U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:15 AM

977 posts, read 595,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I worked in manufacturing since I was an adult and I've belonged to unions before. My experience with unions is i would pay my union dues each month and they take care of employees who miss a lot of work and the workers who are lazy and the f-ups who make it hard for all the workers.

A union has never helped me out in any kind of way. Not to toot my own horn, but I was always the kind of worker who showed up for work on time and did my job and got along with everybody, stayed out of trouble at work and went home at the end of the day. My parents did instill in me a good work ethic.

When I was in a union, I resented being forced to pay union dues and I never got any benefits from it. It was like legalized robbery.

If you are the kind of person who misses alot of work or shows up late, and does a job only half-ass, and then complains alot, and doesn't get along with co workers and bosses, a union is exactly what you would need to save your job.

If you're a good worker and show up for work on time, get along with people, obey the company rules and stay out of trouble, you won't need a union. These companies want to keep their good workers and they reward them in different kind of ways. Most big companies now-a- days have respect for their workers, where back before unions, they didnt, and many companies acted like they despised the workers..

Unions in my opinion, have outlasted their necessity. If it wasn't for unions way back in the day when they were needed, people would be working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, no overtime pay, no paid vacations, no sick pay. Basically workers would be paid slaves.

That said, I would bet money the Nissan Company would threaten to leave the area if a unions got voted in.
This, all day.

Unfortunately, there's a sizable group of people who fit that bold description to a T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:25 AM

30,893 posts, read 13,440,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/05/b...ers-union.html
The vote wasn't really all that close; the union lost and there will be no union at Nissan.

The problem the union has these days is that they succeeded. They fought hard during the days when workers were exploited so badly, and got the workers to organize. But then they went and got laws passed that prevented companies from doing the things that unions put a stop to.

"So why do we need the union"?, people ask.
I guess the answer is, we don't - at least around here. People feel like they are treated about as fairly as is possible.
Besides, the union brought in outside help that was not viewed as being helpful. NAACP; Bernie Sanders; Danny Glover; religious leaders - I think that group actually hurt the union more it than helped them.
From your source:

"At one point leading up to the vote, managers delivered a slide presentation warning that in the event of a strike, most employees who walked out would not be guaranteed jobs afterward. Many workers appeared to find the presentation alarming, even though strikes are rare in the industry and replacing production workers could be difficult"

That's been the case in every auto plant where workers voted not to unionize- the workers were threatened, in this case it was about being fired if they walked out during a strike but they know darned well that a strike is extremely unlikely they were just devious enough not to let the workers know that. Some of the plants told workers that if they became unionized they would close the plant.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:02 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,344,483 times
The overwrought rhetoric of the unionization campaign at Nissan got me. They were promoting a narrative of white bosses exploiting black workers, as if it was a 21st century version of working in the cotton fields. Making $26 an hour doing quality control isn't wage slavery by any means. I'd like to know how many workers at the factory grew up in poverty and lived on welfare before that factory opened.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:02 PM

13,458 posts, read 8,476,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
From your source:

"At one point leading up to the vote, managers delivered a slide presentation warning that in the event of a strike, most employees who walked out would not be guaranteed jobs afterward. Many workers appeared to find the presentation alarming, even though strikes are rare in the industry and replacing production workers could be difficult"...........
I'm actually OK with replacing workers who walk out.
Nissan pays pretty well and everyone knows it. Replacing workers who are absent without cause would not be that difficult.

That's the difficult thing about unions. Walk out and you may not be allowed back; refuse to walk out and you will be punished by the rest of the work force. Your life can be pretty miserable. I saw that happen with the IBEW in the telephone industry.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:16 AM

4,324 posts, read 1,787,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
It's not the lack of a union.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Union jobs always pay more and you are much more secure from the whims of management. Its really a shame so many would rather trade away there power to the employer.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:25 PM

442 posts, read 526,626 times
I've never belonged to a union, but my husband did and the advantages were great. On the other hand, I can see why fledgeling businesses in the making would see labor unions as a form of extortion.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
I've never belonged to a union, but my husband did and the advantages were great. On the other hand, I can see why fledgeling businesses in the making would see labor unions as a form of extortion.
Aww those poor business owners can't get away with paying low wages

Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,344,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Aww those poor business owners can't get away with paying low wages
Is Colorado a right-to-work state?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is Colorado a right-to-work state?
Yes sadly organized labor is very weak in Colorado.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:23 PM

631 posts, read 628,839 times
Mississippi in the running for new auto plant

And with the vote not to unionize by Nissan employs, this was announced three days after. Coincidence i think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or