Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 03:45 PM

14 posts, read 22,189 times

Advertisements

Hello, friendly forum folks! I have read countless Mississippi threads and would appreciate some guidance. In an effort to extricate myself from Ohio, I'm seeking warmer pastures. I have lived in North Florida (for work) and appreciate the overall southern experience -- especially awesome food, outgoing neighbors, access to the Gulf, and proximity to many interesting towns of varying size.

Ohio offers miserable winters and the epicenter of the heroin epidemic. There are good things happening in certain areas of the Buckeye State, but the overall negatives outweigh the positives for me. As a rule, it's simply too boring here to put up with the unsavory aspects.

In seeking a new home, I've identified Mississippi. I have family in Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana, so MS would be central to them. Hattiesburg is most appealing because of its easy Amtrak routes to Atlanta and New Orleans, and I *love* the idea of a home in one of the historic districts. There are several for sale at my price point ($150k to $250k). Front porches, hardwood floors, and gardens are all good things. I do not have children (yet), so I'm not overly concerned about schools other than for resale value and overall contributions to the community.

Here's the problem: I'm fully aware y'all have some disturbing snakes, an even higher incidence of tornado touchdowns than where I live now, and some scary murder statistics.

Tornadoes: Here in Ohio, there are towns which have been leveled by F5 tornadoes ... and just ten miles up the road there will be a random spot which thanks to geographical features is at almost zero risk. Does Mississippi have the same sort of pockets with less risk? I'd like to hide in one, please.

Snakes: Do the venomous varieties routinely make their way into yards and homes ... or mainly hide out in areas where hunters discover them whilst navigating backwoods terrain? I'm not going to be traipsing through much countryside. As long as the slithery creatures stay primarily outside the city limits, I think I can deal with them.

Crime: I understand each town is going to have its own vices. I'm amazed at the way Mississippi has been able to wipe out so many of the homegrown meth labs and seems (so far) to be resisiting the heroin epidemic. (Here, it's to the point where soccer moms are moving from painkillers to injections and pot dealers are distributing free heroin samples to hook new addicts. It's pervasive in our small towns.) So ... back to the original question: as long as the town you're living in has a fairly low crime rate overall, do you actively fear the murder statistics? Is it a case of just not being in the wrong neighborhood at the wrong time? Ohio trumps you in heroin use by a landslide, but you surely do trump us in violent crime.

Thanks in advance for your help! Mississippi has so much to offer. I just need to get past these three stumbling blocks before getting more serious about a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 04:02 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
You are much more likely to get severely mauled by a dog, than bitten by a snake.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
You are much more likely to get severely mauled by a dog, than bitten by a snake.
Good to know. Does that mean I should remove snakes from the fear factor list ... or add dogs as a fourth category?

Old 12-15-2015, 05:17 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,599 times
Tornado activity has been low this year in the state. We've only had 28 so far. But yes, it is true that Mississippi is prone to tornadoes.

Snakes: What Southern man said.

Crime: A lot of the crime in this state is in Jackson and the Delta region. But those aren't the only places in Mississippi with crime problems. Gulf Coast region has it's fair share too. Don't forget the Golden Triangle and Meridian.

Still, i am glad you are considering this state. Welcome to Mississippi!

Old 12-15-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
Still, i am glad you are considering this state. Welcome to Mississippi!
Thanks so much for the warm welcome . What are your overall thoughts of Hattiesburg? I'm drawn to its proximity to NOLA and Perdido for weekend trips, and the intact historic districts are appealing. I also like that it is a college town. How would you rate its safety compared to Natchez, Oxford, and Tupelo for someone who wants to actually live in town and not in a suburban development?

And, while I have y'all here ... does anyone have experience with Hattiesburg vs. Fairhope, Alabama? That's my second choice, mainly because its tornado rate is drastically lower than Hattiesburg (and even lower than my area of Ohio for that matter).

Old 12-15-2015, 06:07 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
Most people really enjoy Hattiesburg and they do have a fairly active downtown and historic district. Although I'm sure Hattiesburg has crime, it's not a huge issue that you hear about that much. By comparison though crime in Tupelo, Oxford and Natchez is extremely low. These cities are quite different though, as Hattiesburg is quite a bit larger and more of a small city compared to the others.

You might also look at neighboring Laurel, which is a bit smaller, but due to oil and timber wealth in the last century, they have a very sophisticated and elegant historic district. Every time I'm there, I'm always taken aback by the beauty of the giant live oak trees, magnolias, pines, pecan trees, and sprawling oaks, amid rolling, green hills.

You also might consider Ocean Springs, Pass Christian and Bay St Louis on the Coast, which have really cool historic homes throughout (although hurricanes are a concern). If you're looking at Natchez, you might also consider Brookhaven which is loaded with beautiful historic homes. Same for the town of Columbus and while you're there you might want to look at Starkville which is a college town which is getting nicer and busier by the day.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:51 PM

These are wonderful, specific suggestions, brickpatio. I appreciate your ideas and will take a peek at each one. Laurel sounds especially nice.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:25 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadichabit View Post
What are your overall thoughts of Hattiesburg?
One: Proximity to New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.

Two: Fast food isn't the only restaurants they have. I know that sounds silly, but i can't eat out at fast food all the time.

Three: I've felt safe in Hattiesburg. and in West Hattiesburg (AKA Oak Grove) across the county line. I know that Hattiesburg has some bad areas east of the 11/49 diagonal cloverleaf (William Carey University is safe), but you should have no reason going to the hood.

Four: I've always had a soft spot for Southern Miss football. It's nice to see them out of the 3 seaons that they sucked after Fedora left.

Five: Turtle Creek Mall is decent. Small, but decent.

That's all i can think of right now. It's almost 5:30 AM here, and no, i haven't been up all night, but i'll post more about Hattiesburg later.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:12 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Hattiesburg is a good location for what you describe. Close enough to the coast for a day trip, but far enough away to avoid severe hurricane damage except for worst-cast storms (Katrina did do lots of damage that far north, but at least it wasn't catastrophic damage). Major roads linking you to all the neighboring states in all directions.

Tornadoes: There's no such thing as a "geographic safe zone". It's all about random chance. Major tornado outbreaks are devastating, but ultimately destroy a relatively small percentage of houses. Anything EF3 and under you'll be safe in a reinforced interior room or stairwell. If you worry over such things then buy a house with a basement (surprisingly rare) or install a tornado shelter.

Snakes: You're overthinking it. You are more likely to find them in rural areas, but you can technically find them anywhere. It is possible for them to get into a yard or home, but such an event is extremely rare and much publicized. Non-venomous snakes are much more common. Unless you frequently explore wooded/swampy areas you may go years without seeing a single venomous snake.
There are four types of venomous snakes around Hattiesburg:
  • Three species of rattlesnake (Diamondback, Timber, Pigmy) are all dangerous, but are rare. Rattlesnake venom is more potent than the other pit vipers on the list, and medical attention is necessary.
  • Eastern Coral snakes have extremely deadly venom, but they are very very rare, have short fixed fangs that can't penetrate thick clothing/leather, and only bite as a last resort. They are very brightly colored. There has been one death from a coral snake bite in the USA in the last several decades, and that idiot didn't seek medical attention.
  • Copperheads are relatively common, but are very good at hiding and their venom is quite weak. You can walk within inches of one and never know it. You'd still want to go to the hospital after a strike, but unless you start having a severe reaction all they're going to do is watch you for a few hours.
  • Water Moccasins (Cottonmouths) are the most dangerous IMO. They generally live in wet/swampy areas, and are quite common in those areas. They can be quite aggressive if approached, but most will take a purely defensive stance. Their venom is more potent than a copperhead with a greater chance of local tissue damage and scaring, but generally not strong enough to kill an adult human.

Crime: I haven't lived in Hattiesburg, and haven't lived in Mississippi for decades, so I can't comment on crime.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:34 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Tornadoes:
Tupelo got nailed last year. We all knew it was coming and we knew it all day. Everyone was nervous and we all kept calling each other, casually asking, "Where are y'all going to be?" It flattened building for many, many blocks but because we all had a plan and all got lucky there was no one killed as a direct result of the tornado.
There is no place to live that will always be immune - at least as far as I know. Pick a place to live and make a plan to deal with whatever nature throws at you.

Snakes:
They run if they can. You'll be lucky to ever see one. A couple of years ago I saw the biggest snake I have ever seen - about 7 feet! - and she took off like an arrow when she saw me. She went up a tree and circled around to look down at me. A harmless rat snake.
I encourage everyone to leave snakes alone, although there are lots of people who still kill snakes on sight. In my 70 years I have only met one person who was ever bitten by a poisonous snake, and that was many, many years ago.

Crime:
I don't know about Hattiesburg, but the the aggressive tactics by law enforcement units keeps crime down around here. If you have broken a law, they will just come and "DRAG Yo A-- OUTA TH' HOUSE". I knew of one ........well, let's call her a "young lady".... who was so disruptive, yet so well connected that they banished her from the county! Banished! Then when she was dumb enough to come back they arrested her in spite of her connections. (Her last name was Presley) The sheriff said during proceedings, "Hell, Yer Honor, we did everything but buy her a dang bus ticket!" The gallery roared and the gavel fell. Prison.

Our former sheriff, a man named Harold Ray Presley who was the human equivalent of a Rottweiler, was shot a few years ago and the man who killed him was promptly killed as the result of an a-- whuppin'. But since he had also been shot it was hard to pin down an exact cause of death. When the investigators asked the deputies which one had delivered the fatal blow or fatal shot, every one of them confessed! Case closed.
http://djournal.com/news/ten-years-l...gacy-lives-on/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi