U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2016, 07:23 PM
 
8,885 posts, read 5,044,038 times
Reputation: 9242

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
The beaches down there are just not a tourist attraction.
that because the real beaches are on the islands off the coast that you cant get to without a boat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2016, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,248 posts, read 1,796,112 times
Reputation: 2490
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
that because the real beaches are on the islands off the coast that you cant get to without a boat
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2016, 08:59 AM
 
5 posts, read 5,778 times
Reputation: 15
Well I guess that sums it up. True on the MS beaches vs FL/AL beaches ideology... But still, after doing research on the history here, it seems the MS Gulf Coast had a lot pre-Katrina. At least things for kids and families in general. I personally think it being in Mississippi itself has a lot to do with it. This state has the worst reputation and they aren't doing much, if anything at all, to change it. I look around and I see opportunities for development to bring a diverse tourism industry... besides the traditional casino crowd. I see opportunities for growth along the beachfront and further inland. Hopefully, Biloxi and Gulfport will live back up to its claim to fame in the days before Katrina. I see a lot of people want to develop here but I guess local and state funding are holding back for whatever reason. Im just saying... this is a beautiful and unique place. I hope they don't waste it!! The residents, along with visitors, would love more to do here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2016, 09:11 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,961 posts, read 18,810,763 times
Reputation: 5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast_guy228 View Post
We have beaches here, so why not things like...more chain restaurants and stores...
I can see Mississippi undergoing a shift in supermarkets in the future. It would not be a surprise to see Publix enter Mississippi after it opens its Jefferson County, Alabama, distribution center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
979 posts, read 597,278 times
Reputation: 1428
Mississippi's Coast is different than Baldwin County AL and Florida's, for reasons already mentioned here in this thread. Plus, it's been prone to hurricanes. I see the MS Coast thriving in the model of Mobile, AL to New Orleans, LA....ie, industrial and culturally. Casinos are a great mix when you also have the coast. So, it's sort of going to be a conglomeration of tourism and industry (and growth of Stennis, etc.) down there. I don't see the coast doing much more than it already does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Deep 13
1,061 posts, read 809,571 times
Reputation: 3129
Another issue about Coastal futures, IMHO, is the stalling of the Port of Gulfport freeway spur. They may talk about wider/deeper channels and more gantry cranes, but without a smooth flowing traffic pattern to and from the port, it won't mean much. I've seen trucks get lost and get stuck on different roads around the port, not to mention traffic stops while a train crosses Highway 90. Having a world class port means more than what's next to the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 07:23 PM
 
8,885 posts, read 5,044,038 times
Reputation: 9242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Mississippi's Coast is different than Baldwin County AL and Florida's, for reasons already mentioned here in this thread. Plus, it's been prone to hurricanes. I see the MS Coast thriving in the model of Mobile, AL to New Orleans, LA...
I can tell you from working in Biloxi the past 12 years. The Ms gulf Coast hate Mobile, who trying to be the new atlanta. But new orlean, the ms gulf coast loves new orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2016, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
979 posts, read 597,278 times
Reputation: 1428
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I can tell you from working in Biloxi the past 12 years. The Ms gulf Coast hate Mobile, who trying to be the new atlanta. But new orlean, the ms gulf coast loves new orleans.
Yeah I can understand that. But from a 30,000' bird's eye view, Mobile shares more in common with the MS Coast and New Orleans than anyone else. No reason why the MS Coast should not play off of any success Mobile has, specifically Airbus.

Mobile certainly isn't very similar to Baldwin County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2016, 08:05 PM
 
8,885 posts, read 5,044,038 times
Reputation: 9242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Yeah I can understand that. But from a 30,000' bird's eye view, Mobile shares more in common with the MS Coast and New Orleans than anyone else. No reason why the MS Coast should not play off of any success Mobile has, specifically Airbus.

Mobile certainly isn't very similar to Baldwin County.
mobile is like atlanta, and then it stops at the state line, then it switches over to nawlins, while baldwin county doesnt claim mobile either, they want to be west pensacola. I woudnt be suprise if someday they just bypass mobile with the intserstate and have no off ramps, just over the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 03:06 PM
 
831 posts, read 1,004,248 times
Reputation: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
mobile is like atlanta, and then it stops at the state line, then it switches over to nawlins, while baldwin county doesnt claim mobile either, they want to be west pensacola. I woudnt be suprise if someday they just bypass mobile with the intserstate and have no off ramps, just over the top.
What? Over 25% of Baldwin County works in Mobile. West Pensacola? Seriously? You really are clueless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top