Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 04:41 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times

Advertisements

In my opinion more Jews will start to move to Mississippi when both the educational and economic infrastructure improves. Jewish families as a rule are attracted to the very best schools in the country and put emphasis on educating their children ... that is why you see so many Jewish students in the Ivy League universities and other distinguished universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 05:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
And the Lithuanians! Where are the Lithuanians?
Mongolians? Has anyone even SEEN a Mongolian restaurant in our state!? OK, OK, I did order the Mongolian Beef, but that was at a Chinese restaurant. And so far as I have seen, there is not ONE SINGLE yurt in which I can worship The Great Blue Sky!

Why, oh why! am I forced to live in such a place?
While I get your point, what you don't understand is how a traditional Jewish community works. For example, Lithuanians, Mongolians and most groups can eat where they want. If you keep kosher, there is not a single Kosher restaurant in Mississippi. There are no schools to send your kids to that are Kosher and will understand all the days off they will need. There is no place of worship for Orthodox Jews....

There are many many other things, that few people would understand. Pretty much all people who have this problem solve it by not coming to a place like Mississippi. That is Mississippi's loss. The Jewish people, statistically not only do well, but better than any other group of people so they are fine. It is Mississippi that cant get a portion of that. As for "forced to live." there are a few folks who do not have much of a choice, such as people in the military or someone doing a medical fellowship.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:58 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
In my opinion more Jews will start to move to Mississippi when both the educational and economic infrastructure improves. Jewish families as a rule are attracted to the very best schools in the country and put emphasis on educating their children ... that is why you see so many Jewish students in the Ivy League universities and other distinguished universities.
The Jews would move to Mississippi and be the catalyst to start those things if there was a Jewish community with the Jewish infrastructure they need.

In other words it is a "darned if you do, darned if you don't." Mississippi lacks most the things needed to attract anyone or to keep its own talent here.

Every place has it challenges but Mississippi has nothing.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:20 PM

74 posts, read 80,399 times
The hilarity of this post amazes me! Quite frankly, with all the problems MS faces, this issue should not even be a topic of conversation, let alone making the list of issues facing this state! I think MS will do fine, on its own, with or without a major Jewish population...there are many states without this demographic, and they seem to manage quite well. Education and getting rid of the good ol'boy system is what MS needs, not a mass influx of Jews...or anyone else for that matter. Oh, and forget about finding a decent bagel on the coast...they are non existent...this is biscuit country!

Old 11-30-2015, 02:23 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibiloxi View Post
The hilarity of this post amazes me! Quite frankly, with all the problems MS faces, this issue should not even be a topic of conversation, let alone making the list of issues facing this state! I think MS will do fine, on its own, with or without a major Jewish population...there are many states without this demographic, and they seem to manage quite well. Education and getting rid of the good ol'boy system is what MS needs, not a mass influx of Jews...or anyone else for that matter. Oh, and forget about finding a decent bagel on the coast...they are non existent...this is biscuit country!
Clearly you are being anti-semitic. You need to go to temple to learn what this ancient faith is all about...

Old 11-30-2015, 02:35 PM

74 posts, read 80,399 times
Yes, clearly...will go as soon as I am done washing my white hood! Incidentally, my father is Jewish.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:29 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
"Jew Watch" Crazy nonsense. Crazy hateful nonsense. Please tell me that not all Mississippians feel that way.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:11 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
"Jew Watch" Crazy nonsense. Crazy hateful nonsense. Please tell me that not all Mississippians feel that way.
The Jew Watch site has no connection to Mississippi. Its operator uses a Cornell University e-mail address.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I do not think they have many Jews in MS but they have a lot of Jewish people in Atlanta and Nashville.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:09 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
The Jew Watch site has no connection to Mississippi. Its operator uses a Cornell University e-mail address.
Correction: the Cornell e-mail apparently is not connected to the site but is just a reference. In any event the site has nothing to do with Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi