U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 10:49 AM

13,467 posts, read 8,479,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, the states with the highest occurrence of interracial marriage are:

Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska, Arizona, Texas, and Florida. Mississippi is not among those states.
I don't care, and it's not relevant to what I said. Black & White couples are fairly common around here and no one ever says anything about it.
And that's a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 1 day ago)

47,620 posts, read 45,275,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I don't care, and it's not relevant to what I said. Black & White couples are fairly common around here and no one ever says anything about it.
And that's a fact.
Well, what part of Mississippi do you live in? And how does where you live compare to the rest of Mississippi?

Old 08-03-2016, 11:17 AM

1,538 posts, read 727,773 times
Quote:
Actually, the states with the highest occurrence of interracial marriage are:

Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska, Arizona, Texas, and Florida. Mississippi is not among those states.
From this list it seems like the rate of interracial marriages is correlated with the share of Hispanics, Asians, and Native Americans in each state, and not so much with African Americans. But I'd expect the rate in Mississippi (and probably just about everywhere) is higher than it used to be. It's getting more challenging just about everywhere NOT to organically interact with people of different backgrounds.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:19 AM

135 posts, read 63,776 times
Quote:
^I live in the Atlanta area. There are more people moving here from Mississippi than there are people trying to move there. I've never heard of anyone wanting to move to Mississippi, other than one person, who once lived in California.
True. ATL metro area is booming. I don't blame them for leaving, there's nothing to offer in Mississippi.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Oh, horsepooky.
There are more interracial couples around here than I can count and no one says one dang thing about it.
Could be, people are talking about you, not your race.
Remember a few years ago the republicans supported the ban on interracial marriages should be legal. Yeah there's some interracial couples by a very small percentage and not as high compared to other states.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
From this list it seems like the rate of interracial marriages is correlated with the share of Hispanics, Asians, and Native Americans in each state, and not so much with African Americans. But I'd expect the rate in Mississippi (and probably just about everywhere) is higher than it used to be. It's getting more challenging just about everywhere NOT to organically interact with people of different backgrounds.
Well, African-Americans are less likely to be in interracial marriages than any other group. While 1/2 of Black/White couples are in the South, the South over all has lower rates of interracial marriage.

I looked up a statistic about interracial marriages about Black/White couples. The top 5 counties with the highest incidence of Black/White coupled households:
Geary County,KS
Liberty County,GA
Comanche County,OK
Bell County,TX
Coryell County,TX

All of those counties have some army post in them.

This is me. I'm used to interacting with people of different ethnicities than my own. One reason I'm very open to interracial dating, and I'd actually do it if the opportunity presents itself.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside89 View Post
True. ATL metro area is booming. I don't blame them for leaving, there's nothing to offer in Mississippi.
It is. Atlanta metro is seeing alot of traffic.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:04 PM

13,467 posts, read 8,479,915 times
Quote:
Remember a few years ago the republicans supported the ban on interracial marriages should be legal. Yeah there's some interracial couples by a very small percentage and not as high compared to other states.
Live in the past much?
Quote:
Ten years after the case of The Lovings vs. Virginia, the state of Mississippi repealed its ban on interracial marriage in 1987. Less than 45 years later, it becomes one of the country’s “most rapidly expanding multiracial populations, up to 70 percent between 2000 and 2010”, according to US Census Bureau.
Black and White and married in Mississippi

Well, yeah, it appears you do.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:19 AM

I don't have a problem with people dating outside their race.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with people dating outside their race.
Same here. I'd date outside of my race if ever given that opportunity. But it can't be just any kind of woman. Certain criteria are required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or