Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:12 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times

Advertisements

Tupelo
Southaven
Olive Branch
Hattiesburg
Vicksburg
Starkville
Columbus
Gulfport
Biloxi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 02:50 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Tupelo
Southaven
Olive Branch
Hattiesburg
Vicksburg
Starkville
Columbus
Gulfport
Biloxi
Would add:
New Albany
Oxford
BSL
OS
Madison
Brandon
Brookhaven

Would remove:
Columbus and
Vicksburg

Old 09-14-2017, 05:46 PM

1,257 posts, read 887,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Would add:
New Albany
Oxford
BSL
OS
Madison
Brandon
Brookhaven

Would remove:
Columbus and
Vicksburg

I live in BSL and have very strong opinions about it. Please share what you think they are doing right here.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:41 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Would add:
New Albany
Oxford
BSL
OS
Madison
Brandon
Brookhaven

Would remove:
Columbus and
Vicksburg
I would keep Columbus ( First public school in the State , First college/university for women, & Birthplace of Memorial Day) & Vicksburg.

Remove:
New Albany
BSL
Brookhaven
Brandom

Old 11-08-2017, 02:36 PM

63 posts, read 68,366 times
I would say Greenwood ...not just because it's in the Delta and "the Help" was filmed there... it's the remarkable renewal going on downtown...give it another 10 years... and you won't recognize it. LOVE THE ALUVIAN

Old 11-08-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedhusbands View Post
I would say Greenwood ...not just because it's in the Delta and "the Help" was filmed there... it's the remarkable renewal going on downtown...give it another 10 years... and you won't recognize it. LOVE THE ALUVIAN
Interesting, I'm orignally from the area and have many family and friends there; they are not optimistic. Hoepfully, it will turn around! Most think it is doomed since Fred Carl sold Viking and the new compmay doesn't seem to care about the community. I know Fred has some other irons in the fire, I hope they pan out.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:53 PM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedhusbands View Post
I just moved from there a few days ago and I can tell you nobody asked for what the mayor did to downtown. That money could have been spend else where.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:54 PM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
Quote:
Interesting, I'm orignally from the area and have many family and friends there; they are not optimistic. Hoepfully, it will turn around! Most think it is doomed since Fred Carl sold Viking and the new compmay doesn't seem to care about the community. I know Fred has some other irons in the fire, I hope they pan out.
Fred doesn't even live in Greenwood anymore. He mostly lives in Florida.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Fred doesn't even live in Greenwood anymore. He mostly lives in Florida.
That's bad news. He was Greenwood's last hope. At one time wasn't he was tried to get a "Katrina Cottage" manufacturing facility off the ground?

Old 11-11-2017, 09:41 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
I've said plenty about what I don't like about Mississippi ... now I want to turn the tables.
Which cities should be celebrated? Who is working hard to give Mississippi a good name and reputation?
Who is beautiful? Clean? Strong economy? Good jobs? Good / upscale shopping, dining and grocery? Lots to do? Family friendly? Safe / low crime?

Say what you love about it and give people a reason to visit!

I'll start:

Ocean Springs - Beautiful historical downtown, good variety for dining, upscale feel overall
We're all doing the best we can.

It's sometimes a little hard to believe, I think, but at the core it's true. Is it really a city's fault that the city is not pretty and does not offer good jobs? Has the city done something wrong by being located far from the freeway and in the middle of pulp-wood producing country?

And most of all.... does that make the citizens of that city less worthwhile than the citizens of Madison?
I really don't think so.
Am I supposed to shun certain areas because they don't have "Good / upscale shopping, dining and grocery"?
I take issue with individuals - not zip codes. You want a reason to visit? Speaking as one who has been in 49 states and lived in 8, I can tell you that the reason to visit every corner of every state lies in the residents of those various corners. It's a fact that some people are more worth your time than others; but it's also a fact that the most worthwhile people are not necessarily found in the most beautiful cities - not in Mississippi, not in Texas, not in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi