Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:05 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,112,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Look into Olive Branch,MS. It's a nice safe town and is only a 30 minute commute to Memphis,TN (but I don't recommend living in Memphis).
Yeah, I wouldn't plan on even stepping foot there. Heard theres alot of gun violence there.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 PM

739 posts, read 2,184,880 times
Having lived in both, people in the rural USA have very different attitudes toward the environment, nature and wildlife than in the UK. There's no comparison.

If you plan to ever go back, keep in mind that the US dollar has lost almost half it's value in the last 6 or 7 years, so $60,000 is currently worth only E40,000 and still declining. And, there's no national health. Your health insurance expense is substantial and is deducted from your paycheck.

Just because your boyfriend is a US citizen doesn't mean there's any positive effect on your immigration status or ability to get a green card and work. There's no way you'll be getting a job in US customs or airline security that I can think of.

It''s not like in Europe where with my EU passport my spouse and I can just go to Spain or Belgium or Scotland, whatever, and live and work no visa, no questions asked. I think you might have 60 or 90 days as a tourist and you can't work.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,550,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't plan on even stepping foot there. Heard theres alot of gun violence there.
Yes, there are bad neighborhoods (ghettos) in Memphis, but the whole city is not that way. I have been to Memphis many times and have never heard gunshots, but I also don't go into bad areas. Most of the suburbs surrounding the city are very safe (Olive Branch, Collierville, Germantown,etc.). If you're willing to look in Alabama, I'd highly recommend Huntsville.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:53 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,866,940 times
My vote goes to Hattiesburg, but it is in the southern part of the state. My absolute best suggestion would be the Tri-Cities area (Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol) of Tennessee which is where I live now.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
Having lived in both, people in the rural USA have very different attitudes toward the environment, nature and wildlife than in the UK. There's no comparison.

If you plan to ever go back, keep in mind that the US dollar has lost almost half it's value in the last 6 or 7 years, so $60,000 is currently worth only E40,000 and still declining. And, there's no national health. Your health insurance expense is substantial and is deducted from your paycheck.

Just because your boyfriend is a US citizen doesn't mean there's any positive effect on your immigration status or ability to get a green card and work. There's no way you'll be getting a job in US customs or airline security that I can think of.

It''s not like in Europe where with my EU passport my spouse and I can just go to Spain or Belgium or Scotland, whatever, and live and work no visa, no questions asked. I think you might have 60 or 90 days as a tourist and you can't work.

I'd say im quite clued up on immigration in the US and i'd move when we have been married for a while here. Im just trying to figure out how much money would give us a good quality of life most jobs i've seen pay around $30,000 and with my boyfriends income of $50,000 this is just estimates. Not sure what the average income of MS, AL etc are and not sure which state pays good salaries.

Thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 11:29 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,550,638 times
Quote:
I'd say im quite clued up on immigration in the US and i'd move when we have been married for a while here. Im just trying to figure out how much money would give us a good quality of life most jobs i've seen pay around $30,000 and with my boyfriends income of $50,000 this is just estimates. Not sure what the average income of MS, AL etc are and not sure which state pays good salaries.

Thanks
The two cities closest to me are Mobile,AL and Pensacola,FL. Both are decent cities to live in and both have regional airports. Both are also close to the beaches if that interests you. Mobile probably provides better job opportunities because of it being bigger than Pensacola. If your b/f will be making around $50k and you will also be working, you two should survive just fine. You wouldn't be rich, but you wouldn't be poor either. If you were to live in some of the smaller towns north of Mobile (Saraland, Satsuma, Creola), a combined income of $60-70k will get you a nice middle class home with a decent sized yard.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:30 PM

376 posts, read 1,778,540 times
Quote:
Hi there. Im probably being a bit too vague here but im looking for a nice town to live in that has alot of ammenities, like shops, bars and restaurants, malls etc. But not too overcrowded like a city

A nice 3 bedroom house with a pool. Can you tell me if $60k is a good combined income for living in MS?
Oxford has those things, though there isn't a real mall (and most people there don't want one). $60k is above average in MS. In Oxford, you should be able to find what you are looking for outside of town (5-10 min away). Oxford is significantly more expensive than the rest of Mississippi, but it is still pretty cheap when you get away from the downtown area.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:54 AM

Is there alot of what we would call here "bible bashers?" people who try to "save everyone" i dont like people who try to preach to me. I think everyone has a choice Im just curious to know if its like that all over the South or in certain states that are worse than others?

Also, are Catholics hated? Some of my family are catholic.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:50 PM

767 posts, read 2,289,950 times
Quote:
" i dont like people who try to preach to me.

In addition to all the hunting and violence in general we have in MISSISSIPPI, we will try to save your soul. You probably won't like it down here.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:30 PM

125 posts, read 435,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
In addition to all the hunting and violence in general we have in MISSISSIPPI, we will try to save your soul. You probably won't like it down here.
I was always able to ignore or bypass other peoples' version of soul-saving. I just made it clear I had no interest in organized religion and I wasn't about to discuss my beliefs with them and I didn't want to hear theirs. If you tell them firmly enough even the Baptists will give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi