U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 07:36 AM

22 posts, read 11,144 times

Advertisements

If I was you, I would plan on visiting MS to see if you really love the state as much as you say you do. Because I've lived here for 6 1/2 years from Texas and WOW it was a lot different. Hospitality does excel here, but so does a lot of heavy racism (as most southern states). The quality of life barely exists here, as there isn't much to do here unless you are into smoking weed, getting drunk/high, and having sex in order to create to the population also going to the movies or out dining. There's a lot of lowlifes here that aren't trying to better their living situation, so the poverty level is up there and people seem to like living that way. You would fit right in with you loving hunting, fishing and being a teacher. I believe the majority of occupations here is teaching. The education system here is crap though, but hopefully you'll make it better. I'd say the best thing about living in the sip was the people and how friendly, warm, and how well they can cook. You'll never go hungry. People don't drive crazy and there aren't as much Hispanics here. The diversity lacks. I lived in a extremely small town called Terry just 45 minutes from the capital. There are a lot of museums and the state that has rich blues culture as well as a B.B. King museum in the Delta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 06:18 PM

476 posts, read 294,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
"As an English teacher you'll have your work cut out for you. Your first task will be to try and figure out the local dialect so you can communicate with the locals. In some extremely rural parts of the state it only passingly resembles English, and it varies wildly from one part of the state to another. Some residents from different areas can barely understand each other. I've traveled a lot and have a good ear, and one time I literally had to translate between someone from north Alabama (edge of Appalachia) and someone else from extreme south-west MS (edge of Cajun country, but this guy had a heavy accent)."

The OP should not take this seriously. The only dialectical divide of any consequence among native Mississippians is between the most poorly educated blacks and the rest of the population. As a native Mississippian I have never had the slightest difficulty in communicating with a person of ordinary education from any part of the state.

Linguists usually divide the state's speech into Upper Southern and Deep South or Coastal Southern, and they really have to nitpick to make the distinction.
Seriously? The most poorly educated "blacks?" What decade are you in? How about saying "people?" Just people. Blacks, really? I'm white and I find this offensive.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:23 PM

429 posts, read 292,802 times
Better try the coast first as the delta might be biting off more than you can chew!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:20 PM

5,847 posts, read 15,915,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
Seriously? The most poorly educated "blacks?" What decade are you in? How about saying "people?" Just people. Blacks, really? I'm white and I find this offensive.
Because poorly educated "blacks" have an entirely different dialect from poorly educated "whites." Not better or worse, just different.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:00 PM

476 posts, read 294,361 times
If it's "not worse" then why single out black people and not mention whites?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:18 PM

42 posts, read 40,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reohh View Post
If I was you, I would plan on visiting MS to see if you really love the state as much as you say you do. Because I've lived here for 6 1/2 years from Texas and WOW it was a lot different. Hospitality does excel here, but so does a lot of heavy racism (as most southern states). The quality of life barely exists here, as there isn't much to do here unless you are into smoking weed, getting drunk/high, and having sex in order to create to the population also going to the movies or out dining. There's a lot of lowlifes here that aren't trying to better their living situation, so the poverty level is up there and people seem to like living that way. You would fit right in with you loving hunting, fishing and being a teacher. I believe the majority of occupations here is teaching. The education system here is crap though, but hopefully you'll make it better. I'd say the best thing about living in the sip was the people and how friendly, warm, and how well they can cook. You'll never go hungry. People don't drive crazy and there aren't as much Hispanics here. The diversity lacks. I lived in a extremely small town called Terry just 45 minutes from the capital. There are a lot of museums and the state that has rich blues culture as well as a B.B. King museum in the Delta.
I thank you for all of the information you've provided me with, in both the good and bad. Living in NYC for a large portion of my life, I am no stranger to drugs/alcohol, and I've learned that staying away from it is the best way to handle it. I do want to go down and take a look for sure, I'm actually very interested in coastal MS and I hope to see it at some point this summer. Thanks again for the information.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:54 PM

635 posts, read 631,131 times
Let me tell you about Mississippi education and what you getting into if you move here. Mississippi has the worst and most corrupt leadership of any state in the nation. Mississippi doesn't fully fund education even though the law clearly says they have to. The Republican leadership has done everything in their power over the last 5 years to get rid of public education. They want a state full of charter or private schools. Teachers here have to pay for things out of their pockets like paper and yes school supplies for themselves and kids because of under funding of schools.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:37 AM

289 posts, read 222,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGChargers123 View Post
I thank you for all of the information you've provided me with, in both the good and bad. Living in NYC for a large portion of my life, I am no stranger to drugs/alcohol, and I've learned that staying away from it is the best way to handle it. I do want to go down and take a look for sure, I'm actually very interested in coastal MS and I hope to see it at some point this summer. Thanks again for the information.
My best advice, as a native New Yorker who has lived both in inland and coastal MS, is don't. Really, just don't. There's nothing there worth going for. There's no culture, the food is awful, the "beaches" are a thin strip of artificial sand fronting on brown, knee-depth water, the ignorance is mind-numbing, and the entertainment options are non-existent. Seriously, I cannot stress enough that unless your ideal life situation is being completely isolated from civilization, it really is not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or