Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,186 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon all!
I currently live and work in Ohio and my family and I are strongly considering a move to Mississippi soon. The company I work for offers work-at-home positions which ultimately would be what I would want to do if we move.
However it was brought to my attention today that apparently there are certain states that do not allow a person to work remotely from a different state unless they became an independent contractor, which isn't what I'd want to do.
I didn't want to go too far into it at work since we haven't made a decision yet about moving, and I was unable to find any info about this online myself.
Does anyone happen to know if this would be possible for me to do without the need to become an IC? Is it only applicable for certain states?
Any info is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Never heard of that restriction.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
I doubt this is the case in MS, but I'd do a lot of googling. Maybe a call to the State Tax Commission or Secretary of State's office....but that would likely yield incorrect information.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the quick replies!
I was also confused by this. Apparently we (the company I work for) have a couple employees who had to become IC's because they moved to states that "wouldn't allow" working for a company that wasn't located in a neighboring state. One of them now lives in Rhode Island and says she'd be able to live in Connecticut and it would work, but because she's in RI she had to become a contractor.
Everything I google seems to refer to living in one state and working in a neighboring state, but not one further away.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:10 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Seems like I can almost vaguely remember hearing something about that awhile back on 60 Minutes or 20/20 or John Stossell or one of those types of tv programs that exspose some sort of controversy but that's about all I remember about it as I really wasn't paying all that much attention to that particular segment as it did not interest me at that particular time but had I known this topic would becone a thread on City Data at some point in the future I promise you I would have paid much better attention so I could have a better answer for your question because what you described sounds somewhat familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabrooks View Post
Good afternoon all!
I currently live and work in Ohio and my family and I are strongly considering a move to Mississippi soon. The company I work for offers work-at-home positions which ultimately would be what I would want to do if we move.
However it was brought to my attention today that apparently there are certain states that do not allow a person to work remotely from a different state unless they became an independent contractor, which isn't what I'd want to do.
I didn't want to go too far into it at work since we haven't made a decision yet about moving, and I was unable to find any info about this online myself.
Does anyone happen to know if this would be possible for me to do without the need to become an IC? Is it only applicable for certain states?

Old 06-23-2017, 01:38 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Good afternoon all!

This is America man, you can live and work wherever you damn want!
There are no states that can possibly dictate where you live and work...of course not. I am a remote worker working for a European company, company US offices are in a northeastern state.

There might be some tax laws that you will have to adhere to in terms of who gets what part of your hard-earned money. No big deal. Your company might have to work out the W-2 details. You might have a lazy HR person that will give you a hard time.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:27 PM

That's what I was thinking too, Dd714. Supposedly at one point the company I work for was even considering renting an office for this worker over the border in CT so that she wouldn't have to go to contractor status. Wish I could find out more about this without raising any "OMG, she's moving!" flags around the office.
If it's just a thing my company does for certain states for whatever reasons, it could be a big factor on whether or not we move.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
That's what I was thinking too, Dd714. Supposedly at one point the company I work for was even considering renting an office for this worker over the border in CT so that she wouldn't have to go to contractor status. Wish I could find out more about this without raising any "OMG, she's moving!" flags around the office.
If it's just a thing my company does for certain states for whatever reasons, it could be a big factor on whether or not we move.
You have to go to your HR, no way around that. They may have to become registered in the state of MS which might require some fees and paperwork by your company if they are a small local-only company because now they are essentially doing business in this state. That's where the complexity comes in and they might give you a hard time about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi