U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2006, 08:34 PM
BDY BDY started this thread

1 posts, read 7,069 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Olive Branch if I take a new job in Memphis. We have four kids (14, 12, 7, 6). Does anyone know anything about the new Center Hill schools in Olive Branch? What about sports in the area. My son is a freshman in High School and plays baseball in Kentucky. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:43 PM

38 posts, read 214,247 times
I don't know if I'm allowed to link to the school website here but....

http://www.desoto.k12.ms.us/ (broken link)

or search for desoto county schools, you can look at the individual schools from that website. (sports are listed)

I'm new to the area but my son is 6 and attends the new Overpark elementary, he loves it there.

The high-school in Center Hill is new this year and only goes through 10th grade this year, 11-12 go to Olive Branch High school for now and I think the Varsity sports are combined (not 100% sure)

From what I've been told, next year Center Hill will go through 11th grade and the following year they will add 12th, I'm assuming that after that they will have their own Varsity teams. The Center Hill Mascot is the Mustangs.

Hope this helps.

We moved here because my fiancee got a job in Memphis as well, it's been a really great experience and we are happy with the area, if you have any other questions feel free to pm me!!

Jamie

Old 11-22-2006, 05:35 AM

8,785 posts, read 3,614,554 times
School information links are welcome here.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:24 PM

27 posts, read 137,611 times
If you are considering moving to Olive Branch, MS I would recommed you stay away from Center Hill Middle/High School. The principal there runs the school like a prison for kindergarteners. The kids are not allowed to walk to their parent's cars after school. They must be picked up at the front door. These are 16 & 17 year olds!! They also must carry a notebook with them every where they go ( including the bathroom) and have their parents sign it every night. The principal is very rigid and lets the have very few dances, pep rallies, spirit week, and absolutely no student input. Many of the teachers are inexperienced. Three of my child's teachers have never taught the subjects they are teaching before this year. Center Hill is pure HELL and we can't wait for it to be over. Olive Branch High School has one of the best sports programs in the state and a wonderful principal who actually graduated from Olive Branch High. Good Luck.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,257 times
I have two children attending the new Center Hill Middle / High School and I am too concerning about the way they run things. In the beginning of the school year, my son forgot his belt at home. They sent him to the office to call me. I was all the way in Cordova going to work. My son (6th grader) was crying on the phone over a BELT! Luckily, my husband was off that day and could take it to him. They were not going to let him return to class until he had a belt on. That is RIDICULOUS!!! I asked the secretary...you mean, you will deprive my child of sitting in class to learn over a belt??? She said, yes ma'am. It is a school policy. Do you know he now has a record at school because of a BELT!

Old 01-07-2007, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 7,032 times
My son attended Olive Branch High School last year and now goes to Center Hill. Since his father lives in one district and I live in the other, my son had a choice of which school to attend. He loves sports (football and baseball), but with the competitiveness at Olive Branch High, his chances of acutally playing were very slim since he is not a "superstar". By switching to Center Hill he has had the opportunity to play first string on the football team and made tryouts on baseball. When asked if []HE[] likes Center Hill better, he says he likes the school at OB, but appreciates that he actually has had a chance to play sports by being at Center Hill. We have also had a few phone calls about dress code which seems to be rather nit picky, but on the other hand, it does teach our kids that there are rules in life to follow. Although your child was probably wearing properly fitting jeans, you have to remember that there are those kids that want to wear their pants down to thier thighs with their boxers showing and I truly believe this rule was put in place to deter that. Therefore, if one kid has to wear a belt to keep his pants where they belong, they had to make it a rule for all. The school is new, and they have kinks to work out, but there are always going to be "growing pains" when something is new. I have had very good responses from teachers when I have had to request progress reports. The facilities are top notch, and the school has great potential. Overall, I am comfortable with it.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Center Hill High School had an honors breakfast at the end of the first 9 weeks for those students who had all A's and B's on their report cards. Instead of rewarding those who brought their grades up to all A's and B's the second 9 weeks, they must now have and A/B semester average to attend the honors breakfast. How is this promoting positive self esteem among the students who are trying. All this does is shame and embarass those who have to stay in class while the rest get to go. I can see if they didn't have the grades but why change the rules after they do what was expected the first 9 weeks. Just another way for Loper to knock them down again. He should be ashamed.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 7,045 times
Default All things Center Hill

Yes, the school is new and has growing pains, but it is a bit absurd on several issues! I agree about the car line!!! These are older children and can walk to the cars-Instead we have to form a line and they have 4-5 teachers directing you to go where they want you to go-It takes approx. 15 plus more minutes to pick up than at the beginning of the year. All the while the teachers have this silly smug look on their faces!!! I personally will have a smug look when it is colder!

As for carrying the books around everywhere-that is also pitiful!! They get anywhere from 2-5 grades in each class for the agenda depending on that particular teacher and his/her mood- or if they do not have enough grades for the 9 weeks they stick this in. If a parent does not sign it the kids will get a zero. It happened once to my child with a 99 average and it brought his grade to a 93 because I did not sign-?????? If they are making the grades and doing their homework that means they are responsible students.

As for Loper, I personally have not had any problems with him,but have heard numerous complaints about him being STRICT!!! This prohibits the drugs,gangs and fights at school, so I really have no problem with that part. Loosen up enough to give the kids responsibility and be able to enjoy their high school year not dread it!!!

Sports programs on the other hand are out of control!!!! Football is Hard!!!
He has no communication with the parents, but expects us to be at his beck and call-My son missed out on a church trip this summer because "he had to be there" then he got mad and cancelled the practices for that week-???????
All areas of sports are pushing the fundraising to extremes!!The first nine weeks of school we had someone selling at our door daily-Cheerleading,Dance Football,Basketball etc....

The weightroom is not monitoring the kids as far as limits go-The coach wants to "bulk" the kids by about 30 lbs before next year-My dr. says NO!!!!My son is scared of the coach and does what he says. he is going to taken off the team by us if things don't change!! A coach should care about his team not just winning.

Sorry so long-I guess you can see that we have issues!!!LOL

Old 01-18-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Center Hill

I'm happy for you and your child. However, high school is just as much about experiences as it is academics. Loper is more concerned about being known for running a "tight ship" than he is about the students. Everything said about Center Hill is true so I don't understand your personal attacks. We could go back to OBHS but my child is happy with friends and teachers at Center Hill. Unless you went to a military or reform school, most people have fond memories of high school. One of mine was getting yearbooks and having friends sign it. Our children won't even recieve a yearbook this school year. As far as the football coach goes, I only know what I see. He makes a fool of himself at the games. Throwing his hat, going out on the field, screaming, etc. He needs to show some class. I don't have a child who plays but I don't agree with punishing the players on the sidelines by making them do push ups. Save it for the locker room. I don't agree with public humiliation.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 PM

Center Hill Agenda Notebook

I have not personally signed my child's agenda a single time this year. Have your child sign your initials every day and you won't have to worry about them getting in trouble at school. I trust my child to be responsible enough to get assignments done and I can still look at it whenever I want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi