Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:41 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
You people are typical Republicans.
Thank you! We take great pride in our ability to think clearly and recognize that more government aid is not always the answer.

California must be the home of typical Democrats. In California, the state is being sued because their students cannot read.
Quote:
.......Of the 179 students who were tested in a recent English assessment, fewer than 10 scored high enough to meet state-established standards.
California schools fail to teach children to read or write, suit says - SFGate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 07:46 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
There are some very good public schools in many of the other states, especially in the smaller cities and towns and suburbs of large cities thru out the Midwest. I don't see how so many families are able to afford to send their children to private schools, especially families who have several children in private schools. When I was in school in the late 60's and early 70's I didn't know anybody who went to a private school. There is no way my parents would have paid thousands of dollars to send their children to private schools. For one reason, my family didn't have that kind of money, and for another reason, we got a perfectly good enough education in the Muncie, Indiana public schools to justify paying for a private education.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 12-05-2017 at 07:56 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 09:41 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Thank you! We take great pride in our ability to think clearly and recognize that more government aid is not always the answer.

California must be the home of typical Democrats. In California, the state is being sued because their students cannot read.

Yep. Because everybody knows very little innovation comes out of California.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:44 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

But think of all of the innovation that comes out of California.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Yep. Because everybody knows very little innovation comes out of California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
But think of all of the innovation that comes out of California.
True! And all that is great!

But California spends a little over $10,000 per student and achieves little more than Mississippi. That should tell us (you and me) something. And if that fact tells us nothing, perhaps the recognition that Washington DC pays $18,000 per student and accomplishes even less than either state will give us a clue.

My position is, more money does not equate to a better education. The first problem in Mississippi is the education system in Mississippi which does not focus on education. And the second - and most difficult - problem is parents who see no value in education.

I stand by my position that the educational system has enough money. They do not do a good job, but it is not because they cannot afford to.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:49 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
More money in my school's budget would have provided me with a projector to replace the one that was failing. Almost all you could see was speckles. Instead, after four months of asking, I went to Sam's last weekend and bought a printer so that my students could have a standard quality lesson in my class. So the state of Mississippi saved the nearly $400 it cost me to take from my family's Christmas fund to fund the needs of Mississippi children.

Don't tell me that more money won't make a difference. I know too many Mississippi teachers who don't even have working computers in their rooms. And don't even mention trying to make copies.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:03 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
More money in my school's budget would have provided me with a projector to replace the one that was failing. Almost all you could see was speckles. Instead, after four months of asking, I went to Sam's last weekend and bought a printer so that my students could have a standard quality lesson in my class. So the state of Mississippi saved the nearly $400 it cost me to take from my family's Christmas fund to fund the needs of Mississippi children.

Don't tell me that more money won't make a difference. I know too many Mississippi teachers who don't even have working computers in their rooms. And don't even mention trying to make copies.

Merry Christmas.
If the money went to teachers and directly to classroom uses, everyone would be good with it.

How many assistant principles do most schools have? How many people unnecessary positions in the District Office? Especially in failing districts.

Jackson Jambalaya: A Tale of Two School Districts

Old 12-06-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Merry Christmas.
It's a terrible situation.

And yet my own grandson, who is a teacher in Mississippi, is paid a 20% premium above his base salary for coaching 9th grade football. And he is the lowest paid of the coaches.

His actual teaching job? Math. He has failing students, but has had no time to work with them.

There is money, but your school is wasting it. Perhaps the State Superintendent of Education would be willing to contribute a portion of her $300,000/year salary.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:16 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:

Merry Christmas.
I just noticed my mistake. Not printer---PROJECTOR. Oops!

Old 12-08-2017, 10:17 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
I recall watching a Youtube channel Infographics and they did a segment on Public v Private School. Generally majority of Americans attend public schools than private yet some of those private school graduates enrolls in public colleges.

It made thought of a comment a poster said in here, sending your child through private school just for them to wind up at MSU or Ole Miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi