U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:05 PM

1,256 posts, read 537,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
No place is perfect and its really easy to become focussed on the negative stuff when you feel stuck in a place you'd really rather not be. I can't help but get the idea that you're the kind of person who will never be content or satisfied in any other state but your home state of Michigan.
That may be true. And stuck (or trapped) is a good way to describe it. I've learned a lot about myself down here, Mississippi and I are just not a good fit. Michigan has everything I require, but I would probably choose the more Southern part of the state for less snow. Our families are all still up there ... 1,200 miles away. Homesickness is a very real thing, y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 05:42 PM

806 posts, read 772,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
So ... I haven't posted here for a couple of years, but wanted to check in to give an update on our experience living here in Mississippi. This is my opinion only. Every person is different, what you like and dislike may vary greatly. What you consider a good quality of life may differ from me. This is simply my perspective and personal experience, having lived on the Gulf of Mississippi for 6-1/2 years. I hope it is helpful.

Town: Bay St. Louis
Moved here: 3/01/11
Came from: Northern Michigan - home for 36 years
My age now: 42

I will say that we consulted City Data for local advice and information before our move here, everything sounded great so hopes were high and we moved here fully embracing it. But I hate it here. I love our church, I've made some of the best friends of my life since coming here. Aside from that ... it's miserable. "Baby, baby it's a wild world." A great big wonderfully wild, wide world. You may come here and love it, many consider it paradise. It's just not my cup of tea ... here's why:

Litter, trash, garbage everywhere ... shows a lack of respect and pride of community.

The heat, y'all. I'm not even lying. You may love it. I can't take it.

Water moccasins in our yard, especially the spring, but this summer has been so stinking rainy, they come in the yard! Our property backs up to swampland. We have 5 kids who can't play outside safely .... that really really sucks.

Flesh eating bacteria/ vibrio in the Gulf. We have always lived on the water, our kids grew up swimming .... yet another thing they can't do here. Locals have always told us not to swim in the Gulf. What do they know that tourists don't? Why can't my kids have a normal quality of life being outdoors without something trying to kill them?

Hurricanes. I will be honest, I thought I could handle this one. Was I crazy?! Probably in denial. But my anxiety about this has gotten out of control as I've gotten older. It robs me of my peace of mind and just makes everything else I hate about living down here seem so much worse. If that's possible. Bay St. Louis was wiped out by Hurricane Katrina. Our church property was under 15 ft of water. Our home sits at 10' above sea level. Tropical Storms flood hundreds of our streets. What will a Cat 1 or 2 do? We are sitting ducks. Get me out of here, I can't take it anymore.

The Mañana culture. "I'll get to it later." We are a family of hustlers, go-getters, we get things done. We walk fast, we work hard. Combined with the litter problem here, it just isn't impressive.

Drugs, opiates, heroin. My word is it bad here. Hancock County has the highest rate of depression and suicide in Mississippi. Panhandlers, homeless, scammers wanting drug money.

Traffic. They drive crazy, at least 15 over the speed limit. Constant accidents on 603. Constant sirens here. I hate that.

My kids have had a hard time getting good paying jobs. Applying for everything online is a ridiculous joke.

I miss being able to have a fire pit in my backyard. My backyard with no poisonous snakes and spiders. Take note: Little things really do matter.

Bay St. Louis Old Town is charming ... cottages ... walking along the sidewalk on the Gulf. But this is a big party town, and we don't drink or go to bars. We don't gamble. Our favorite quiet date times are spent at the beautiful new marina, looking at the boats, listening to the waves. Our favorite park is Veterans Park in Pass Christian. But those couple of fun things don't make up for the rest. I don't like Gulfport, Biloxi, Slidell or New Orleans. We've been to the top of Mississippi, to Tupelo, to Meridian, to Vicksburg and to Natchez. I don't like any of it. I don't feel safe and secure here, and that means a lot too me. I'm glad we came here, I've learned a lot, I have no regrets and have made wonderful friendships. But as soon as we can, we will be going.

We've traveled extensively. I LOVE North Alabama by the Tennessee border. I love Tennessee. New Hampshire is amazing. Virginia is beautiful. Michigan is always home. I don't know where we will end up, but I'm pretty much going to guarantee it won't be hurricane country. I don't require a lot. Clean air and environment. Peace and quiet. Being safe outdoors. Putting my feet in the water while my kids swim for hours. Cool, crisp air and a fireplace. Seasons!!!! I miss seasons and a true fall. Quality of life matters so much to mental health and wellbeing. I miss so many little things that I never considered before, it has given me a rich appreciation for it when I do get to enjoy it in other places.

I hope you all find your way home, wherever that may be. ❤️
You have pretty much summed up the entire state! Why do you think we are last in all the good stuff and first in all the bad stuff? BSL is likely in the top ten places to live in the entire state, so you can imagine the _____ hole most of the rest of the state is like.

One issue we have is low expectations, when it comes to our cities, elected leaders, citizens, legal system, schools, etc. We consistently say "well that's just Mississippi." As someone once posted in this forum, MS is not all that different in agrarian economy, size, population, etc, from Iowa, yet Iowa is not in near as bad shape as MS. We continue to accept mediocracy, and I don't see it getting any better. If you don't have a great job here or some other strong tie, move!

I recently read that 1/2 of all disposable income in the state is from the gub'mint, whether it be federal, state or local gov employees, social security, SSI, VA, or other transfer payments. Also, consider that every other commercial you see or hear is some type of personal injury lawyer advertisement. I know every state has this, but not our level.

Beg your kids and all young adults you care about to leave, Nashville, Knoxville, Huntsville, ATL burds; all have great opportunities, are relatively close and are much better places to live.

Last edited by viverlibre; 08-22-2017 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 06:02 PM

13,501 posts, read 8,497,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
You have pretty much summed up the entire state!...........
Nah.

90% of what he said doesn't apply to NE Mississippi.

I've never understood the allure of the beach, no matter where it is. And "The Beach" just barely exists in Bay St Louis.

He complains because it is hot? He didn't know that?
I've never even seen a water moccasin. Plenty of snakes. None Poisonous.
Katrina flattened Bay St Louis in 2005. SP knew all that when he moved there in 2011. I have to wonder how many hurricanes he has seen since 2011....? I haven't noticed any.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 PM

3,229 posts, read 4,192,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nah.

I've never understood the allure of the beach, no matter where it is. And "The Beach" just barely exists in Bay St Louis.

Katrina flattened Bay St Louis in 2005. SP knew all that when he moved there in 2011. I have to wonder how many hurricanes he has seen since 2011....? I haven't noticed any.
Hmmmm....
I think it's time for THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE, THE SNAKE-KILLIN' DOG: Cottonmouths, armadillos and leprosy

Old 08-23-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Nah.

First of all, I'm not a he.

You've never seen a water moccasin. Come to my yard/ lake when it rains. This is my experience, not yours.

One never fully comprehends heat until you've lived in Mississippi, and living in AC does not equal quality of life for me. I underestimated what consistent 100+ degree indexes with a wall of heat and feeling like you are breathing in a furnace actually feels like. Much like a Mississippian might find upon moving to Northern Michigan with -28 wind chill and 48" of snow. These things must be experienced firsthand in order to be fully appreciated, yes???

2 itty bitty tropical storms have flooded hundreds of roads, yards and homes here since 2011. Hurricane Isaac was a Cat 1 and left 6 ft of water in homes here. I am terrified of deep water. An incapacitating all consuming fear which has gotten so much worse these 6 years.

I've got to hand it to y'all ... you sure are willing to put up with a heck of a lot to call Mississippi home. Maybe that explains the drugs .........

Old 08-23-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Hmmmm....
I think it's time for THE ADVENTURES OF MAGGIE, THE SNAKE-KILLIN' DOG: Cottonmouths, armadillos and leprosy
Jeez, Glo! Do you read just EVERYTHING?!

Leprosy. Now that's one thing that Mississippi just could not lead the US in! I checked and found 3 cases in Florida and a couple in California, so I feel pretty safe.
Besides, your stort purportedly took place in The Delta. And nothing - and I mean nothing - would surprise me about The Delta. I love The Delta! I love the heat, the people, the endless fields - the whole thing. But if I found out that The Delta led the US in Leprosy, I simply would not be surprised. I'd just keep reading. One more reason to go visit, maybe. I mean, I've never seen a real case of leprosy.

Insofar as the poster who had been burned out by Bay St Louis, I fully understand. Cute and cottagey only go so far, I guess, and after you get through marveling at the narrow streets and run down
cottages... well, you're done.

The Gulf water around Bay St Louis is butt-ugly, but it's safe. I imagine the locals got a royal kick out of convincing their resident Yankee that it was lethal, but you gotta remember that "puttin the shuck" on Yankees has been a southern past time since 1862. It shows no sign of abating, either. Yankees are fair game and can usually be spotted by an attentive southerner even before they open their mouths.

And WHO IN TH' HECK would name a dog Maggie!
A Southerner.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
First of all, I'm not a he.

You've never seen a water moccasin. Come to my yard/ lake when it rains. This is my experience, not yours.

One never fully comprehends heat until you've lived in Mississippi, and living in AC does not equal quality of life for me. I underestimated what consistent 100+ degree indexes with a wall of heat and feeling like you are breathing in a furnace actually feels like. Much like a Mississippian might find upon moving to Northern Michigan with -28 wind chill and 48" of snow. These things must be experienced firsthand in order to be fully appreciated, yes???

2 itty bitty tropical storms have flooded hundreds of roads, yards and homes here since 2011. Hurricane Isaac was a Cat 1 and left 6 ft of water in homes here. I am terrified of deep water. An incapacitating all consuming fear which has gotten so much worse these 6 years.

I've got to hand it to y'all ... you sure are willing to put up with a heck of a lot to call Mississippi home. Maybe that explains the drugs .........
Uh-Oh. Now you have fallen into your own trap.

Your beloved state of Michigan ranks higher in drug use than Mississippi. Illicit drugs, marijuana, alcohol; cocaine; pills.... every single category.
15 Maps That Show How Americans Use Drugs - Business Insider

See, that's the danger of judging 3 million people by what happens in your neighborhood.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Uh-Oh. Now you have fallen into your own trap.

Your beloved state of Michigan ranks higher in drug use than Mississippi. Illicit drugs, marijuana, alcohol; cocaine; pills.... every single category.
15 Maps That Show How Americans Use Drugs - Business Insider

See, that's the danger of judging 3 million people by what happens in your neighborhood.

Drugs were only ONE factor I mentioned, being that Hancock County is among the worst. My list of reasons for hating it here was not extensive, nor complete. I have more! We have never been approached in parking lots by panhandlers and swindlers in Michigan. Since arriving in Mississippi 6 years ago we have never ceased to be hounded. But that's not all! They come to our door, as well. Positive spin / Chamber of Commerce moment: Mississippi must be such a friendly state to give strangers money all the time!

Ummm....a member of our church almost died from vibrio ... from fishing. He isn't a yankee. And he is only one of dozens of cases since we moved here in 2011, a few were fatal. Many lost limbs. Is that a joke to you? Perhaps Mississippi humor is something else that escapes me.

You obviously love it here. Congratulations.

Mediocre is the perfect word for it. I can't count the number of times my husband and I have looked at each other in exasperation and said, "Keep aiming high, Mississippi!"

*Fine print: Opinions expressed on City Data are solely owned by the member holding the opinion. Readers are free to disagree without taking it personally.

Last edited by SouthernProper; 08-23-2017 at 09:17 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 09:27 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,601,668 times
Quote:
Jeez, Glo! Do you read just EVERYTHING?!

Leprosy. Now that's one thing that Mississippi just could not lead the US in! I checked and found 3 cases in Florida and a couple in California, so I feel pretty safe.
Besides, your stort purportedly took place in The Delta. And nothing - and I mean nothing - would surprise me about The Delta. I love The Delta! I love the heat, the people, the endless fields - the whole thing. But if I found out that The Delta led the US in Leprosy, I simply would not be surprised. I'd just keep reading. One more reason to go visit, maybe. I mean, I've never seen a real case of leprosy.

Insofar as the poster who had been burned out by Bay St Louis, I fully understand. Cute and cottagey only go so far, I guess, and after you get through marveling at the narrow streets and run down
cottages... well, you're done.

The Gulf water around Bay St Louis is butt-ugly, but it's safe. I imagine the locals got a royal kick out of convincing their resident Yankee that it was lethal, but you gotta remember that "puttin the shuck" on Yankees has been a southern past time since 1862. It shows no sign of abating, either. Yankees are fair game and can usually be spotted by an attentive southerner even before they open their mouths.

And WHO IN TH' HECK would name a dog Maggie!
A Southerner.
I've never heard the phrase "puttin the shuck". Is it similar to inviting a yankee to go "snipe hunting"?

Old 08-23-2017, 10:39 AM

979 posts, read 600,379 times
Quote:
Drugs were only ONE factor I mentioned, being that Hancock County is among the worst. My list of reasons for hating it here was not extensive, nor complete. I have more! We have never been approached in parking lots by panhandlers and swindlers in Michigan. Since arriving in Mississippi 6 years ago we have never ceased to be hounded. But that's not all! They come to our door, as well. Positive spin / Chamber of Commerce moment: Mississippi must be such a friendly state to give strangers money all the time!

Ummm....a member of our church almost died from vibrio ... from fishing. He isn't a yankee. And he is only one of dozens of cases since we moved here in 2011, a few were fatal. Many lost limbs. Is that a joke to you? Perhaps Mississippi humor is something else that escapes me.

You obviously love it here. Congratulations.

Mediocre is the perfect word for it. I can't count the number of times my husband and I have looked at each other in exasperation and said, "Keep aiming high, Mississippi!"

*Fine print: Opinions expressed on City Data are solely owned by the member holding the opinion. Readers are free to disagree without taking it personally.
I understand you, and I am from Mississippi. I've never been a coast guy either. I've lived on the Florida coast as well, the appeal just isn't there for me. The heat is simply sweltering down there. But there are some people that absolutely love that lifestyle. I don't really like New Orleans either.

Mississippi certainly has its issues statewide, and I think most native Mississippians (such as me) perpetually live on the fence as to whether we should join the effort to save it, or just leave and totally abandon the cause. Live for something, die for nothing, sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi