U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 07:25 AM

7 posts, read 34,841 times

Advertisements

I am planning on doing Teach for America (Teach For America - Home) in a couple of years. I want to do it in one of the rural regions so I could become more connected to the students and communities. One of the rural region placement sites is in the delta region of Mississippi. Greenville is one of the cities in the region. I would teach in one of the following school districts:

Coahoma County School District
Greenville Public Schools
North Bolivar School District
Leland School District
Indianola School District
Quitman County Schools
Sunflower County School District
Cleveland County School District
West Tallahatchie School District
Clarksdale City Schools

If anyone out there lives near or in one of these school districts/counties and could tell me what its like to live there, cost of living, things to do and other general info it would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 03:45 PM

68 posts, read 236,867 times
It depends on what you like to do for recreation and entertainment! As far as the teaching job goes, it will likely be the same in any area you listed! I've known a couple of different groups who were with the same program that came here to Greenville and worked a couple of years...one group rented a house across the street from me. If you choose Greenville, Leland, or Indianola, you could live here and work those places with ease. Even Cleveland schools are within driving distance. There are lots of people who drive it everyday to work or go to school. But, you may want a smaller town to live in. With the exception of the Clarksdale schools (Coahoma County), most people come to Greenville for their entertainment. Good Luck!!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:45 PM

315 posts, read 977,737 times
Default TFA in the Delta

I suggest Cleveland School District among those listed. I taught there 2006-2007, we had a couple of TFA teachers at my school. They made the adjustment fairly well.

Cleveland is a small university town and has more going for it than the other places you mentioned.

West Bolivar SD in Rosedale is only about 20 miles West of Cleveland. Is it not on the list for available teaching sites? That district definitely needs help, but does have some pretty good administrators.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 PM

264 posts, read 1,035,016 times
Cleveland is the BEST town in MS' side of the Delta. I noticed you were also looking at AR's Delta region, ananth, I would choose AR, since they have a few more good towns in the areas you mentioned. I would only live in Cleveland in MS' Delta region. Just me.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:33 AM

15 posts, read 82,988 times
I would vote for Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi