U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 05:04 PM

3,034 posts, read 3,043,914 times

Advertisements

I just get the feeling that I've met these people before.
Mississippi madness: expat life in America's weirdest state - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 06:35 PM

3,228 posts, read 4,188,603 times
All the usual stuff everybody always is supposed to say...

But thanks for the link. I couldn't bring myself to finish reading it, since it's SO the usual thing. Maybe I'll finish it later.

As someone who's escaped, though, I have to say that the worst thing about Mississippi is that anyone who aspires to ANYTHING (other than joining a church, playing football, or winning a beauty pageant) is ridiculed as pretentious/uppity/beyond-their-rearing/full-of-themselves. It wears you down. It's why the best and brightest leave, and why those who don't leave hide behind gates and hedges in Madison, counting the days until they can sell their property/retire/graduate - or until Mama dies, or MeeMee dies, or the Great-Grand-MeeMee dies (The state probably would be number one in 'Wishing for the Expedited Death of Elderly Relatives', if such a thing could ever be tabulated) - or the end of whatever it is preventing their escape.

Everything in Mississippi is about being low-down and laid-back and exactly like everybody else. It's a state of barbecue-eatin', sweet-tea-swillin' caricatures of people. You must assume one of the approved types of caricatures (The Bubba, The Wise-cracking Alcoholic Socialite described in the linked article, The Tonya, The Ricky, The Trey, The Ayshleigh...). There is no way to describe how oppressive it is, to have one's repertoire of social behaviors limited to sitting-around, being trivial and 'amusing' - and to have one's vocabulary limited to words "everybody" knows.

We were surrounded by a little 'pod' of friends who dared to be more than those things. But we were lucky. Many are not so lucky.

I really didn't want to leave. I should thank that white trash lynch mob for destroying the Madison CVS. Without that 'last straw', I would not have acquiesced to the demands of husband and children, and moved out here. I'd thought that the "better" feeling I got from visiting other places - was just an illusion - the thrill of travel. But after years here, I still feel better - less constricted - less censored - not weighed-down by whatever it is weighing people down, in Mississippi. Nor is the "new" of Aspen wearing off. I'd feared that owning a house there would somehow kill the relief I felt there. Not so. When we were renting in the Malibu Colony, I thought the thrill continued because we only had the house for the summer. But now, I'm thinking that if we actually buy a little house in the Colony, we'll keep right on loving the place.

We still keep the homesite in Madison - in case there's a volcanic eruption, or another Fukushima-type event, or something - making the West Coast uninhabitable. It's a little paradise behind high fences, where someone can park a tour bus, even though there's no house. So friends from Aspen and Malibu can 'camp' there, if they're doing a concert or a film in Madison County. But my attachment is waning, and we may sell, and get a place in Chile.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:28 PM

442 posts, read 526,703 times
About half way through this piece Grant asks,"What kind of an idiot goes on a picnic and ends up buying a house?" I immediately thought, "I would." I have to see this place. Probably within the next few months. Saw a beautiful little house for sale on Realtor.com located in Natchez that I would love to buy. We'll see. I know for certain that I'll like MS.

GG! Why would you want to move to Chile? Other than the astonishing beauty and divergent wildlife, I know little about it.

Last edited by Seadory; 10-25-2015 at 04:39 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 05:21 PM

9,473 posts, read 9,347,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
GG! Why would you want to move to Chile? Other than the astonishing beauty and divergent wildlife, I know little about it.
Good wine and produce come from Chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi