Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:09 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,157,536 times

Advertisements

Not everyone in this state supports laws like this. While all of you are trashing Mississippi and it's "backwards" inhabitants, please try to remember that we are not all like that.

I am also tired of people from out of state coming here to purposely try and make trouble by seeking out the most bigoted person they can find and screaming, "Look I told you they were all racists and bigots!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 12:16 PM

24,261 posts, read 14,114,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Jesus = “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

Matthew 19 NIV

Jesus said who should not marry - specifically including 'born eunuchs' (the contemporary euphemism for gay men). Note that Jesus apparently believed that gays were born that way.
And the constitution says that the state can not discriminate. Marriage is a state matter and also a religious rite. A civil marriage does not require the religious rite part to be legal, but a religious marriage does require the the civil part to be legal.

Plus not everyone follow that religious belief, so why should they be bound by the beliefs of others?

As for this law, it allows government officials, and state funded orgs to discriminate against gays. Why should my tax dollars pay for services when I can be refused those services?

Old 04-07-2016, 12:51 PM

16,319 posts, read 10,334,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Why don't people in Mississippi act and think more like people in the greater Seattle area?
Maybe because they don't want to.

Funny thing about this whole "tolerance" business. Conservatives look at a liberal area like Seattle, and maybe they'll make jokes about it in private. But that's it. They don't try and force businesses to boycott the region, or try and bring the heavy hand of the federal government down on them, or go there and try and find a gay baker to make them bake a cake with anti-homosexual Scripture verses on it. But let Mississippi act according to its beliefs, and the oh-so-tolerant liberals of the world do everything they can to shut them down.

Fact is, some of the people opposing what Mississippi is standing for are every bit as intolerant as the most stereotypical back-woods bigot you can find.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Maybe because they don't want to.

Funny thing about this whole "tolerance" business. Conservatives look at a liberal area like Seattle, and maybe they'll make jokes about it in private. But that's it. They don't try and force businesses to boycott the region, or try and bring the heavy hand of the federal government down on them, or go there and try and find a gay baker to make them bake a cake with anti-homosexual Scripture verses on it. But let Mississippi act according to its beliefs, and the oh-so-tolerant liberals of the world do everything they can to shut them down.

Fact is, some of the people opposing what Mississippi is standing for are every bit as intolerant as the most stereotypical back-woods bigot you can find.
You're right. I'm intolerant.
I'm intolerant of my taxes going to fund groups that can refuse me service (foster and adoption agencies). I'm intolerant of the fact that government employees whose salary my taxes pay can refuse me service.

But I'm also thankful. The more of theses blatant anti gay laws that come up the sooner that sexual orientation will be added to federal anti discrimination laws just like race, sex, religion, and age.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:19 PM

25,344 posts, read 16,993,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
..............As for this law, it allows government officials, and state funded orgs to discriminate against gays. Why should my tax dollars pay for services when I can be refused those services?
It does indeed allow for government employees to discriminate. But it does not allow the state to discriminate. In the case where a specific individual cannot, for example, issue a marriage license, the state must provide someone who can.
Quote:
"It specifically says that is a case where a person has a religious conviction, they can decline, but they must provide somebody in their office to provide that service," Gipson says. That requirement covers state employees declining to license or perform a marriage.
Mississippi Governor Signs 'Religious Freedom' Bill Into Law : The Two-Way : NPR

It's pretty simple, but hysteria reigns supreme. Someone like me, who cannot show a religious affiliation at all, cannot discriminate. And if I tried I would rapidly lose my case in court.
But all of this is lost on the hysterical left, who only read headlines.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It does indeed allow for government employees to discriminate. But it does not allow the state to discriminate. In the case where a specific individual cannot, for example, issue a marriage license, the state must provide someone who can.

Mississippi Governor Signs 'Religious Freedom' Bill Into Law : The Two-Way : NPR

It's pretty simple, but hysteria reigns supreme.
And how does that work at my city hall that only has one clerk that handles marriage licenses? Do they hire an additional employee to handle it? Why am I paying for two employees to do the job that one could easily do?

It also allows state funded orgs to refuse me service. They have no problem taking my tax dollars but can refuse to serve me? Do I get a rebate for every one that will not serve me?

Old 04-07-2016, 01:40 PM

25,344 posts, read 16,993,182 times
Quote:
And how does that work at my city hall that only has one clerk that handles marriage licenses? Do they hire an additional employee to handle it? Why am I paying for two employees to do the job that one could easily do?
That's what they are required to do, if necessary. Or they can just train someone else to fill out the proper forms, which would be what I would do. But they cannot refuse you the license.

Are you REALLY all that worried about the extra expense of hiring someone new? I don't think so.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's what they are required to do, if necessary. Or they can just train someone else to fill out the proper forms, which would be what I would do. But they cannot refuse you the license.

Are you REALLY all that worried about the extra expense of hiring someone new? I don't think so.
I'm sure it is better to pay two people to fill one position than it is to fund schools, or fixing the roads.

But why worry about those things that have an effect on everyone as long as they let me know my place.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:00 PM

799 posts, read 1,057,504 times
Quote:
I'm sure it is better to pay two people to fill one position than it is to fund schools, or fixing the roads.

But why worry about those things that have an effect on everyone as long as they let me know my place.
jjrose you're talking to a person that probably supports Trump.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:25 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,101,625 times
Won't this just get struck down by the SCOTUS? As happened in1992 when Colorado passed an anti-gay law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi