U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:03 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,279,655 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I want to ask y'all which is the best area in MS to live in, that doesn't have the poverty that I saw when i was over near Tupelo. Preferably i'd like to stick to Northern MS and have alot of things to do, bars, restaurants and generally a nice up and coming area to live in that i can call home which has minimum crime.

Also i'd like to know everyones view and differences in opnion on what the advantage of living in MS to the rest of the south.

I was interested in other areas such as

Charlotte, NC
Southern SC
Northern GA (Atlanta area)
Northern AL
Austin, TX area

and Phoenix, AZ area.

I wouldn't like to be paying alot of taxes too i'd like a lower cost of living but not living on the minimum, i would like a good quality of life.

Just wanting to know the pros and cons really as im not American and dont know much about state taxes etc.
I am looking for a career change, to hopefully get into customs, or airport security and my boyfriend is going to be looking at something in the engineering field. Dunno how much we could earn. Perhaps a combined income of $60,000? Is that good for MS and other southern states or does MS not pay well?

God bless

Old 02-17-2008, 03:20 PM

376 posts, read 1,619,442 times
The best place in North Mississippi is Oxford. While there is going to be some element of poverty anywhere in the South, Oxford is known as the wealthy town in Mississippi. It's also becoming a cultural center with lots of great restaurants, arts events, unique stores, etc. Taxes are pretty low. Austin is a great city, though the surrounding countryside is rapidly being eaten up by plain old suburbs that aren't really any different than any other suburb in America. There are still some great hill country towns about an hour outside of Austin. There is no state income tax in Texas, but property taxes and energy costs are very high. Northern GA is rapidly being eaten up with boring suburbs. If you go far enough outside of Atlanta, you may find some decent towns, but rural Georgia is pretty poor and redneck. Look around Athens. It's got much more culture.

I've lived in Oxford and loved it. I wouldn't mind moving back. The major drawback is that the closest city is over an hour away. The culture in Oxford is very unique, sort of a blend of New Orleans and the rural South. There are tons of great bands playing there, unique restaurants, and arts events going on all the time, not to mention the great social scene (for a small town anyway). Just about everyone that lives there loves it and is committed to the community.

Soon I am moving to Charleston, SC, which is another great town a lot like Oxford (except much larger and on the water). There are far more transplants in Charleston, which has somewhat diluted the culture, though it is still strongly intact. It's a beautiful area. One big downside is traffic. If you want a rural small town, look at Oxford. If you are looking more for a city or suburban lifestyle (though with culture), look at Charleston/Beaufort/Savannah.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:24 PM

767 posts, read 2,000,203 times
Moderator cut: suspiciously troll-like

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-17-2008 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 03:41 PM

123 posts, read 389,664 times
She sounds like a troll.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
You do know that us folks from MISSISSIPPI do a lot of hunting,don't you?
In all of your previous posts concerning MISSISSIPPI that seemed to be a problem for you.

"Hi all, my name is Sarah im from Scotland.

My boyfriend is from MS and he lives with me in Scotland. He always mentions how different it is here to there as he said its really poor in MS and full of ignorance. I visited the South for 3 weeks and noticed the difference between MS and the rest of the South. This may sound stupid but is it really poor there? I was shocked when i visited because i thought America being one of the super power countries wouldn't have allowed such a thing as in Scotland we dont have poverty like there.

Its a shame cos its nice there. Just seems like MS is the only state thats been left so far behind and no one seems to care about how they live there.

Another thing was why does everyone hunt there, it was like a broken record and really annoyed me as no one seemed to like animals or cared about them all they seemed to care about there was just "shootin'" or killin'" for fun. That is just WRONG. I just got the impression that they are all uncivilized because where im from we dont do such things. Is there anything else to do there apart from hunting or shooting?

Anyhow, information would be greatly appreciated, perhaps its just the crowd of people i was exposed to during my stay but you know what they say, first impressions is your last impression.

Take it easy."

Well heres a shock for ya, not anymore. im going hunting in Nov at my boyfriends dad's ranch near Tupelo.

God bless.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxchus View Post
She sounds like a troll.
I can asure you, i've got better things to do than troll.

I put alot of work into my post and all I am looking for is to stay on topic, get answers and opinions, please dont hijack my thread.
People do change you know, and for the better. My boyfriend has got me addicted to hunting and we've been back to MS and I loved it.

God bless.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
The best place in North Mississippi is Oxford. While there is going to be some element of poverty anywhere in the South, Oxford is known as the wealthy town in Mississippi. It's also becoming a cultural center with lots of great restaurants, arts events, unique stores, etc. Taxes are pretty low. Austin is a great city, though the surrounding countryside is rapidly being eaten up by plain old suburbs that aren't really any different than any other suburb in America. There are still some great hill country towns about an hour outside of Austin. There is no state income tax in Texas, but property taxes and energy costs are very high. Northern GA is rapidly being eaten up with boring suburbs. If you go far enough outside of Atlanta, you may find some decent towns, but rural Georgia is pretty poor and redneck. Look around Athens. It's got much more culture.

I've lived in Oxford and loved it. I wouldn't mind moving back. The major drawback is that the closest city is over an hour away. The culture in Oxford is very unique, sort of a blend of New Orleans and the rural South. There are tons of great bands playing there, unique restaurants, and arts events going on all the time, not to mention the great social scene (for a small town anyway). Just about everyone that lives there loves it and is committed to the community.

Soon I am moving to Charleston, SC, which is another great town a lot like Oxford (except much larger and on the water). There are far more transplants in Charleston, which has somewhat diluted the culture, though it is still strongly intact. It's a beautiful area. One big downside is traffic. If you want a rural small town, look at Oxford. If you are looking more for a city or suburban lifestyle (though with culture), look at Charleston/Beaufort/Savannah.

Hi there. Im probably being a bit too vague here but im looking for a nice town to live in that has alot of ammenities, like shops, bars and restaurants, malls etc. But not too overcrowded like a city

A nice 3 bedroom house with a pool. Can you tell me if $60k is a good combined income for living in MS?

Old 02-17-2008, 03:48 PM

123 posts, read 389,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I can asure you, i've got better things to do than troll.

I put alot of work into my post and all I am looking for is to stay on topic, get answers and opinions, please dont hijack my thread.
People do change you know, and for the better. My boyfriend has got me addicted to hunting and we've been back to MS and I loved it.

God bless.
I know you from this sub-forum by reading some of your threads that started out in a very similar way. Don't repeat the same things you said just to get a rise out of people and I won't accuse you of being a troll.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxchus View Post
I know you from this sub-forum by reading some of your threads that started out in a very similar way. Don't repeat the same things you said just to get a rise out of people and I won't accuse you of being a troll.
You have your way of thinking and opinion of me thats fine, judge me. I made mistakes in the past. If your going to hold it against me then dont interact with me. This is a geniune thread, I am looking to move to the South and I need advice as i've never lived there and would like to know peoples opinions and views.

Let the past be the past and move on.

There are other posts you can check out that are legit and im not trolling

God bless.

P.S my apologies to Mississippians that I have offended in the past, i want to make it up to you guys and move on. It was wrong of what i said and im sorry. I really am embarrassed at my conduct in the past.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 PM

14,813 posts, read 31,232,303 times
Look into Olive Branch,MS. It's a nice safe town and is only a 30 minute commute to Memphis,TN (but I don't recommend living in Memphis).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi