Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 39,348 times

Advertisements

Quick question on vehicle sales tax, I've reviewed the MS sales tax code and can't find an answer.

I am considering 'turning in' a leased vehicle, by selling it to a dealer for the buyout price, and purchasing a new one. One dealer claims that the value of the leased vehicle can be deducted from the new car value to determine the sales tax.

Is this correct? This makes sense for owner financed trade ins, it makes little sense to me for trading in a leased vehicle. Some states specifically exclude leased trade ins, but I don't see where Mississippi specifies.. I just don't want to get to closing, and have the dealer say 'oh yeah, we messed up on our sales tax estimate, its actually $1K higher."

If anyone has experience with this situation, I'd appreciate a confirmation one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 04:34 PM

6 posts, read 39,348 times
I meant to say I'm trading in the leased car in the title, not turning it in.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:06 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
So if I understand correctly, you are leasing a vehicle that is near the end of term. You have the option to "buy" it after that you've been paying on it for a few years (has it sunk in yet that leasing a car is a horribly bad deal?). You don't want to buy it, but a dealer has offered to buy it from you at your cost.

So you would buy it off lease, then immediately sell it to a dealer for that same price as partial payment on a new vehicle.

First, the dealer is correct on the end trade that the sales tax is on the net value (sales price minus trade-in value). Sales Tax Frequently Asked Questions

You would own your formerly leased vehicle at the time of the final transaction, so that would apply. But in order to get to that point you have to buy out the lease first.

The real question is whether or not you would owe sales tax on the buyout. You do have to pay sales tax on a lease of personal property (Sales Tax Frequently Asked Questions), so technically you've already paid sales taxes on your vehicle... but did you pay taxes on the full value of the car, or only on the lease payment amounts? If you only paid taxes on the lease payment value, then technically you should still owe sales taxes on the remainder if you buy-out.

Someone on this forum may know the answer, but honestly you should contact someone who knows for sure (internet advice is worth what you pay for it). Or try a different sub-forum, like the Automotive sub-forum. Personally I'd call the state tax commision and ask. At a minimum you could ask the dealer, and make it clear that if you find out you suddenly owe a few thousand extra in sales taxes that the deal's off.

Second, and possibly more important, make sure you're getting a good deal on the trade-in. Check the value of your vehicle (age, mileage). You may be able to get more for the lease than the buyout price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi