U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 05:39 PM

7 posts, read 4,591 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone
We are moving to Mississippi on april, we are very worried about where to live around Jackson area because we want the best piblic school for our kids, Here in Ann Arbor the public school are wonderful, so of course we want a similar school, Could someone help us? we dont knowif ridgeland or Brandon is the best place to live and we dont know what of this places has the best schools, we looked aparments in the elementary school zone of Ann Smith elementary and Highland in Ridgeland, In brandon we looked some aparments in Flowwod elementary and northwest elementary. My kids are 6 and 8 years old so on september they will be in first grade and third grade. For other side do you know if we live in ridgelan could to apply to Madison station elementary school like a transfer school zone? because Madison elementary and ridgeland schools are in the same district, Madison county schools. Doyou know about gifted program? please help us! if you know some place for rent around $1400 in Madison around madison station would be great, because We couldnt find. thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 12:48 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,599,554 times
The best elementary schools are Madison Station/ Madison Avenue (which are essentially the same, one feeds into the other) and Mannsdale.

These are located is beautiful areas with mostly new homes and there are no apartments in the city of Madison.

I would suggest that you rent a house in Madison. There are plenty of subdivisions in the city of Madison with 1,500 to 1,800 square foot homes, 3 bedroom/ 2 bathroom, built in the early 1990s that quite affordable. This way you are renting, yet you are living in a very nice community.

In Ridgeland, the city in some parts has the wealthiest census tracts in the state (near the Old Agency Rd/ Richardson Rd area, adjacent to the lovely Renaissance shopping center (e.g. Apple Store, Brooks Brothers) and others off I-55). However, Ridgeland also has a portion of town that has something like 15 apartment complexes, some in better condition than others, and consequently their public schools aren't ranked as high as they have been. However, Ridgeland does have the state's premier independent school (St Andrews Episcopal) which regularly sends kids to Ivy League and other schools such as Michigan...

In Rankin County near the Reservoir, the two best elementary schools are Northshore and Oakdale. (You can find all these on schooldigger.com.) It's confusing but many people in this part of Rankin County (by the Reservoir) have "Brandon" postal codes and refer to the area as Brandon. However, technically they are not in the actual city of Brandon, which is about 10 minutes further south.

There are definitely many apartments out Lakeland Drive (Hwy 25) through Flowood and the Brandon/Reservoir area, which is a very new and nice area, but I'm not necessarily sure which elementary schools they feed into. Actually all the schools in this area are good, but Northshore and Oakdale are ranked a bit higher due to higher test scores.

On schooldigger.com, out of the state's 410 elementary schools, here are the rankings in the areas you listed:

1. Madison Station
4. Mannsdale
6. Madison Avenue
19. Northshore
26. Oakdale
27. Flowood *Many apartments, check Reflection Pointe, Cypress Pointe, Carlton Park, Ashford Place, Laurel Park, Vineyard at Castlewoods (any of these might be in different school zone but all well ranked)
33. Highland Bluff *Check the nice-looking Bridgewater apartments, near the Reservoir off Hugh Ward Pkwy
60. Brandon
89. Northwest Elem.

Incidentally, the actual city of Brandon is quite nice in its own right, and feels more like a real town rather than a suburban area. There are a number of nice apartments in the actual city of Brandon also which I didn't list. You can see they are fairly well ranked at 60th in the state, which is mainly a reflection of Brandon being a real town, not only new subdivisions out in the suburbs the way the Lakeland Drive/ Flowood/ Reservoir area is. Overall though, you should be happy with Madison, Reservoir, or city of Brandon areas.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:14 PM

Thank you very much for your response! it is very helpful! I would love to live in Madison, but for now we need to live in an apartments complex. Because you, I am thinking in bridgewater or vineyard because it is in the Rankin elementary school zone, but I couldn;t find what is the elementary school assigned for these complex, on the web site shows 2 options of elementary school for each one, so i dont know wich one is the really assigned for each of them. Do you know where could I find it out?
Do you know these areas? which one do you think is more quite and nice to live with kids? It will be very helpful for us because we are moving on april and we will have to rent without visit the area first, Many thanks!

Old 02-15-2016, 05:49 PM

I read taht Bridgewater , Brandon, ms is horrible, the walls very thin and many pets, I saw it at apartmentsrating.com and it is 0% recommended, the same for vineyard. Really I dont know what to do, On the web I have not been able to find houses for rent under $1400 close to madison station, madison upper or madison crossing, please hel me

Old 02-15-2016, 08:26 PM

806 posts, read 771,666 times
Brickpatio's comments are dead on, also what you wrote about the apartments being bad could be said for 98% of all apartments in the world.

Finding a place to rent in Madison in that price range is going to be hard, i would look at the apartments in Flowood (other than the one at the intersection of Old Fannin and Wirtz Road - across from the park and Flowood Elementary, the Woods??).

Old 02-15-2016, 10:47 PM

Many Thanks! About that I wrote you are right, I read the same for many apartments. For us the elementary attendance zone is very important , I saw that bridgelandwater is in Northshore elementary school zone, do you know about this school? Do you know how is the area where bridgelandwater is in? Do you think flowood is better than brandon to live with kids?

Old 02-16-2016, 02:23 AM

There are a number of very nice apartments in the area. I think Ashford Place and Carlton Park, which are across the street from one another, appear to the be nicest (many of them have garages etc). However, if you want Northshore school and Bridgewater lands in that zone, it's fairly new and in terms of location it's a good area surrounded by many subdivisions and close to the Reservoir. North shore school is in a lovely location, an area where many nearby homes are on the water or close.

To get confirmation on which apartments are in which school zone, you should call the Rankin County School District and ask.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:46 AM

Here's a map with Rankin attendance zones, although you still should call to confirm that this is updated. Most apartment complexes from what I can see fall into the Northwest elementary school zone (which is fine), except I believe you are right that Bridgewater may fall into Northshore zone. Carlton Park from what I can see appears to be the nicest and probably the most expensive complex (gated, with garages etc). Laurel Park, also gated I believe, sits right net to a big shopping area that has almost every type of store you can imagine. Reflection Pointe and nearby Cypress Pointe I think are in a nice location right next some nice offices, a nice hospital, a gym and one of the area's top private high schools. You should probably drive around and see which one appeals to you, although they're all in the same general area.

http://www.rcsd.ms/cms/lib08/MS01910..._pdf_44x44.pdf

Old 02-16-2016, 08:46 AM

806 posts, read 771,666 times
Northshore and Oakdale are both good and have gifted programs starting in the 2nd grade. Test scores determine if a child gets in the program.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 AM

Thank you very much Brickpatio! I really appreciate that you looked for me!! now I am going to look everything that you posted, I hope to take a decision soon, it is very stressful if you are not in the place. I am in Michigan and I cant to go to Mississippi till my moving on april 1st! so everything I will have to do it on line. Thanks again !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi