Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:27 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times

Advertisements

I don't think Oxford and Starkville are much different from each other. Both are small towns.

Google maps indicates it is 1 hour 22 minutes to downtown Memphis from Oxford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 09:46 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,058 times
NOT from Mississippi, but I personally find Oxford MUCH more appealing as a city than Starkville. (Yes, I have been to both!) It just seems prettier and more "genteel" to me. That said, I know NOTHING about the academic offerings of either institution; I'm a proud UGA alum! ;0)

Old 10-11-2017, 07:53 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
Ole Miss is better for international studies due to the Croft Institute: The Croft Institute | Croft Institute for International Studies at the University of Mississippi. Ole Miss is the Flagship University and more widely known outside the state, but that alone is not a good reason to choose OM.

Oxford and Starkville are both smaller towns, but still quite different. Oxford has a lot more options in terms of cultural, dining, shopping, and other things to do and see, and is not as rural and isolated from other spots like Starkville. Memphis is just about an hour away from Oxford. Starkville is not really close to any other major city.

The MS/AL line guy is really throwing some NCAA shade in this post? MSU has been on probation with the NCAA more than Ole Miss, but it's really totally irrelevant so that's all that needs to be said. (UNC had similar (actually much worse) stuff with the NCAA and that wouldn't dissuade me from going there.) Also, I doubt MSU has more people "from all over." MSU has a lot more in-state students and Ole Miss has a lot more out-of-state students. Also, business information systems is basically IT and not related to international studies at all. If you were doing BIS, it is probably more even or an edge to MSU, but you aren't. He is confusing BIS with international studies for some reason.

I'm curious why these are your choices though? I don't think either would be particularly great for international studies. If you are confined to a MS school, though, and want to do international studies, then Ole Miss is the way to go.
LOL, spoken like a true dyed in the wool rebel right there.

I would encourage the OP to visit both, and then we can revisit this.

Speaking of NCAA shade, if the rumors that are circling now are true, Ole Miss may very well not even have a football program in a few years.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:02 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I don't think Oxford and Starkville are much different from each other. Both are small towns.

Google maps indicates it is 1 hour 22 minutes to downtown Memphis from Oxford.
Good grief. You do know that there's more to Memphis than just downtown, right? And downtown Memphis is nowhere near the middle of the city.

For international studies, I would choose Ole Miss over State every day of the week and twice on Sundays. For starters, State doesn't even offer a degree in international studies, just a minor, whereas Ole Miss has en entire department and building dedicated to just international studies. In addition, Oxford is an infinitely more interesting experience than Starkville: better restaurants, better shopping, much more attractive city core, much more well known outside of the state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8FWmu0rAAc

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
From my standpoint, I would minor in international studies and major in a traditional discipline. I think that is how MSU is looking at it as well.

I think MSU has a better reputation for engineering and other STEM programs, and it has a presence at Stennis Space Center in south Mississippi. I interviewed at Stennis and several of the people that I met went to MSU. I also worked with several engineers from MSU at the Department of Energy's Savannah River Site in Aiken SC, including an Indian who said he was able to attend MSU at low cost as an immigrant. This Indian is one of the smartest people that I've met so his gushing over MSU stuck with me.

It looks like MSU has the only architecture program in Miss if the architecture university list on Wikipedia is accurate.

In my view, you can't really go wrong attending any large 'flagship' or landgrant university in this country, and can have a good time at all of them.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-12-2017 at 07:12 PM..

Old 10-21-2017, 11:06 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
That's for instate tuition. The original poster is from Michigan so will be paying out of state tuition.

Non-resident cost of attendance at Ole Miss is $40,076.

Resident cost at his home state's flagship is $28,776. At Michigan State it is $24,542

So, yes, for the original poster Ole Miss will be pretty costly.

OP, the University of Michigan has an outstanding International Studies department. If you can get in there, it would be unwise to pay substantially more for another state's public university. MSU would also be a good choice. It's likely that you'll need to do graduate study in the field at some point, and saving $40,000+ on your undergrad education will make that easier to do.

Good luck with your college plans!

Old 10-23-2017, 08:37 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,889,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
For starters, State doesn't even offer a degree in international studies, just a minor, whereas Ole Miss has en entire department and building dedicated to just international
Not that I care enough to look it up, but at last Saturday's game, one of the MSU homecoming maids was introduced as an "International Studies" major (or was it International Business?).

For public universities in the 'Sip these type degree programs seem somewhat unneeded -- if you desire to go into some type of international bid'niss, you likely need to aim much higher than State or Ole Miss. Both equally mediocre in the grand scheme of higher education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi