U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 12:09 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,878,939 times

Advertisements

That and Camp Shelby, to the south. Most Shelby personnel are short-term trainees (Nat. Guard) only there for their annual 2-week sessions, but there are also up to a thousand full-time personnel stationed there for intermediate lengths of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 07:06 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,451,750 times
Mississippian is fine. That's how I refer to myself, or just as a Southerner. Mississippi is such a beautiful word though. It means Big River. The name definitely came from the Native Tribes, maybe the Choctaws?, but no one really knows from which tribe. With over 250 different tribes living in America, and all w/ their own native language, it would be impossible to find out where the name originally came from.

There are no California anythings in Mississippi.

Hattiesburg, while a college (small college) town, is pretty insular and conservative. This is all relative of course, and I was not comfortable there, while places Like Hawaii, San Francisco (of the 80's) and now St Pete, Fl suit me better. So it depends on what you like.

If you want a little more than Hattiesburg, there is Oxford, the Gulf Coast, and basically that is it. It's sorta the same here in St Pete. I love the place, and have tried to live in other parts of Florida, but if I had not found this place I would not be able to be happy in this state. Most of it is not for me.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:00 AM

809 posts, read 645,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Mississippian is fine. That's how I refer to myself, or just as a Southerner. Mississippi is such a beautiful word though. It means Big River. The name definitely came from the Native Tribes, maybe the Choctaws?, but no one really knows from which tribe. With over 250 different tribes living in America, and all w/ their own native language, it would be impossible to find out where the name originally came from.

There are no California anythings in Mississippi.

Hattiesburg, while a college (small college) town, is pretty insular and conservative. This is all relative of course, and I was not comfortable there, while places Like Hawaii, San Francisco (of the 80's) and now St Pete, Fl suit me better. So it depends on what you like.

If you want a little more than Hattiesburg, there is Oxford, the Gulf Coast, and basically that is it. It's sorta the same here in St Pete. I love the place, and have tried to live in other parts of Florida, but if I had not found this place I would not be able to be happy in this state. Most of it is not for me.
Thanks for the info, Insular and Conservative I can deal with

Traffic, Crime and Tax info are my main concerns, along with real estate market info

MS appears to have a lot more crime than Fargo ND (my current location)... also the taxes seem to be higher, but the taxes seem to vary depending on location: in the city vs in the county and each ward seems to tax differently

very confusing with no online chart available to break it down

there are 5 wards in HB, I would like to find out which one has the lowest taxes and the lowest crime

low taxes and low crime usually go together so I suspect the ward with the lowest taxes will also have the most stable real estate market and lowest crime

I would like to be in town or close to town, near shopping and dining and work yet without any "inner-city" problems... or elevated taxes assessed to address those problems

we are looking for a 3/2 1700 sf home around $225k +/- preferably in a gated community

location is the #1 concern.... more important than size, age or price

Old 11-05-2016, 06:31 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,598,798 times
For the price that you've listed, here are my suggested options:

- Closest in - Check vicinity of 6th Ave and Mamie St. This is the historic district near downtown. It is definitely Not gated so this is probably out.

- Close in but newer and plenty safe - Check vicinity of 40th Ave South. This street runs south of Hardy St (the main street through town) and just east of the interstate. Here you are close to USM, and a quick drive to just about anything any town, whether downtown, USM, or all the shopping west of the interstate along Hwy 98 west. Check trulia.com and on their map a bunch of houses pop up at your price point, roughly near the intersection of 40th Avenue South and Lincoln Road. This is a very good area.

- Further out, safest, and newest - Check areas just south of Lake Serene, which is a pretty area out Hwy 98 west, several miles west of USM. This is a booming area with lots of new subdivisions, a number of lakes, and plenty of malls, restaurants etc. However, the main road is a four-lane highway with traffic lights (Highway 98 west) and they Do have traffic, which seems to get tight as the highway crosses the interstate going into town towards USM.

- Gated - I believe there are some gated parts of the Canebrake area, which is very upscale and very beautiful residential area built around a lake and a golf course, several miles west of town along Highway 98 west. You "might" be able to find something gated that's say perhaps a patio home or zero lot line etc that's near your price point. What you're getting is the gate, plus being in the most upscale area of the city, extreme safety and close to good suburban shopping. Downside besides maybe price is it's further out than other neighborhoods and you do hit traffic when nearing the crossover of Highway 98 and the interstate, going towards USM.

Since you want safety but not traffic, and to be closer to more shopping etc, I think your best bet is the one in the middle, i.e. inside the city of Hattiesburg along 40 Avenue south at Lincoln Road.

Within Hattiesburg, as a rule of thumb the historic neighborhoods run just south of Hardy Street and east of Highway 49. The newer homes run south of Hardy Street west of Highway 49. And the newest subdivisions and many malls and restaurants etc, are west of town (mostly in Lamar County) along Highway 98 west, several miles west of the USM campus.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:53 AM

thanks, this is a huge help, I will print your post and take with me when we do our "house-hunting" trip

Old 11-09-2016, 04:52 PM

806 posts, read 770,845 times
You should easily be able to find more house than you expect for your budget, but likely not in a gated community. There are not a lot of gated communities in MS. This could be due to the developer/HOA being responsible for maintaining the roads, which can be expensive considering yazoo clay and high water tables prevalent in much of the state.

In the 'Sip, school districts plays a huge role in home values, also be careful as houses can be difficult to sell in many areas of the state.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 AM

Well, finally made it here.... we opted to Lease a house in the Oak Grove area.... off old hwy 11

I am shocked at what it will cost to register our cars (ad-valorem tax) but otherwise cost of living seems lower than Fargo

No indoor gun range and can't find any good pizza.... otherwise a nice town

Old 01-12-2017, 10:06 AM

979 posts, read 597,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
Well, finally made it here.... we opted to Lease a house in the Oak Grove area.... off old hwy 11

I am shocked at what it will cost to register our cars (ad-valorem tax) but otherwise cost of living seems lower than Fargo

No indoor gun range and can't find any good pizza.... otherwise a nice town
I think you made a good choice going with Oak Grove. I was going to reply but didn't realize how old the thread was until I saw you had updated. Petal is a nice place, too.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:12 PM

I passed on Petal as it looked further from HB/Work on paper, but in reality it might have been a quicker commute when you take into account the Oak Grove traffic

Old 01-13-2017, 09:42 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,598,798 times
Oak Grove area is really nice. Sounds like you are somewhat near Canebrake, which if memory serves it near Hwy 11 and Hwy 98 west. To me that overall area feels a bit like the far-outer suburbs of Atlanta, i.e. heavily forested with lots of evergreens, gently rolling to rolling, and dotted with very nice, new subdivisions that look like the classic American lifestyle complete with fresh new houses, spacious yards, trees, crime-free, and basketball goal in driveway, etc.

It would be nice if the legislature would reward Hattiesburg's success by somehow converting part of Hwy 98 west (between I-59 and the mall at the very least) into an actual interstate. That way there would be no traffic lights for traffic going east and west all the way in to USM ideally, instead lights only for traffic going north and south under Hwy 98.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or