Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,487,716 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if you guys eat other typical Southern fare:

Biscuits with milk gravy made with the drippings from the breakfast meat (bacon, sausage, ham - whatever). Also biscuits with "red-eye" gravy.
Pinto beans with hamhock
Blackeyed peas with hamhock
Chicken friend steak with mashed potatoes and milk gravy.
Goulash (basically chili mac)
Corn bread (of course)
Chocolate Gravy (kind of like a hot chocolate pudding type sauce to pour over buttered biscuits)
Pineapple upside down cake
Blackberry cobbler
Custard pie

Mom's from Oklahoma, but her mom was from Arkansas and her grandmother from Itawamba (love that word) County Mississippi. I figured some of the recipes must have traveled with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 08:25 PM

205 posts, read 248,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post

Biscuits with milk gravy made with the drippings from the breakfast meat (bacon, sausage, ham - whatever). Also biscuits with "red-eye" gravy.
Pinto beans with hamhock
Corn bread (of course)
Chocolate Gravy (kind of like a hot chocolate pudding type sauce to pour over buttered biscuits)
Blackberry cobbler
Custard pie

Mom's from Oklahoma, but her mom was from Arkansas and her grandmother from Itawamba (love that word) County Mississippi. I figured some of the recipes must have traveled with them.
My family had all of that, except for the Chocolate Gravy, the goulash or chili mac, and the pinto beans, in Jackson when I was younger (my mom grew up in South Mississippi.)

Chocolate Gravy sound like it would be more from far Northeast MS (which is where Itawamba County may be found) than from South Mississippi or the Delta, and it may be Appalachian in origin.

Goulash might be Hungarian in origin, although if your version is like Chili-Mac, which I've only had in Texas, it may not be very common in Mississippi.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:05 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,007,751 times
People who don't know any better apply the term "blackeyed peas" to all types of field peas when in fact they are just one variety of many and probably the least desirable one. Purple hulls are probably the most common. Butterbeans, cornbread and buttermilk would have been a typical basic meal in rural Mississippi in years past and maybe still.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:08 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,007,751 times
Dewberries grow wild but I don't think I have ever seen them for sale. They are closely related to blackberries but grow on a vine that runs along the ground rather than on an erect stalk like a blackberry. Most people that are familiar with them prefer them to blackberries.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:53 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,487,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
People who don't know any better apply the term "blackeyed peas" to all types of field peas when in fact they are just one variety of many and probably the least desirable one. Purple hulls are probably the most common. Butterbeans, cornbread and buttermilk would have been a typical basic meal in rural Mississippi in years past and maybe still.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-eyed_pea

That's a black-eyed pea. "Desirable" or not I love them. Dad raised purple hulls as well in our garden (along with peanuts and okra - the San Joaquin Valley will grow almost anything). We usually had the green pod black eyed peas though because mom liked them better for canning (she'd snap up some of the pods to mix in with the beans in the jars). We didn't dry them and she never bought them dried in the store. We also ate white (navy) beans, butter beans (Lima), pink beans and black beans. "Don't know any better"... please. Okies eat any kind of beans.

Last edited by BeauCharles; 01-13-2018 at 03:11 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 07:26 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,872,570 times
The two posters above are correct. We actually grew pinkeye purple hull peas, instead of blackeyed peas. I am assuming the term "blackeyed pea" is more appealing than "pinkeye" or "pinkeye purple hull." Both are occasionally called field peas or cowpeas also. I generally refer to both as blackeyed peas.

The same with dewberries and blackberries. Dewberries may actually be more common in parts of the 'Sip. They are larger and produce before blackberries. An easy way to tell them apart, dewberries make one berry per stalk, whereas blackberries produce several berries in a bunch. I refer to both as blackberries.

Dad was an (MSU educated) old-school farmer and insisted on calling fruits and vegetables by their correct names, most of us don't do that though.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:39 AM

3,754 posts, read 5,829,934 times
While spending the night in Vicksburg this last fall, we stumbled onto a "humble" place south of town that had the best fried green tomatoes. Are they not part of the Miss. tradition ? No one has mentioned those.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:37 PM

12,798 posts, read 9,306,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post

Pinto beans with hamhock
Corn bread (of course)
Blackberry cobbler
Custard pie

Itawamba is pronounced "Attawamba" by the natives.

I've eaten most of those items on your list except for some of the seasonings. Never had goulash though, nor chocolate gravy (doesn't sound very appetizing).

I grew up in Meridian, and there was a restaurant called the Davis Grill in the middle of downtown. As I recall, it was in the shadow of the Threefoot building. Their specialty was a chicksteak sandwich ... just like a hamburger except for the meat (it was breaded and fried). Delicious, but I have no idea what was in it ... and probably don't want to know.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:38 PM

12,798 posts, read 9,306,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
While spending the night in Vicksburg this last fall, we stumbled onto a "humble" place south of town that had the best fried green tomatoes. Are they not part of the Miss. tradition ? No one has mentioned those.
They are indeed, but I never developed a taste for them. They taste bitter to me ... tomatoes are supposed to be ripe and red.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:34 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,407,977 times
Supposedly, fried green tomatoes were invented at the Hollywood Cafe, now near Tunica:

https://www.thehollywoodcafe.com/

However, the origin may be a little different, in that fried green tomatoes were served in Los Angeles in the 1920s and some people think that it might be a Jewish dish from the Northeast.

I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned hot tamales...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi