U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,405 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Jackson, MS for work, and don't know anyone in the area. I'm not crazy about the idea of hanging out at bars by myself, but would love to find other ways to meet up with people around my age (twenties) in the area. Girls.....guys.....doesn't matter. Just looking for people to hang out with. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 04:16 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,013,001 times
This should be moved to the Jackson forum, as you will find more info on it there.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:50 PM

3,228 posts, read 4,187,019 times
Find a church appropriate for your race, social class, education, IQ, worldview, sexual preference, substance addiction status, and income. Young adults classes are better than singles bars. And just because somebody's a preacher, don't assume he's off-limits (regardless of your gender - which you haven't shared with us).

Also, social networking sites are HUGE in the Jackson metro. Get to work on extra-good pics and profile!

And, if you're not the "churchey type", don't worry! The Hindus have a FABULOUS temple in Brandon, the Mosque is North of Madison, worshipers of Zerubbabel have a very active social calendar in Formerly Fashionable Northeast Jackson (FFNEJ), Atheists practice their anti-faith in Belhaven and Fondren, Mormons make housecalls, Seventh Day Adventists make housecalls, there are two covens of witches in Canton (To phrase it in Wizard of Oz terms, you got the Good Witches, and the Bad Witches, although they have different words for the dichotomy.), Santeria is wildly popular around the metro, and Doctors' wives worship Colonial Williamsburg.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:11 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,597,783 times
There are probably groups of people who ride bikes together. Check bike shops like Indian Cycle (I think it's still called) for something like that or you could check at Buffalo Peaks (outdoor goods store) for activities such as canoeing, biking, etc. The Natchez Trace is great for running, walking, cycling. There are a lot of nice gyms (The Club; Courthouse).

The art museum and symphony are very active and have groups for young people in their 20s. New Stage theatre might have groups for young people also. If you like boating and have the money, you could join the Jackson Yacht Club. For tennis, River Hills club is excellent but maybe too expensive. Ridgeland has some nice tennis centers I believe and active tennis leagues..

Fondren has art-related activities and other events. Most of the best bars and restaurants are in Fondren (Fondren Public for beer; Cups for coffee; Saltine for oyster bar; etc). Check Jackson Free Press publication for news on events.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:51 PM

3,228 posts, read 4,187,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
There are probably groups of people who ride bikes together. Check bike shops like Indian Cycle (I think it's still called) for something like that or you could check at Buffalo Peaks (outdoor goods store) for activities such as canoeing, biking, etc. The Natchez Trace is great for running, walking, cycling. There are a lot of nice gyms (The Club; Courthouse).

The art museum and symphony are very active and have groups for young people in their 20s. New Stage theatre might have groups for young people also. If you like boating and have the money, you could join the Jackson Yacht Club. For tennis, River Hills club is excellent but maybe too expensive. Ridgeland has some nice tennis centers I believe and active tennis leagues..

Fondren has art-related activities and other events. Most of the best bars and restaurants are in Fondren (Fondren Public for beer; Cups for coffee; Saltine for oyster bar; etc). Check Jackson Free Press publication for news on events.
Wonderful list, BrickPatio! All we have to go on, is hollabe0's screen name and Zip Code ( https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ja...791746e649d3ec ). While I have taken a faith-based approach, you have taken a more activities-based approach.

I can definitely see hollabe0 enjoying New Stage or the Yacht Club - or a cyclists club! It would be nice, though, if OP would describe himself/herself, and tell us how he/she managed to land in that particular corner of the Garden of Eden. We might able, then, to better tailor our recommendations.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,405 times
Thank you both for the advice. Great ideas! In order to be more specific, I must make a confession. I posted this for my sister who recently moved to Jackson for work. She is in her mid-20's. She is open to checking out church groups, but doesn't spend a ton of time outdoors. She also recently got a puppy, but apparently Jackson doesn't have an active dog park.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:15 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,597,783 times
There are very nice subdivisions with very nice, large homes just north of the town of Picayune. It's surprising for this area but I assume is tied to the nearby Stennis Space Center and adjacent suburbs of New Orleans.

The area in terms of the land is pretty, with rolling terrain, especially to the north of Picayune, pretty farms, and lots of pine forests and some hardwood forests.

I consider it one of the underrated locations in Mississippi because of its easy proximity to both the MS Gulf Coast and New Orleans. If you want statistical info, you can check usa.com.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:24 AM

1 posts, read 893 times
Church is where to go.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,153,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabe0 View Post
Thank you both for the advice. Great ideas! In order to be more specific, I must make a confession. I posted this for my sister who recently moved to Jackson for work. She is in her mid-20's. She is open to checking out church groups, but doesn't spend a ton of time outdoors. She also recently got a puppy, but apparently Jackson doesn't have an active dog park.
Jackson does have an active dog park. It's "private", but that only means you have to pay a small monthly fee to be a member. It's run by CARA which is the local animal shelter in Jackson.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:57 AM

1,450 posts, read 870,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabe0 View Post
I just moved to Jackson, MS for work, and don't know anyone in the area. I'm not crazy about the idea of hanging out at bars by myself, but would love to find other ways to meet up with people around my age (twenties) in the area. Girls.....guys.....doesn't matter. Just looking for people to hang out with. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Church is always best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or