U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2018, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,228 posts, read 4,188,603 times
Reputation: 11585

Advertisements

UPDATE: 1 dead, 1 arrested in Starkville Walmart shooting

Previously, it is alleged, the shooter was involved in a standoff in Madison County.

This brilliantly-worded article (Madison County standoff ends peacefully - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS) includes the following tidbits:
"We don't won't anybody in harms way. I would rather be overly cautious than have a citizen injured or hurt," says Tucker. ...
...Residents say Harvey Crossing is normally a quite neighborhood. ...
...Beau Crabtree lives just a few houses down from the standoff. He says deputies have been to Chisholm's house before but he has never been fearful of the man.
"Last week, you know, we didn't really know what was going on, but plumes of smoke last week from him burning stuff but we never expected this," recalled Crabtree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2018, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
977 posts, read 596,564 times
Reputation: 1422
Obviously a domestic dispute, but it highlights something that not many people want to hear about - men's problems/issues.

The feminist movement has done a number on the modern man, and there is no help in sight. Men are also not being taught how to be a true man anymore at home, due to a 'stronger' female frame thoughout the world, with more supplicating husbands.

It's pretty sickening all the way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Washington state
5,360 posts, read 2,724,371 times
Reputation: 16028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Obviously a domestic dispute, but it highlights something that not many people want to hear about - men's problems/issues.

The feminist movement has done a number on the modern man, and there is no help in sight. Men are also not being taught how to be a true man anymore at home, due to a 'stronger' female frame thoughout the world, with more supplicating husbands.

It's pretty sickening all the way around.
Being a man is like having religion. You either have it inside you or you don't have it at all and if you have it inside you, nothing should be able to touch it.

Basically what you're saying is strong women are making men weaker. So in order for you to be strong man, the only way to do it is to make women weaker? Maybe you should ask yourself why, as a man, can you not feel like a man unless you have to be surrounded by weak women? Because if you are truly a man, then you will be a man no matter where you are and who you are around.

Being a strong man means being decent, caring and respectful of others. It means taking responsibility and not running off when times get hard. It means doing what's right, even when it's difficult. In short, being a strong man is simply being a good person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
977 posts, read 596,564 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Being a man is like having religion. You either have it inside you or you don't have it at all and if you have it inside you, nothing should be able to touch it.
Absolutely FALSE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Basically what you're saying is strong women are making men weaker. So in order for you to be strong man, the only way to do it is to make women weaker? Maybe you should ask yourself why, as a man, can you not feel like a man unless you have to be surrounded by weak women? Because if you are truly a man, then you will be a man no matter where you are and who you are around.
LOL. I never said this, but this is a typical liberal tactic - shaming the credibility of the opponent. Anyways, moving on to the rest of the content of what I quoted, a strong woman is not what a feminist calls it. No point in moving this forward, we should simply agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Being a strong man means being decent, caring and respectful of others. It means taking responsibility and not running off when times get hard. It means doing what's right, even when it's difficult. In short, being a strong man is simply being a good person.
No, that is what makes a decent person in general.

Being a positively masculine man is having purpose, being sure of yourself, and being a leader.

Your original point highlights one thing that is truly terrifying about some people these days, and their thoughts about men. That is, if they aren't super alpha, or have a low point, etc.....they are simply worthless and should be destroyed. VERY scary.

I really think you should look yourself in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Canton
19 posts, read 11,790 times
Reputation: 58
I don't think it has anything to do with any of that...

This man has anger issues, as witnessed by his previous interactions with the law in an armed 4 hour standoff.

Whatever personal demons haunted him at that time, they still do. He should have still been in prison and/or heavily and constantly monitored as a result of that serious lapse of judgement.

And who, (KNOWING this is his background), gets involved with someone like this?

I don't understand it. I really don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Washington state
5,360 posts, read 2,724,371 times
Reputation: 16028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Absolutely FALSE.
So men always need a crutch to be a strong man, then? Well, I guess we're different. I'm a strong person. I can take whatever the world throws at me, and I carry that strength inside me all the time, not just when someone weaker is around me.

Quote:
LOL. I never said this, but this is a typical liberal tactic - shaming the credibility of the opponent. Anyways, moving on to the rest of the content of what I quoted, a strong woman is not what a feminist calls it. No point in moving this forward, we should simply agree to disagree.
It might not be what you meant, but it sure sounded like that. And by the way, why does a strong woman have to be a feminist? Not all women are strong and not all women are feminists and not all strong women are feminists and not all feminists are strong - or women, either, for that matter. Feminism is an idea, not a thing.
Quote:


No, that is what makes a decent person in general.

Being a positively masculine man is having purpose, being sure of yourself, and being a leader.
Your original point highlights one thing that is truly terrifying about some people these days, and their thoughts about men. That is, if they aren't super alpha, or have a low point, etc.....they are simply worthless and should be destroyed. VERY scary.

I really think you should look yourself in the mirror.
Which is exactly the point I was trying to make and what I said.

But then you say "Being a positively masculine man is having purpose, being sure of yourself, and being a leader." But having purpose and being sure of yourself are qualities any person, male or female, should have. And being a leader is not always necessary for a man to be a positively masculine man. You don't always have to be in the spotlight and yelling "CHARGE" to be a man. Some of the most respected men I know live alone in the shadows and stay alive by their wits. And they are truly the definition of men.

You're confusing me with your statement about super alpha men. I personally don't like super alpha men because so many of them seldom think of anyone but themselves, kind of like most super beautiful women. And I certainly don't think if a man isn't an alpha male he should be destroyed - where are you getting that from? As for low points, everyone is human and no one is perfect, so everyone does have a low point or two. The man (or woman) who says he hasn't is lying.

I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree on the description of a strong woman. In my mind, a strong woman is someone who, if anyone (male or female) attempts to bully her, will say no, and also stand up for herself against people who try to bring her down. But then, that's the definition of a strong man, too. Or, if you will, the definition of a strong person, actually.

And I think I've hijacked this thread enough. Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2018, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
977 posts, read 596,564 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So men always need a crutch to be a strong man, then? Well, I guess we're different. I'm a strong person. I can take whatever the world throws at me, and I carry that strength inside me all the time, not just when someone weaker is around me.
All people need crutches.

All people can be strong, or weak. Your strength is directly correlated to what you practice each and every day, and what you choose to believe about yourself. Strength doesn't just happen.

Some people are naturally stronger than others. That's life.

I agree about living on wits. Wits are a big part of being a man.

As far as being a leader, you don't always have to lead other people, but you have to be the leader of your life. Men and women were meant compliment each other, not compete with one another.

As far as you being strong, that's great. I hope you use your strength for good purposes. But I guarantee you this, there will come a day when you'll need something more than yourself. If that hasn't happened yet, live longer, it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2018, 02:46 PM
 
806 posts, read 770,551 times
Reputation: 1521
There was a point when American society policed itself, for better for worse, those days are long gone. Call someone out for acting crazy, you'd be labeled racist, homophobic, sexist, unsympathetic to mental illness, etc. Now people keep to themselves, for the worse of all in my opinion.

Up to the 80s, people would be embarrassed to use food stamps (and do everything to get off them), now they brag about it. We've certainly gone too far in the acceptance of poor behavior category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2018, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
3,958 posts, read 2,091,066 times
Reputation: 3707
First, about the OP.

This guy clearly was a very disturbed individual, masculine or not. Why didn't the police simply arrest him in Madison? Then the Starkville tragedy wouldn't have happened.

As for the manliness bit....

I find the whole popular notion of "manliness" meaningless - it contradicts itself on too many points for me to take seriously. If a man's supposed to be in control and dominate a situation, then Gandhi and the Dail Lama should be praised to the skies for being more of a "real man" than any videogenic "Alpha Males" who are pros at projecting the "right image". Yet, this is precisely what we rarely - if ever - find.

If a "real man" is someone with his own opinions, then what about the most sexually desirable 5% of males (presumably having considerable social clout, within their own buddy clique if nowhere else) who would be scared ****less to wear anything even moderately "sissy" or "emo" or whatever because they are afraid others will think them unmanly? Ditto for expressing non-conformist beliefs. How can that be anything but being afraid to go against the wishes of people with lower social pecking order rank? Again, this would not occur to many, if not most, people.

If a real man is someone who tries to make the world a better place, then why consider the stereotypical cocky d-bag (which you can find at pretty much any club, bar, or pub) more manly simply because he's great with picking up women and winning fights -- than the 5"5' 120 pound guy who donates his free time to Habitat for Humanity or likewise is a Big Brother to an underprivileged child? Yet another factor the popular definition of manliness fails to account for.

I have plenty more examples, but I think you get the picture.

Hence, I find the whole popular notion of "real man" based on superficial appeal at best and frankly nonsensical at worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2018, 04:10 PM
 
12,169 posts, read 18,325,229 times
Reputation: 18882
What am I missing here? Link leads to very brief update which appears to be:
-domestic dispute leading to murder
-textbook suicide by cop attempt
Nothing new.

What's prompting this psyche-pop debate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:20 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top