U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2018, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 746 times

Advertisements

Does anyone out there commute from Madison to Vicksburg? Where would you recommend buying a home to have the least stressful/quickest/safest commute? Is there a particular time of morning that is best to leave the area? I have children who will be attending middle school and high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 03:35 PM

631 posts, read 628,455 times
The commute would only take an hour or a little over. Between the two I would definitely pick Madison over Vicksburg

Old 01-19-2018, 04:25 PM

806 posts, read 769,716 times
I'm sure madison2013 will be along to give you the best answer, but I'll give it my best shot.

If you live in Madison proper, take the Trace to Clinton then hit I55 (speed limit is 50 on the Trace and they're pretty serious about it).

Some people claim I220 is dangerous and refuse to travel on it. I have friends who to claim they to have had cars pull alongside with the occupants pointing handguns at them. Personally, I've never had an issue on I220, but I don't travel it much either.

I often meet buddies who live in Gluckstadt and we will travel to Vicksburg, we always take the "back roads" of Hwy 22 through Flora and get on I55 at Edwards. Hwy 22 is narrow and curvy in some spots.

If you live in Madison proper, your kids will likely go to Madison Central, which is somewhat conducive to taking the Trace. If you live in Gluckstadt, your kids will go to Germantown, which is north closer to Canton, so you may get caught up in seemingly endless carpool loops. Wherever you buy, make sure you check out where the school is located in relation to your commute to Vicksburg. The two-lane roads in Gluckstadt fill up quickly during morning commute/school time.

Anyway you get to Vicksburg, it will be an hour commute in light traffic, adding commute traffic/carpool to that can significantly increase the time.

There are several hot neighborhoods on the west side of I55 in Gluckstadt (people call this Madison also). Don't buy east of I55. Madison Central and Germantown are both fine schools and I would be comfortable with either, make sure you don't buy in Canton or Ridgeland Schools.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:09 AM

13 posts, read 19,386 times
I agree about not buying a home in Cantons school district, but Ridgeland is fine.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:34 PM

631 posts, read 628,455 times
Ridgeland has good schools.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:41 AM

3,228 posts, read 4,187,019 times
Madison has the only public schools desirable enough, to justify over an over-fifty-mile drive (one way).

Let's keep that number of miles rounded-down to fifty. Round trip, that's a hundred miles. And let's round-down your commuting cost to fifty Cents per mile. That's FIFTY DOLLARS PER DAY, a minimum of five days per week, that you're commuting: $250.00 per week. Multiplied by a realistic fifty weeks per-year - $12,500.00 per year, in EXTRA commuting costs (assuming you can find something within a few miles of your Vicksburg workplace).

It looks like you have a choice between Protestant and Catholic private schools, in Vicksburg. I'm going to assume a cost of six thousand Dollars per child, per year (based on the Mississippi averages I've just seen online).

Essentially, it will cost the same, to have two kids in a Vicksburg parochial school, that it would cost for you to commute to Madison.

The only viable route, is to take the Natchez trace from Madison/Ridgeland to Clinton, and then on to Vicksburg. And the Trace is not without its problems. The posted speed is 50. But there are lots of totally desperate and utterly stupid people, who will INSIST that you drive as fast as THEY need to go, on that NARROW PARKWAY, not designed for high speeds.

The Park Police do not take a kind view of speeders. And then, there are the DEER (and now, maybe, ZOMBIE DEER: http://www.wapt.com/article/mississi...sease/16870109). Swerving to avoid one, will put you right in the path of an oncoming vehicle, or careening off a shoulder not designed for fast driving, and into a TREE. It's a parkway... lots of trees...

Not even a Volvo could save this Trace commuter: Teen identified in Natchez Trace deadly crash attended Ridgeland

Here, someone tried to pass, with serious consequences: Six people injured in Natchez Trace Pkwy crash - Mississippi News Now - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

This video describes the situation pretty well: Increasing patrol along the Natchez Trace Parkway | Mississippi Another report I saw, cited the stretch of Trace you'd be taking, as the most dangerous segment on the entire 444-mile-long parkway.

Many of the drivers are headed to work at Nissan, and are DESPERATE to not lose their high-paying factory jobs. They risk their lives, and yours, to get to work on-time. So, whether or not YOU choose to commute at a lawful and safe speed, is irrelevant, because there are people with room-temperature IQs, behind you, FORCING YOU to speed (because they want to keep their once-in-a-lifetime assembly line jobs, at wages not normally available to people with their limited abilities). Some of these, are violent, stupid people, who think they have the RIGHT to force you to speed up, and whose only reasons for not escalating beyond tailgating - into RAMMING your vehicle (or shooting at you: Police identify man shot to death in car on I-220 - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS), is the possibility of damage to their own cars, or getting caught. Thank heavens for cell phones and car cams. There's no-telling what they might do, on a deserted Trace, late at night, if you're not speeding enough to suit them.

I220 is even WORSE, with drivers totally out-of-control, and no margin for error, as there are sharp drop-offs to your right, and HOOPTIE-SHREDDERS (steel cables to prevent hoopties from crossing the median) to your left. The insanely-high speed limit for I220, makes the situation even more deadly. Here, I220 is discussed by locals: Jackson Jambalaya: Madison Subway robbed Those guys are not exaggerating one bit. It really is that bad.

And taking the much-longer Interstate THROUGH Jackson (I55 South, and then I20), is equally problematic, since it involves notorious "Waterworks Curve", and then dilapidated stretches of I20 running through problem-infested South Jackson.

Yes, Madison has an abundance of the best that Mississippi has to offer. It's a little gold-plated lifeboat, and sometimes, at night, you feel as if you were in a billionaires-only resort, tucked into a hidden valley, high in the Andes - completely removed from the problems of the world. Madison's parking lots are prettier than most of the parks in the rest of that state. And the backs of the retail buildings, are prettier than most of the storeFRONTS on Beverly Hills' Rodeo Drive. Many of the women, have never fried a thing in their lives, and are within ounces of their ideal weight. Most of those women have advanced degrees, and active careers, in addition to having done everything near-perfectly, all their lives. The men, mostly just make money, to pay their part, for the private schools, the six-figure SUVs, the trips to Bora Bora (which must be FULL of Mississippians), the trips to Vail (Aspen's "too sleazy") the hulking Madison dream-homes (https://www.berkshirehathawayhs.com/...9110-222497682), the condo at college for the kids (https://livehighlandsquare.com/), the NYC condo for the kids' internships, the plastic surgeons, the sports clinics for the kids, the lessons, the activities...

But all that relative Heaven, is not worth two hours of dangerous commuting, every day. You could be spending that time at the gym - or sleeping - or getting ahead in your workplace (or all three). Don't wear yourself out, and waste thousands of Dollars per year, on an idiotic commute. There are lovely, safe neighborhoods in Vicksburg, and perfectly-nice private schools. The twelve thou you save, living where you work, will pay for the neighborhood upgrade and the schooling.

Yes, it's noble to sacrifice your own well-being (aging faster, becoming unemployable faster, and probably developing cancer or dementia faster, due to the stress - assuming you don't die or become disabled during that long commute) for the sake of your kids. But a live provider is better than a dead provider - or a burned-out and exhausted provider developing chronic conditions from stress and lack of exercise.

There are limits to what you can do, and limits to what you should be expected to do.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-11-2018 at 12:31 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 02:15 PM

806 posts, read 769,716 times
Some good points made by GG, but I'll throw in some contrary opinions. I know several people who work in Vicksburg, but live in Madison and Clinton. Think of nights and weekends, youth sports, going out to eat, quality of life, shopping etc, all this points to Madison. The short jaunt on the trace is not nearly as treacherous as described above, it is a very busy thoroughfare (self-absorbed cyclists are the biggest problem).

Not sure about private school tuition in Vicksburg (I imagine they have mostly parochial schools), but tuition at Prep, JA and St Andrews is north of $12k I believe, plus they nickel and dime you to death.

I wouldn't hesitate to trade a very easy (mostly four lane, good roads, low traffic) hour commute to live in Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or