U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:00 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,210,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Panic!!! Panic!!! We're a small state that doesn't have as many doctors as California and New York! Everyone flee the state!!!

Again, that is not how per capita works.

Mississippi has the least amount of physician services available per person. It has nothing to do with the size of the state or other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:33 PM

976 posts, read 589,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Again, that is not how per capita works.

Mississippi has the least amount of physician services available per person. It has nothing to do with the size of the state or other states.
Your article specifically states that rural areas are the most affected. The Coast isn't a rural area. There will be zero issues finding a doctor.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Your article specifically states that rural areas are the most affected. The Coast isn't a rural area. There will be zero issues finding a doctor.

As I have said, it does not mean they are no doctors in Mississippi. It does not mean there are no good doctors in Mississippi. There is a problem though. It is a problem in many places and is worst in Mississippi. Mississippi has the fewest number of doctors per capita and some of the worst health outcomes in the nation. There is a strong correlation between health outcomes and number of physicians. Yes, it is worse in the rural areas(as it is in most of the nation)it is still horrible in most of the urban areas.

Fewer doctors from a less competitive pool also means even if you find a doctor, you chances of finding a less capable doctor are higher. There is another issue as well, not all doctors do the same thing. The shortage of some types of doctors is even more critical.

Once again, Mississippi is last. LAST PLACE.....last....the worst. Not understanding statistics or cherry picking something that must be taken in context with a larger data set does not change that. You can't pompom and cheer lead your way past this. Someones love and hope for Mississippi does not change it. Someones personal experiences with Mississippi does not change it. Putting your head in the sand does not change it. It is what it is, and it is a bad thing.

If that makes people have strong emotional reactions, so be it.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:36 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,022,826 times
I'd talk more but I'm currently packing my bags to move cause before now I didn't realize we were a small state with fewer doctors than bigger states

Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
I'd talk more but I'm currently packing my bags to move cause before now I didn't realize we were a small state with fewer doctors than bigger states

You can repeat that a thousand time but it is not the issue. Per capita.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 AM

976 posts, read 589,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
As I have said, it does not mean they are no doctors in Mississippi. It does not mean there are no good doctors in Mississippi. There is a problem though. It is a problem in many places and is worst in Mississippi. Mississippi has the fewest number of doctors per capita and some of the worst health outcomes in the nation. There is a strong correlation between health outcomes and number of physicians. Yes, it is worse in the rural areas(as it is in most of the nation)it is still horrible in most of the urban areas.

Fewer doctors from a less competitive pool also means even if you find a doctor, you chances of finding a less capable doctor are higher. There is another issue as well, not all doctors do the same thing. The shortage of some types of doctors is even more critical.

Once again, Mississippi is last. LAST PLACE.....last....the worst. Not understanding statistics or cherry picking something that must be taken in context with a larger data set does not change that. You can't pompom and cheer lead your way past this. Someones love and hope for Mississippi does not change it. Someones personal experiences with Mississippi does not change it. Putting your head in the sand does not change it. It is what it is, and it is a bad thing.

If that makes people have strong emotional reactions, so be it.
If I listed out the problems Mississippi has, per capita doctors would be about #57. I'm more concerned about the economy and demographic shifts.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
If I listed out the problems Mississippi has, per capita doctors would be about #57. I'm more concerned about the economy and demographic shifts.
That is fair enough but not what the topic of this thread is about, nor does it mitigate the reality that this is a problem as well.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:20 PM

1,094 posts, read 535,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherAnne View Post
Hi. I'm thinking about moving north of Gulfport, or somewhere in the area. Would a new resident be able to find a doctor easily? Also, since I'm almost Medicare age--do most of the doctors take Medicare?

Some of the houses and neighborhoods I've seen online look very charming, and the water photos have me kicking myself for living so far inland all my life.

Thanks.

Anne
I studied public health in Florida and did research with a Nurse Practitioner (NP) in Pensacola. In general, there is a primary care physician shortage throughout the country. One of the worse states is Mississippi.
Physician shortage especially acute in rural areas of state - Mississippi Business Journal

There are states that are aware of the shortage and addressed it partially by giving NPs full autonomy.
Mississippi only gives nurses reduced autonomy. Given the primary care shortage in that state, it really should give full autonomy.
https://onlinenursing.simmons.edu/nu...-practice-map/

So it doesn't look good for the Gulf states and primary care. I understand the desire for southerners to live along the coast: beaches, sea food (e.g. grilled red snapper), culture, sports (SEC sports), etc. That fantastic Mississippi State victory in the Women's Final Four of NCAA D1 Basketball did not surprise me. As a guy who had worked close by in the FL Panhandle, I was aware of their sold-out home games and fan frenzy.

But healthcare would be limited. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or