U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2017, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 7,221,437 times
Reputation: 37457

Advertisements

Unfortunately, feral species that are able to sustain their numbers are extremely difficult to eradicate. These things happen because people - hog owners, in this case - are somehow irresponsible. They cut their animals loose for whatever reason, or they failed to properly control them and they got loose, and now they're a public problem. The public through the state have to deal with them, all because someone (actually, many different someones) was careless and/or negligent with their stock of pigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
I was half kidding about the boar BBQ. Poisoning the creatures would be a big mistake. Phil's idea about the sterilization is the best idea.
it's no solution at all. How do you sterilize every animal? You can't. And if you don't, then you're just temporarily tamping down the problem. Hell, it would be a monumental effort just to capture and sterilize a bare majority of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
I'm inclined to consider less rational solutions such as miniaturized hogs to be used as service animals. I'm willing to bet that they're smarter than dogs. Sorry dog lovers.
How do you 'miniaturize' an animal? You can't. You can do that to species, but not individuals. How does capturing a wild hog and start a breeding program to make smaller hogs do anything to eliminate the remaining wild hogs? It doesn't.

By the way, while pigs are smarter than dogs, dogs have tens of thousands of years of breeding designed to create dogs that obey human commands in a wide variety of ways. Pigs have been domesticated for thousands of years, but little to none of that domestication involves taking commands and performing tasks. They're also a lot less socialized for interaction with humans. If intelligence was all that mattered, we'd have service gorillas. But much more matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
The reckless slaughter of these boars seems cruel and wasteful. Are they difficult to kill? Why couldn't a skilled marksman take one down with one shot? Do it quickly and efficiently-then cook it!
Individually, no, they're not difficult to kill. But killing one here or there doesn't solve the problem. You could halve the population and in a year or two they would propagate right back to where you started. The issue isn't finding people who are good shots, it's finding all the wild hogs - and you obviously have to find them before you can kill them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2017, 06:50 PM
 
1,472 posts, read 1,982,379 times
Reputation: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Unforntatnly, they are non-native species and very destructive. They are hard to kill (stay hidden in thick cover) and reproduce like crazy. The term "nuisance animal" is often used, but is truly the case. They destroy crops, wildlife habitat and small trees. They never stop eating and will dig huge holes in the landscape. they do not taste good, so people usually don't hunt them for food. They often travel in packs, one shot and the majority will scatter, even if you can get one or two, dozens more escape, reproduce and destroy. They haven't yet started getting hit by cars in large numbers, but that day is likely coming.

I have News for you they are very Good Eating.





brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2017, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,789 posts, read 3,865,969 times
Reputation: 4296
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
These "Russian boars" are just ordinary feral hogs.
They are both feral hogs, wild boars, and mixed breeds in Mississippi. Other locations have other varieties (javelinas, etc.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
The reckless slaughter of these boars seems cruel and wasteful. Are they difficult to kill? Why couldn't a skilled marksman take one down with one shot? Do it quickly and efficiently-then cook it!
A skilled marksman (ha!) can easily take down one or two, but the rest of the herd runs off to reproduce. The next time you see that herd it's doubled in size.

Also, establishing a hunting system tends to INCREASE population because people like to hunt. Here in Tennessee they started an official hunting season with no bag limits to combat a few isolated populations of feral hogs (very few boars up here). People in the infested areas would invite friends from other areas to hunt with them. The friends liked hunting so much they (illegally) trapped some, hauled them to uninfested areas, and released them. Within a few years of establishing a hunting season to "control numbers" the numbers had exploded and dozens more isolated pockets of hogs had popped up in remote areas. The state went from 15 infested counties to 80 in spite of their catchy acronym:



The only way to eradicate a herd is to set up a large (and very strong) pen with remote-activated drop-gates. Leave it up for weeks when the gates open, steadily providing lots of good feed. Then one night when the ENTIRE HERD is inside the pen drop the gates.

And for what it's worth, wild hog meat is generally leaner and slightly stronger tasting than domesticated pork, but still very good. Many say it tastes better than domesticated pork. And just like venison, how the kill is made plus how you treat the animal between the kill and butchering is 90% of how it tastes. The other 10% is what it eats. If you kill a big boar after a long run and fight with it pumped full of adrenaline, then haul it around in the back of your pickup on a 100deg day to show all your friends and take pictures before dropping it off at the butcher, then yeah it's gonna taste like cr*p.
Why You Should be Eating More Wild Pigs Right Now | Serious Eats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I am not a hunter but I know firearms. Hunters here use AR15's on them here and it makes an excellent hunting weapon - sometimes chambered for larger rounds, sometimes using .223 with well placed shots.
Unless you're talking about the .300BO, technically the AR15 chambered for larger rounds is the AR10... the -15's older big brother. An AR10 chambered in .243 makes a fine hog gun. Powerful enough to take down the largest boar, but fairly low recoil allowing rapid fire when it decides it wants to charge and eat you.


And for those advocating sterilization, here is how you castrate a wild boar [warning - somewhat graphic]:
https://youtu.be/lUbEJW8atCc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2017, 08:28 AM
 
12,094 posts, read 18,275,979 times
Reputation: 18700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Unless you're talking about the .300BO, technically the AR15 chambered for larger rounds is the AR10... the -15's older big brother. An AR10 chambered in .243 makes a fine hog gun. Powerful enough to take down the largest boar, but fairly low recoil allowing rapid fire when it decides it wants to charge and eat you.
Dude you just change the upper, yes? AR15s are modular as you know. AR15 in a .308, just buy the upper.
But I am not a hunter, I actually want to change mine to a .22 for the cheaper ammo for plinking purposes (for that I can just add a cheap bolt conversion).
There was a thread in this sites gun forum on AR15 (or 10) boar hunting a few months back as I remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,789 posts, read 3,865,969 times
Reputation: 4296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Dude you just change the upper, yes? AR15s are modular as you know. AR15 in a .308, just buy the upper.
But I am not a hunter, I actually want to change mine to a .22 for the cheaper ammo for plinking purposes (for that I can just add a cheap bolt conversion).
There was a thread in this sites gun forum on AR15 (or 10) boar hunting a few months back as I remember.
No, the .308 family of cartridges is too long for a traditional AR15. The magazines won't fit in the lower receiver.

That said, the AR10 and AR15 names are only for Armalite/Colt brand rifles. Other manufacturers of clones use different names and they all look basically the same anyway. That and maybe some of the newer manufacturers do have lowers that will take a .308-length magazine, or else they have different lowers but basically the same name; I haven't paid any attention to that world in a while.
https://www.ammoland.com/2016/04/ar-...ical-time-line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Southern California
442 posts, read 525,370 times
Reputation: 1157
I am enjoying all of these posts. Obviously, my knowledge of such things is woefully inadequate.

Good to know that there is a campaign underway to make use of these hogs. I especially enjoyed jwkilgore's post containing information about how to maximize the flavor using the various methods he described above. 'Why You Should Be Eating More Wild Pigs Right Now,' is an excellent article. I had a feeling they might be tasty and nutritious.

My father used to hunt javelina. If I'm not mistaken it was in Arizona. I'm trying to find an old photo of him and a javelina. If I remember correctly, he said that they were quite aggressive.

Last edited by Seadory; 04-19-2017 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 PM
 
803 posts, read 764,280 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
I have News for you they are very Good Eating.





brushrunner
They can be good eating, but will never be as good as farm raised pork, in the same way that deer will never taste as good as farm raised cows. A few people will say "deer taste better than beef," but for the vast majority, beef is much better. Farmed raised beef and pork are both relatively inexpensive, couple that with the processing of wild boar being labor and time intensive, wild boar will never be considered by most as a major food source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2017, 06:35 PM
 
803 posts, read 764,280 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
No, the .308 family of cartridges is too long for a traditional AR15. The magazines won't fit in the lower receiver.

That said, the AR10 and AR15 names are only for Armalite/Colt brand rifles. Other manufacturers of clones use different names and they all look basically the same anyway. That and maybe some of the newer manufacturers do have lowers that will take a .308-length magazine, or else they have different lowers but basically the same name; I haven't paid any attention to that world in a while.
https://www.ammoland.com/2016/04/ar-...ical-time-line
jwkilgore is right on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2017, 09:46 AM
 
630 posts, read 482,378 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
I am enjoying all of these posts. Obviously, my knowledge of such things is woefully inadequate.

Good to know that there is a campaign underway to make use of these hogs. I especially enjoyed jwkilgore's post containing information about how to maximize the flavor using the various methods he described above. 'Why You Should Be Eating More Wild Pigs Right Now,' is an excellent article. I had a feeling they might be tasty and nutritious.

My father used to hunt javelina. If I'm not mistaken it was in Arizona. I'm trying to find an old photo of him and a javelina. If I remember correctly, he said that they were quite aggressive.
Javelinas are not members of the pig family. They run in packs and will defend themselves but I never heard of them attacking anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2017, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,789 posts, read 3,865,969 times
Reputation: 4296
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
Javelinas are not members of the pig family. They run in packs and will defend themselves but I never heard of them attacking anyone.
I'm the one who mentioned javelinas (peccaries) in an off-hand comment. It was poorly worded, so many people misunderstood my meaning, but I was NOT saying javelinas lived in Mississippi. After some reasearch it looks like deb is right. Not only are peccaries a different genus and species, they are in a whole different Family. Peccaries are in family Tayassuidae (only 4 distinct species) while all Eurasian boar (and their domesticated cousins) are in family Suidae.

It's still true that the wild hogs found in Mississippi are a mix of true wild boar, feral pigs, and various hybrids. Terms like Russian Boar, Razorback, etc. are colloquialisms. While both groups ultimately descended from ancestors that escaped from human captivity, the distinction between the two is that wild boar were never modified by modern breeding techniques. Kinda like how the captivity-bred wolves used to repopulate the western US are different from, say, a pack of feral chihuahuas.

Feral Chihuahuas Rampage in Arizona


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top