U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:42 PM

8,238 posts, read 18,535,859 times

Advertisements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there alot of what we would call here "bible bashers?" people who try to "save everyone" i dont like people who try to preach to me.
Also, are Catholics hated? Some of my family are catholic.

This is a very silly thing to say, really.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-20-2008, 04:10 PM

376 posts, read 1,621,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Is there alot of what we would call here "bible bashers?" people who try to "save everyone" i dont like people who try to preach to me. I think everyone has a choice Im just curious to know if its like that all over the South or in certain states that are worse than others?

I'm Catholic. Nobody has ever said anything negative to me about my religion, though many people are unfamiliar with the Catholic faith.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,297,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there alot of what we would call here "bible bashers?" people who try to "save everyone" i dont like people who try to preach to me.

This is a very silly thing to say, really.
Why is it silly?

I have heard some stories and know people who said they didn't like catholics when i was over there. So I want to know for sure before i give up living here to move to somewhere i've never lived before, as you can imagine and there are probably no one here that has lived outside the US either.

Baptists have been known here to annoy the hell out of people when we just want to be left alone and are known for doing wacky things.

Again, i just want to make sure.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:08 PM

315 posts, read 980,697 times
I think the earlier poster was right- if it walks like a troll, and sounds like a troll...

Old 02-20-2008, 08:48 PM

276 posts, read 1,020,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post

Baptists have been known here to annoy the hell out of people when we just want to be left alone and are known for doing wacky things.
Never heard of Baptists doing this...hmmmm sounds like you're getting your religions mixed up. First nobody cares what your religion is and wouldn't know what it is if you don't go around broadcasting. Second, Baptists don't try to convert you or annoy you. Now the Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses go door to door. Never saw a baptist show up at my doorstep and I've never annoyed anyone about their religion and I've been a baptist all 27 years of my life.

Why don't you find another area in the country, it really doesn't look like the south is for you.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:08 PM

123 posts, read 390,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cia191630 View Post
Never heard of Baptists doing this...hmmmm sounds like you're getting your religions mixed up. First nobody cares what your religion is and wouldn't know what it is if you don't go around broadcasting. Second, Baptists don't try to convert you or annoy you. Now the Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses go door to door. Never saw a baptist show up at my doorstep....{snip}
Unfortunately, I have to admit that while I was still living in MS. I did have an overzealous, persistent Baptist minister show up at the front door of a house I had just moved into. He was trying to invite me to come to his church, but wouldn't get it thru his head that I didn't want to go to any church. He came back one or two more times before he was able to see that I had lost my patience. I don't want to help a thread along that I'm not sure of, but I have known a few Baptists who get a little intense. Sorry.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:10 PM

276 posts, read 1,020,649 times
Really? Wow...well then

Old 02-20-2008, 09:16 PM

123 posts, read 390,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cia191630 View Post
Really? Wow...well then
Don't get me wrong. I don't think it reflects on the state or Baptists as a whole, necessarily. In fact, I want to move back to the state. It's where I was born and I miss the South in general. I didn't toss the whole place aside just cause of that.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,958,655 times
North Alabama and North Mississippi is mostly Protestant and yes, lots of Baptists (but other denominations can get just as intense, such as Church of Christ, Church of God, Pentecostal and more).
You've got to remember that church forms a great part of social life here. Lots of dry counties here, see, so not many bars to hang out at. When someone invites you to church, they are being neighborly. You can say "thank you" and leave it at that, or just say you're still looking around, and you appreciate their concern.
I won't lie - some Baptists firmly believe Catholics are led by the devil and are all pagans. But not all do.
Now....south Mississippi and south Alabama....Catholicism is WAY more prevalent, thanks to the French & Spanish influence. So dry counties are NOT the norm, and people are more willing to party.
You might find it interesting that the northern parts of both states were settled 200 years ago by people coming west from Georgia and south from Virginia and North Carolina...they and their parents and grandparents had come there from places such as England and....Scotland!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:39 AM

2,980 posts, read 7,297,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
North Alabama and North Mississippi is mostly Protestant and yes, lots of Baptists (but other denominations can get just as intense, such as Church of Christ, Church of God, Pentecostal and more).
You've got to remember that church forms a great part of social life here. Lots of dry counties here, see, so not many bars to hang out at. When someone invites you to church, they are being neighborly. You can say "thank you" and leave it at that, or just say you're still looking around, and you appreciate their concern.
I won't lie - some Baptists firmly believe Catholics are led by the devil and are all pagans. But not all do.
Now....south Mississippi and south Alabama....Catholicism is WAY more prevalent, thanks to the French & Spanish influence. So dry counties are NOT the norm, and people are more willing to party.
You might find it interesting that the northern parts of both states were settled 200 years ago by people coming west from Georgia and south from Virginia and North Carolina...they and their parents and grandparents had come there from places such as England and....Scotland!

I knew they came from countries such as Scotland and England etc, interesting though.

I feel alot of people on this forum get very defensive and some can be closed minded just because im honest. Im straight and will not fumble with the truth. I am not a troll. grow up people!!. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, im just trying to get answers as I want to move to the South and find out which areas are better for me. My boyfriend is from MS and says that the Tupelo area has bars etc in it.

If people wanna go to church then fine by me but im not a church goer and would never bad mouth them for doing it.

Is there a big difference between AL, MS as the Carolina's which states are more progressive?

Regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi