U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2015, 12:49 PM
 
124 posts, read 122,848 times
Reputation: 50

Advertisements

I am interested in learning more about Pearl River County, MS.
Could anyone tell me what they know about the area. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2015, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,790 posts, read 3,876,460 times
Reputation: 4296
Got anything more specific to narrow down the responses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 11:35 PM
 
124 posts, read 122,848 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Got anything more specific to narrow down the responses?
Anything you'd like to add I am fine with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2015, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,228 posts, read 4,187,019 times
Reputation: 11585
Many powerful interests down there. So, VOLAGS frequently find that trying to relocate horrible people from horrible places to Pearl River County can result in mafia-style 'hits'. The powerful somebodies out that way can 'reach out and touch', pretty-much anybody in America (a quote from 'Mississippi Mud'. https://books.google.com/books?id=K5...uch%22&f=false) Many of the most powerful men in Washington are from that end of Mississippi. Many inherited land down that way. Trying to "settle refugees" down there is not a good idea. At the very least, some big somebody will know your boss's boss's boss, and a VOLAG employee will find himself jobless, if he tries something.

Pearl River County, lifestyle-wise, is an extension of 'Da Nawtshoh' - the nicer part of the New Orleans metro area. It's very rural - the far, far, outer periphery of The Northshore . But while the big somebodies with big connections don't mind white trash and Yats, they do mind pretty much everything else.

Then again, Pearl River County is very close to "The Coast", which is the most corrupt region of the most corrupt state (somehow, Mississippi's taken the lead away from Louisiana). Nothing on the coast happens that is not sanctioned by organized crime, and the power brokers who've risen from its ranks. Even the nonprofits operate within its authority. Those 'interests' have their own people in the highest echelons of national government

Some New Orleans intellectuals have moved out that way, I hear. But they're no threat. They've lived in New Orleans, and know not to make waves. Pearl River County is within an hour of all the swinging and nudism going on in Saint Tammany Parish ("Swinging Capital of America", per a personal trainer at Franco's, who tried to recruit DH & me - I have a spectacular husband...). Picayune is booming with displaced Yats from Saint Bernard Parish and Slidell (post-Katrina). But really: those woods are scary. Lots going on, out there, sanctioned by super-powerful people, and, if I didn't want to end up like Jayne Mansfield, I'd be careful.

Really, if you work for a VOLAG, and somebody has assigned you to settle people there, it's about like being a German sent to the Eastern Front in 1944. (They're not doing you any favors: in fact, they may want you out of the way.)

Oh! And the most coveted bricks in the whole Bible Belt are made down that way. Saint Joe bricks have natural black flecks, and were used by Hays Town, the architect who originated 'The Acadian Style' (you're nobody, if your brick pavers weren't made by Saint Joe).

Postscript response to post #5 ("
I am so confused as to what I just read....")
Which terms are confusing to you? We don't know who you are, or what you need, and so it was hard to tailor a response. Here are a few answers to possible questions:

What is a 'Yat'? http://www.gumbopages.com/yatspeak.html

What is a VOLAG? An example: http://www.vdare.com/articles/bad-sa...ion-ministries

What is 'Acadian Style'? At one point, all Southerners WORSHIPED Colonial Williamsburg. They tore down antebellum mansions and victorian villas and built nahsssssss, proper, Williamsburg-style houses - particularly new money, and particularly doctors' wives, who LIVED FOR WILLIAMSBURG. Now, a great many worship 'The Acadian Style'. A. Hays Town (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Hays_Town) is worshiped as the style's founder. Then, another architect put the style on steroids, and made it worshiped, internationally: https://www.google.com/search?q=Ken+...ayJabOPk5XM%3A

Why is brick so important? Honey, brick is EVERYTHING to people in the Bible Belt. And the redneckier you are, the more speckledy you want your bricks to be. White mortar makes those bricks "pop". And you want lots of black bricks and white bricks, for that extra "touch".

What happened to Jayne Mansfield? Snopes version: "Nothin' to see here, folks, move along." (their usual stance, about everything). New Orleans Lakeshore old-timers' inside scoop: "Da hit was bought outa' New Orleans. Waddaya tink? She was gonna tawk tadda subcommittee." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf_jNf5xwKQ

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 11-17-2015 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2015, 02:09 PM
 
124 posts, read 122,848 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Many powerful interests down there. So, VOLAGS frequently find that trying to relocate horrible people from horrible places to Pearl River County can result in mafia-style 'hits'. The powerful somebodies out that way can 'reach out and touch', pretty-much anybody in America (a quote from 'Mississippi Mud'. https://books.google.com/books?id=K5...uch%22&f=false) Many of the most powerful men in Washington are from that end of Mississippi. Many inherited land down that way. Trying to "settle refugees" down there is not a good idea. At the very least, some big somebody will know your boss's boss's boss, and a VOLAG employee will find himself jobless, if he tries something.

Pearl River County, lifestyle-wise, is an extension of 'Da Nawtshoh' - the nicer part of the New Orleans metro area. It's very rural - the far, far, outer periphery of The Northshore . But while the big somebodies with big connections don't mind white trash and Yats, they do mind pretty much everything else.

Then again, Pearl River County is very close to "The Coast", which is the most corrupt region of the most corrupt state (somehow, Mississippi's taken the lead away from Louisiana). Nothing on the coast happens that is not sanctioned by organized crime, and the power brokers who've risen from its ranks. Even the nonprofits operate within its authority. Those 'interests' have their own people in the highest echelons of national government

Some New Orleans intellectuals have moved out that way, I hear. But they're no threat. They've lived in New Orleans, and know not to make waves. Pearl River County is within an hour of all the swinging and nudism going on in Saint Tammany Parish ("Swinging Capital of America", per a personal trainer at Franco's, who tried to recruit DH & me - I have a spectacular husband...). Picayune is booming with displaced Yats from Saint Bernard Parish and Slidell (post-Katrina). But really: those woods are scary. Lots going on, out there, sanctioned by super-powerful people, and, if I didn't want to end up like Jayne Mansfield, I'd be careful.

Really, if you work for a VOLAG, and somebody has assigned you to settle people there, it's about like being a German sent to the Eastern Front in 1944. (They're not doing you any favors: in fact, they may want you out of the way.)

Oh! And the most coveted bricks in the whole Bible Belt are made down that way. Saint Joe bricks have natural black flecks, and were used by Hays Town, the architect who originated 'The Acadian Style' (you're nobody, if your brick pavers weren't made by Saint Joe).
I am so confused as to what I just read....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2015, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,790 posts, read 3,876,460 times
Reputation: 4296
A perusal of the OP's post history tells me he (she?) is looking to personally relocate to some rural area with lots of freedom from overbearing government regulation. Lots of posts in Guns and Hunting and Self Sufficiency and Preparedness, for example, along with posts in various state forums asking about rural areas. On the surface, Pearl River County would appear to be an decent candidate for an off-the-grid survivalist retirement home. No cold winters, rural but close enough to large population centers to obtain supplies before TEOTWAWKI hits, and access to plenty of water.

Definitely not a VolAg (Voluntary Agency... a religious or secular organization that sends people on mission trips to poor areas, and/or helps to relocate people like refuges), so ignore the parts of GvG's post about "relocating horrible people".

Pearl River County is at the extreme edge of the New Orleans Metro Statistical area, and is somewhat near the MS Coast. It's at the extreme edge of commuting distance for both locations. It's the first county in MS you hit when leaving New Orleans on I-59. Its minority population is lower than typical in rural Mississippi (80+% non-hispanic white).

Typically organized crime extends their network into rural areas adjacent to large populations for less police interference and cheaper rural labor. Pearl River County is in such a location. This is what a large percentage of GvG's post is about, with lots of added color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2015, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,790 posts, read 3,876,460 times
Reputation: 4296
On further reflection, I still say that Pearl River County would be a good place for off-the-grid living if you can handle the intense heat and humidity of Mississippi summers. Plenty rural, but close enough to the populated areas for supplies. Very mild winters. Plenty of water. I don't know if the shore breeze reaches that far inland to power a wind turbine, but adequate solar. Mind your business and any criminal elements will leave you alone.

But if you're one of those prepping-for-TEOTWAWKI types, Pearl River County would not be a good place to be sitting on a cache of food and supplies in an end of the world type situation. Huge masses of urban people in New Orleans and along the coast are fully dependent on the commercial food distribution system. If food trucks stop delivering to the grocery stores they will quickly start getting very very hungry, and I-59 would be one of the exodus routes from the city. Maybe in the far north-west corner would be OK.

For end-of-the-world prepping in the eastern US, IMHO the best area is the Cumberland Plateau region of Tennessee, between Knoxville and Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2015, 07:24 PM
 
124 posts, read 122,848 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
On further reflection, I still say that Pearl River County would be a good place for off-the-grid living if you can handle the intense heat and humidity of Mississippi summers. Plenty rural, but close enough to the populated areas for supplies. Very mild winters. Plenty of water. I don't know if the shore breeze reaches that far inland to power a wind turbine, but adequate solar. Mind your business and any criminal elements will leave you alone.

But if you're one of those prepping-for-TEOTWAWKI types, Pearl River County would not be a good place to be sitting on a cache of food and supplies in an end of the world type situation. Huge masses of urban people in New Orleans and along the coast are fully dependent on the commercial food distribution system. If food trucks stop delivering to the grocery stores they will quickly start getting very very hungry, and I-59 would be one of the exodus routes from the city. Maybe in the far north-west corner would be OK.

For end-of-the-world prepping in the eastern US, IMHO the best area is the Cumberland Plateau region of Tennessee, between Knoxville and Nashville.
I don't know why you think reading unrelated threads I started would help answer my question. Because in doing so you did not answer my question.

Good day! .........I said good day, sir!

But where in south Mississippi fits all my criteria since you stalked all my post and are obsessed with me.

Last edited by Heartbeats & Brianwaves; 11-18-2015 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2015, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,790 posts, read 3,876,460 times
Reputation: 4296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbeats & Brianwaves View Post
I don't know why you think reading unrelated threads I started would help answer my question. Because in doing so you did not answer my question.

Good day! .........I said good day, sir!

But where in south Mississippi fits all my criteria since you stalked all my post and are obsessed with me.
You asked for "anything I'd like to add" about Pearl River County, without providing the requested specifics. The answers provided fit inside the all-inclusive "anything" category. If the responses didn't answer your specific question, it's because you failed to ask a specific question. Feel free to ask, and I'm sure someone will try to answer. If not, then good day to you as well. I hope you find what you are searching for.

Also, for what it's worth, I didn't "stalk" any posts. I participate in more sub-forums than this one, and I had noticed the unique user name (abortion-related with bad spelling? or are you a Cardiologist named "Brian"?). I did visit your profile a single time and glance at the statistics, where it shows that Self Sufficiency and Preparedness is your most prolific forum (along with Guns and Hunting, plus a few threads started in other rural states), but that's it. This wasn't done to "stalk", it was done in an attempt to narrow down the infinitely wide "anything" category for providing information. I didn't actually track down and read any of your posts, other than the ones I had already read as part of my normal forum participation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2015, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Deep 13
1,060 posts, read 808,212 times
Reputation: 3124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbeats & Brianwaves View Post
Anything you'd like to add I am fine with.
I'll get back to you after I get done reading all your posts so I have an idea of what you are looking for....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbeats & Brianwaves
Island off the coast of CT? Not the place I would want when the SHTF and the poor come looking for my goods.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_...y,_Mississippi
Quote:
As of the 2010 census Pearl River County had a population of 55,834. The ethnic and racial make-up of the population was 82.2% non-Hispanic white, 12.3% African-American, 0.6% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.1% non-Hispanic from some other race, 1.7% from two or more races (0.5% reporting being white and black) and 2.9% Hispanic or Latino.[13]

As of the census[14] of 2000, there were 48,621 people, 18,078 households, and 13,576 families residing in the county. The population density was 60 people per square mile (23/km˛). There were 20,610 housing units at an average density of 25 per square mile (10/km˛). The racial makeup of the county was 85.55% White, 12.18% Black or African American, 0.50% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.34% from other races, and 1.13% from two or more races. 1.41% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

There were 18,078 households out of which 34.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.30% were married couples living together, 12.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.90% were non-families. 21.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 3.08.

In the county the population was spread out with 27.00% under the age of 18, 9.40% from 18 to 24, 27.10% from 25 to 44, 23.90% from 45 to 64, and 12.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 94.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.00 males.

The median income for a household in the county was $30,912, and the median income for a family was $35,924. Males had a median income of $30,370 versus $21,519 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,160. About 15.50% of families and 18.40% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.60% of those under age 18 and 12.50% of those age 65 or over.
Whelp, that's a fair amount of poors coming after your food. Luckily, Mississippi leads the country in obesity, so they will be coming(bad), but they will be moving (waddling) rather slow (good). Makes for easy targets.
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/stat...s/mississippi/

I'm down on the coast, so I can't say how long chemtrails last, but they do blow north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top