U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:48 PM

3,227 posts, read 4,175,938 times

Advertisements

And we thought Jackson had sinkhole problems...

Sinkhole swallows over dozen cars in Meridian IHOP parking lot - Mississippi Business Journal

One minute you're enjoying - well - whatever it is they cook at an International House of Pancakes... pancakes, I guess. And the next minute, you glance out the window and see your Taurus sliding into oblivion. What is it with Mississippi and holes, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 05:18 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,009,797 times
Holy crap.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:16 AM

2,789 posts, read 3,865,052 times
Linear "sinkholes" like that are almost always man-made, and technically aren't "sinkholes". There will be a water main or storm sewer line running right down the length of the hole. It would have started leaking some time ago and washed the soil away alongside the pipe, then something triggered a cascading collapse.

Edit: Yep, from the CNN report:
Quote:
Mayor Percy Bland said the cave-in appears to be over the site of a former city culvert, according to WTOK. Crews will begin trying to remove some of the cars Monday, the mayor added.
And if you watch the drone footage at NBC, you can see a massive drainage culvert under the road at one end and a large ditch a the other. Since the IHOP just opened, it looks like the contractor cut a few corners during construction.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Linear "sinkholes" like that are almost always man-made, and technically aren't "sinkholes". There will be a water main or storm sewer line running right down the length of the hole. It would have started leaking some time ago and washed the soil away alongside the pipe, then something triggered a cascading collapse.

Edit: Yep, from the CNN report:

And if you watch the drone footage at NBC, you can see a massive drainage culvert under the road at one end and a large ditch a the other. Since the IHOP just opened, it looks like the contractor cut a few corners during construction.
Thanks for those links! This is way bigger than first reported (in more ways than one...). You're not kidding about that 'massive drainage culvert', either. You could drive a tank through that thing!

I should have named it 'TRENCH OF TERROR', though, as that's not exactly a 'hole'.

And thank you for your analysis of the problem. I think you've answered my question, "What is it with Mississippi and holes, anyway". There's a human component to the problem.

I wonder how many somebodies are scrambling, right this minute, to hide their assets, before they're frozen, and the litigation begins.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:31 AM

Default SWALLOWED WHOLE by HOLE! Gaping chasm! Meridian's made the DAILY MAIL!

Now I know why I've experienced a shift in style. I've been reading The Daily Mail a lot (They have the best pictures. And actually, they give a lot more basic information than do American news sources.).

Drone captures IHOP parking lot's 600ft sinkhole which swallowed 15 cars | Daily Mail Online

But really.... I realize the English probably think that Mississippi's a Third World place where everything's cheap. However, "The damage is likely to run into the THOUSANDS as repairs must be made to the cars, the land filled in and made safe, and re-tarmacked.", is rather an astonishing statement. Just how cheap, exactly, do they think things ARE, in Mississippi?

Maybe they took at face value, the caption in 'Great Mobile Homes of Mississippi': "Tornadoes cause hundreds of dollars of damage to mobile homes every year..."(Scroll down to the trailer with the tires on the roof). https://www.drbukk.com/content/23-the-trailer-park

Old 11-10-2015, 02:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,470,726 times
They really do serve scrambled eggs!

Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 PM

8,864 posts, read 5,010,707 times
that not a sinkhole, that is a construction failure for uncompacted soil on top of that drainage pipe and the heavy rainfall we had this weekend. when have you seen a sink hole in a straight line just happens to be on a pipe.

somebody going be buying some cars

Old 11-16-2015, 12:51 AM

Default You're right! This, in Kingfish's comments section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
that not a sinkhole, that is a construction failure for uncompacted soil on top of that drainage pipe and the heavy rainfall we had this weekend. when have you seen a sink hole in a straight line just happens to be on a pipe.

somebody going be buying some cars
I thought that culvert looked gargantuan. From Jackson Jambalaya:
Anonymous said... "The metal culvert is what collapsed, at the time it was the largest metal culvert ever installed in Mississippi. I was there when it was installed 15 years ago. At the time, the property was a Lincoln dealership. It was installed to alleviate flooding from the south side of the interstate after Bonita Lakes Mall opened. The area where the mall was built, was previously all trees. The runoff from the mall necessitated a larger drain"
November 12, 2015 at 2:00 PM

I saw a photo of the collapsed end of the culvert. Looks like it buckled at the top, and collapsed into two smaller arches. Probably collapsed one section at a time, which explains the series of 'booms' people heard. The culvert probably looked like metal quonset huts, lined up, end-to end. I'd be worried about that highway it runs under. I bet the record drought, followed by torrential rains, somehow created unanticipated "loading" for the arch (like maybe the dry soil down deep was not able to counter the thrust of the suddenly heavy wet soil above, causing 'spread', and thus collapse) (see, I do listen to my Decorator and his engineers...). Always anticipate the unanticipated...

Old 11-16-2015, 10:24 AM

13,344 posts, read 8,419,853 times
Thanks, everyone for this lesson in civil engineering. Just when you think people know that they're doing......

Time for a discussion of Yazoo Clay. That's the clay stuff that the ground in that area is made of.

Yazoo clay is predictable only in that you know darn good and well that it is going to expand and shrink - you have only a vague notion of how much, but you can bet it'll cause problems. Sometimes I-20 feels like a roller coaster. Other times it is fairly flat - all because of Yazoo Clay.

Here's an old article about the stuff. There is lots more information on the 'net.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...9,549485&hl=en

Old 11-28-2015, 09:44 PM

Default WAFFLES are even more dangerous than Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
They really do serve scrambled eggs!
Actually, I read about how they scramble their eggs.

And speaking of SCRAMBLED, the ante is apparently upped, in Mississippi, when you go from pancake houses to waffle houses. Waffle houses must be HARDCORE. It must be the equivalent of when, in my world, one moves up from ordinary Vegetarian eatery, to a Kosher Vegetarian place. Then again, maybe not. Anyway, breaking news is that a former Biloxi firefighter shot a server, when she insisted he put out his cig. Waffle House waitress Julie Brightwell

This follows the incident where two hunky veterans went to a Waffle House in another part of Mississippi, and were FOLLOWED by a gang of twenty-some-odd "men", after the two decided to leave, and go to the Huddle House, instead. A beating followed, resulting in horrific brain injuries for the really fine one with the big beard: Mississippi man beaten after he's warned restaurant wasn't safe for whites, witness says | NOLA.com

And who can forget the recent tragedy, when a much-respected Jackson man was beaten to death, allegedly by Arkel and Shrederrick, outside a waffle house: 2 charged in beating that killed MEMA worker | Jackson News - WAPT Home

Not saying that it's just purveyors of pancakes and waffles who have problematic clientele and lurkers (and sinkholes devouring parking lots). "Car Food" is a standard term in my circles, and most Mississippians I know prefer drive-thru establishments, and dining in the car, if we're on the road. "You never know just who or what you'll have to deal with, if you go inside!"

These are aversions most of us began to acquire in early childhood - based really, mostly, upon things as subtle as glances, body language, and a subtle "tension in the air". It really takes years of being away from Mississippi, to lose one's subtle aversion to going into "little places where we'll have to deal with the locals".

___
Oh, and to give equal time to Apartment Complex Sinkholes, which often get overlooked, here's one making news in Jacktown. I know you're here for the sinkholes, and I shan't disappoint: Huge sinkhole opens up behind Jackson apartment complex | Jackson News - WAPT Home

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 11-28-2015 at 10:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or