 15k we had a handful of Jewish families. Granted, there wasn't a Temple in town, but they were close enough to Indianapolis and/or Cincinnati to attend regularly. While you are correct that Indiana has a small Jewish presence compared to some places, I think the situation in Mississippi differs quite a bit. Indiana is really no different from most Midwestern states; Jewish population in urban areas, not so much in rural areas. In Mississippi, it has all but evaporated statewide.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:19 PM

47,983 posts, read 45,443,916 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congre...n,_Mississippi)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or