U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:13 PM

986 posts, read 606,956 times

Advertisements

I visit Meridian for the holidays. I've enjoyed myself and agree mostly with OP points on the good/bad. They just started to work on the Threefoot building and i guess by 2019/20 it will be a functioning hotel. The core downtown area gives off a bigger city vibe yet other sections retain that small town business architecture. Drove around and got lost in the northern section for abit and even rode through a few hoods. I remember seeing those projects called Highway Village and those ones next to the police department. Enjoyed the Art Museum as well. Interesting sprawled out city that will visit again in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 07:40 AM

183 posts, read 129,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
The rumor is, many leaders of Meridian worked very hard to keep competition out, and thus stifled the economy. I can't confirm or deny any of that, but it certainly seems like the city has great bones and could be doing a lot better. I hear they just opened a museum there. I always thought Mississippi State should have been located there, with a satellite campus in Starkville/black prairie soil area (opposite of what it is now), but that's neither here nor there, and all in the past.

You say you spend time in Demopolis and Baton Rouge. Meridian has the same demographic as those areas. Funny how somehow you are inferring a small town in Alabama, and Baton Rouge, do not have segregation issues but Meridian might? It's the South, bro, take it for however you want, whatever viewpoint you want.

Well, let me clarify: I'm FROM the South, but there is a difference between a Rose City/Vidor TX situation and just a simple Lafayette, LA situation...Segregation because some neighborhoods are HISTORICALLY a certain demographic is totally different from "GFTOH, you N*gg*ers!" (e.g. Sulphur, LA/Vidor,TX)

Baton Rouge is rated number 2 of the country's most segregated cities but that doesn't actually MEAN it's horrible. I live here and like it...I wasn't inferring anything about Demopolis having race relations issues, because I only went to see the plantations and left, so I wouldn't know anyhow.

What did Meridian city leaders have to gain from keeping businesses out? It obviously seems to have somehow backfired, which is what I'm understanding from your response.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:36 PM

977 posts, read 595,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patois View Post
Well, let me clarify: I'm FROM the South, but there is a difference between a Rose City/Vidor TX situation and just a simple Lafayette, LA situation...Segregation because some neighborhoods are HISTORICALLY a certain demographic is totally different from "GFTOH, you N*gg*ers!" (e.g. Sulphur, LA/Vidor,TX)
Meridian is 60% black with a black mayor so the whites wouldn't be racist even if they wanted to be.

Quote:
What did Meridian city leaders have to gain from keeping businesses out? It obviously seems to have somehow backfired, which is what I'm understanding from your response.
Power. That is what they all want. They want to be the most powerful, most influential person around. And yeah, it backfired. Meridian could have had unlimited growth throughout the past few decades.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:11 PM

183 posts, read 129,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Meridian is 60% black with a black mayor so the whites wouldn't be racist even if they wanted to be.

Power. That is what they all want. They want to be the most powerful, most influential person around. And yeah, it backfired. Meridian could have had unlimited growth throughout the past few decades.
Unlimited growth? I think the region could benefit from another larger city...technically , Jackson and Vicksburg are all Mississippi has for decently-sized towns. A black mayor ?? Whoa! Then I guess I can't believe everything I read on the internet...I was reading that blacks could only go out to shop at a certain time of the day and that the schools are just as bad. I should have known it was a troll that generated the stories

Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Unlimited growth? I think the region could benefit from another larger city...technically , Jackson and Vicksburg are all Mississippi has for decently-sized towns.
Meridian has great logistics. Then you have the Naval Air Station. That is what has kept the city viable. Imagine what they could do with good leadership?

Quote:
Then I guess I can't believe everything I read on the internet
That would be advisable.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:23 AM

9,471 posts, read 9,344,483 times
Meridian also has Peavey Electronics.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:25 PM

631 posts, read 628,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Meridian also has Peavey Electronics.
Peavey headquarters are there but they don't manufacture anything. They moved all their production to China.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Peavey headquarters are there but they don't manufacture anything. They moved all their production to China.
Any chance they bring that back under the Trump Administration? That would be a shot in the arm to the town.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:34 PM

806 posts, read 770,237 times
For years it was rumored that Hartley Peavey worked to keep large employers out of the area in order to keep wages down.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
For years it was rumored that Hartley Peavey worked to keep large employers out of the area in order to keep wages down.
I alluded to that in my previous post, since I don't know any facts, but yeah, I have heard that too. It could be totally false, I really do not know.

What I do know is that Meridian should be doing MUCH better than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi