Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 01:38 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
They'd end up KILLING THEMSELVES, dying of overdose, killed by local gangs, or moving to Seattle or Missoula. This is a VERY CHALLENGING place, actually, and if you can't cut the mustard, you will be frozen out of pretty-much everything. The first time a Southerner says something like, "Waaaa-yul, EVURTHANG's gon' keeee-yul yuh" (mocking local obsessions with diet, pesticides, enzymes, herbicides...), he finds himself in a world of hurt. Generally, just opening your mouth, if you have a Southern accent, marks you as a moron.

Jobs are hard to come by, and (contrary to expectations generated by 'Portlandia') this is not an upside-down world, where losers are winners, and people too lame to impress in NYC or LA - or even Minneapolis, become 'Hip'. Lots of lame, undereducated losers, watch 'Portlandia', and say to themselves, "Heeeeey! I could move THERE, and fit right in!" They end up experiencing DEEP REGRET.

People who arrive in Oregon, thinking they'll be "Making jewelry, now!" (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBPT1pgByqc), end up reading Final Exit and following-through (or moving to Phoenix, which is pretty-much the same thing).

And then, there's the climate, which many people consider "too cold and too gray". My husband loves it, but then he likes wearing suits every day - particularly silk/cashmere blends, which are not exactly cooling. He can even wear his collection of cashmere overcoats, sometimes, while in Mississippi, he could wear a topcoat on one or two days, every couple of YEARS (this is a man who experiences Thermal Bliss, in Montreal, in February).

No, most Mississippians would go into cold-&-dark-enduced depression, and die of substance abuse or suicide.

Atlanta is the absolute ideal, as a destination for Mississippians, as is Prince George's County, Maryland. Atlanta, alone, could easily absorb the bottom third of Mississippi, and process that population into acceptably comfortable people. Mississippians of all colors, have been moving there, for generations, now, and doing VERY well. For those who aren't "Atlanta Types", there's Knoxville and Nashville.
I don't think "Portlandia" is a popular show in Mississippi. Where you live can determine your favorite TV shows.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...maps.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 03:43 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I don't think "Portlandia" is a popular show in Mississippi. Where you live can determine your favorite TV shows.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...maps.html?_r=0
Thanks for that WONDERFUL link! Even though I DO tend to ignore anything said by the rabidly subversive/pro-Communist/pro-Frankfurt-Agenda/anti-Protestant/anti-white/anti-American New York Times (an insanely biased rag of a paper, which STILL insists upon demonizing the first decent President since Eisenhower, and the first person since Goldwater, who might actually save America), I find all those maps fascinating (despite the obvious anti-Trump purpose of the article).

Haven't heard of half those shows. Funny how the article shows Mississippi as the densest concentration of whatever quality exemplifies, 'The Black Belt', and how pretty-much anything on TV that's calibrated for the STUPID, is wildly popular in Mississippi.

However, there's a steady stream of young people from the South (in a wide array of colors), who think they'll fit-in in Portland (despite their having Camaros and Mustangs and Pit Bulls, and despite having absolutely NONE of the enculturation necessary for being an asset in the PNW - and none of the education...), because they saw the place on 'Portlandia', or in 'My Private Idaho', and think, "Wow! Looks like losers like me & m'girl will do real good, up there, 'cause everybody's a no-count-nothin' just like US!!!!"

They're up here looking for Jobs, and making jackasses of themselves. And it seems there's one-a-week, even on City-Data's Portland Forum - totally clueless as to the fact that they're absolutely wrong for the PNW. They think Portland looks "cool", but have no idea that they, themselves, are only cool, maybe, by Gatlinburg, Tennessee standards, or Biloxi, Mississippi standards (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er4kvvc--4k), but are the OPPOSITE OF COOL, here in Portland.

People in rural Southern trailer parks, DO have satellite whatever for their TVs, and enough people in such circumstances, watch 'Portlandia', to create trouble for Portland. I'm sorry but liking coffee, and being aimless and marginally-employable, are NOT requisites for living in the PNW. And we view their Pit Bulls as being nothing but redundant blobs of CARBON FOOTPRINT.

Instead, these people should be headed for San Antonio, Dallas, Atlanta, Northern Florida, Charlotte, Nashville, or Knoxville - all places where they will find themselves, and their lives, blossoming.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 06-19-2017 at 03:53 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 09:01 AM

205 posts, read 249,850 times
How did this thread get so off topic?

What does Portland Oregon in particular have to do with population growth or potential population growth in Mississippi?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
How did this thread get so off topic?

What does Portland Oregon in particular have to do with population growth or potential population growth in Mississippi?
Because, when I posited that Mississippi needs BETTER people, rather than MORE people, and that what would benefit the state the most, would be to evacuate the bottom third of Mississippi's population, to places which were less challenging for the less feckful, Mouldy Old Schmo enquired as to Portland's suitability as a place to which some them might be evacuated.

The rest, resulted from my need to explain, twice, that Portland is among the WORST places to send such people.

And truly, now that there is air conditioning, the primary reason why Mississippi's Best & Brightest continue to leave, is that they do not wish to deal with the BOTTOM THIRD of the populace. Nor do the departing Best & Brightest wish to spend their lives (as they've seen their parents and grandparents doing) fighting the 'undertow' created by the Bottom Third.

When I came along, two generations of my own uncles had fled Mississippi (the ones with Hebrew admixture, at least: the ones NOT descended from the Russian Peddler, stayed behind). And I cannot think of a single person in my old circle in Mississippi, whose families are different, in that regard.

It is almost universal (among the type of families whom I would tend to know - a rather restless and rapacious bunch), that relatives who've left, report that there is less of a 'drag', when you "get out of Mississippi". "Everything was so hard, in Mississippi, but the minute we got to Asheville (or Nashville, or Knoxville, or Atlanta, or Dallas, or Houston, or...), it was like we weren't walking through knee-deep mud, anymore."

"In Mississippi, the sky hovers about ten feet above your head. We got to Texas, and the sky was so high, there was no limit to how high it might be."

Well, that 'Low Sky' is CREATED by PEOPLE - people who, because of a combination of genetics, enculturation, a certain inertia which exists in Mississippi, and the climate, exist like hostile lumps, making everything harder than it ought to be.

If you want to attract (or simply prevent from leaving) the 'Movers & Shakers & Job-makers', then you first need to evacuate, to easier states, the people who make everything so hard, and so hostile (Mississippi vs. Everyone: State’s pushing obscene law that’s not only anti-LGBT, it could also force women to wear makeup - Salon.com), for the Best & Brightest.

As the link, provided by Mouldy Old Schmo, revealed, 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' is wildly popular in Mississippi. I think that it would be wonderful, if more Mississippians in difficult circumstances, could REALLY become Housewives of Atlanta.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:54 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
There is a connection between "Portlandia" and Mississippi. Fred Armisen, series co-creator, co-producer, co-writer, and co-star, was born in Hattiesburg.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Armisen

Old 06-29-2017, 04:00 PM

16 posts, read 12,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Troll.
Swing and a miss.

Try again.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:38 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
Not according to the U.S. Census Bureau!
And that's relevant why? The US Census bureau lumps together multiple cities in multiple STATES to make stuff easier for themselves what they consider the same or different for that fact is irrelevant.

Quote:
Virginia was the home to the capitol of the Confederacy
Alaska used to be Canada. California used to be Mexico. They're not anymore. I live in 2017 not hundreds of years ago.

Quote:
and it's the state where the first black African slaves were brought to the 13 colonies.
Irrelevant to the conversation but I'm reading.

Quote:
Maryland has the 4th highest percentage of its total population being African Americans in the country, with the African American population and proportion of African Americans as part of the whole population exceeding that of Deep Southern state South Carolina.
Fail to see how this pertains to US Census Bureau lines, not that they were relevant to begin with but ok.....

Quote:
Delaware has the 9th highest percentage of African Americans, beating out eastern Virginia's 19.7% at 21%.
Still has nothing to do with the conversation at hand but ok.......

Quote:
DC's location was essentially decided upon by a wealthy Southern tobacco planter turned general and politician (George Washington) and was a slave territory until 1862.
Good to know........

Quote:
If any of those states don't belong in The South, that state would be West Virginia, which, unlike every other Southern State except maybe Kentucky, has had a historical mining and mineral extraction presence. It's so white that not even 5% of its population is black, which is basically all the minorities that exists in WV, since each of the other races constitute less than 1% each.
Still making this about Blacks and slavery..... gotcha

Quote:
Nontheless, the Mason-Dixon Line does run through it partially, and the majority of the state is below the Mason-Dixon line. So the census bureau considers it to be Southern.
Ok, so we're back on track. The Mason Dixon line is a very historic way to view the "South" from then to now. If you travel any of these states regularly you know it to be very far from an accurate line anymore.

Quote:
I really hope this thread doesn't get much more off topic.
Compared to the trail off you just went on? Pretty sure thats not even humanly possibly.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Why Can't Big Tech Companies Move to Cheaper Places? should supply you with info about why even Iowa, similar size in most respects to Mississippi but better education and lower poverty, would seem to have trouble attracting such companies.

Post 3 by Enigma777 gets straight to the point from a hard nosed practical point of view, but this is by no means the only relevant difficulty.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but alert you to the challenges facing rural and small-city based states.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:10 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Why Can't Big Tech Companies Move to Cheaper Places? should supply you with info about why even Iowa, similar size in most respects to Mississippi but better education and lower poverty, would seem to have trouble attracting such companies.

Post 3 by Enigma777 gets straight to the point from a hard nosed practical point of view, but this is by no means the only relevant difficulty.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but alert you to the challenges facing rural and small-city based states.
Good points, and good thread.

This is why I've long argued that Mississippi is going to have to go outside the box in order to have real growth. All the popular trends right now won't work, obviously. The economy is going to have to change in order to see big growth. But for the moment, they need to work on keeping homegrown people home. That's the biggest problem, people raised in MS, go to college in MS, then leave the state for work.

Not exactly sure how you change that. Agriculture isn't coming back. Recreation, History and Tourism are my ideas, but nobody else seems to agree. Manufacturing isn't going to keep the college graduates from leaving, that only helps with the non-college educated group, for the most part.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:46 PM

"Recreation", "History", and "Tourism" were the ideas of the 1960s. You can see how well they worked.

And the state does not need "growth". It is, and should remain, a place for farms and timberlands, dotted by small towns. The Top Two-thirds of Mississippi's population is doing JUST FINE. Aside from the miserable climate, the only major problem for the Top Two Thirds, is the Bottom Third of the population.

The answer to the problems experienced by the Bottom Third, and the answer to the problems caused by the Bottom Third, is to evacuate them to places where they can do better. As long as they remain in Mississippi, they will be wretched and miserable, and the state will remain a wretched and miserable place.

The Atlanta Metro, all by itself, can easily absorb the bottom million of Mississippi's populace. It's a place where people who, in places like Mississippi and Louisiana, were near the bottom Video Of Tyler Perry’s $25 Million 34,000 Square Foot Atlanta Mega Mansion! | HOTR, can, as if by some alchemy, be transformed Tour Evander Holyfield's Former Mansion | HGTV, and rise to the top. Creflo Dollar's House in Fayetteville, GA (Google Maps) - Virtual Globetrotting Even Honey Boo Boo & Mama June were able to find an impressive McMansion, in Atlanta's outskirts, to fit their budget: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rangement.html

Yes, making birth control and abortion free and pleasantly easy to get, would help, immensely. And (instead of waiting for local 'Random Males' to impregnate them) flying Welfare Sows to Denmark for insemination, via that nation's excellent sperm banks (people from all over the world are doing it, in order to have the best babies possible), would GRADUALLY rectify one facet of the problem. Denmark (pre-immigration) was the happiest nation in the world (due to innate and heritable characteristics of the Danish People). Mississippi's Bottom Third, would gradually, over generations, grow less miserable & helpless, and more happy & productive.

But "both sides of the aisle" are against such measures, for absurd ideological reasons. Huge cash bonuses for sterilization, would also work fantastically-well. A quarter-million or so, as a bonus, would yield a win/win, both for the state's redundant-yet-fecund little females, and for 'Society'. But, once-again, it's NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

But chartering buses, arranging housing, and EVACUATING MISSISSIPPI'S POOR, is something that's doable, has been done before, and is being done right now, in other states. Governor Vilsack of Iowa, volunteered to import scads of inner-city people from the the New York Megalopolis - transforming his state! New York, without asking anybody in Wisconsin, decided to bus scads of Inner City People to Milwaukee: and what a change it's made! Chicago has decided to export its chronically-hopeless, to little towns in Southern Illinois. But noplace has such a proven track-record of success, for downtrodden transplants from across the Deep South, as does Atlanta. Plus, it's only eight hours away.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-07-2017 at 04:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi