Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 05:13 PM

5 posts, read 21,314 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone
Please provide any input that you may have on Columbus, MS including where to live,where not to live, good schools, bad schools & etc. I have an elementary schooler and high schooler. I may be relocating there next year due to a job transfer for my husband for the Kenworth/Paccar plant. I work in the healthCare industry. Please provide website information for the healthcare organizations in that area or any job web sites for healthcare. Is it really realistic to commute to Columbus to Tuscaloosa on a daily basis? Your responses are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dreams View Post
Hello Everyone
Please provide any input that you may have on Columbus, MS including where to live,where not to live, good schools, bad schools & etc. I have an elementary schooler and high schooler. I may be relocating there next year due to a job transfer for my husband for the Kenworth/Paccar plant. I work in the healthCare industry. Please provide website information for the healthcare organizations in that area or any job web sites for healthcare. Is it really realistic to commute to Columbus to Tuscaloosa on a daily basis? Your responses are greatly appreciated.
From Tuscaloosa to Columbus is approximately 60 miles. From Tuscaloosa to the Paccar plant is about 70 miles. Only you can decide if that is a realistic commute for you.

Columbus city schools do not have a good reputation, although they are working hard to improve. The best schools in the Columbus area are the county schools in Caledonia and New Hope.

The largest healthcare provider in the area is Baptist Memorial Hospital - Golden Triangle. You can Google them to find their website.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 56,533 times
To commute from/to Tuscaloosa each day would be hard. It's 120 mile round trip minimum and at almost $3.50/gal gas, hard on the pocketbook. Stay away from city schools. Heritage (about $4500 per child) is the private school in town but if you prefer public, you'll want to look at Caledonia or New Hope. It's easier access to town from New Hope. There is no easy way to get to/from Caledonia. New Hope area has nicer land area - more hills. Caledonia area is low. Lots of standing water. Not all of it of course but a lot of it. What price range of house are you looking for? That of course, will determine neighborhood.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,113 times
Default Reply to Mississippi Area

I am not sure of the school system at this point, but my teachers had a vested interest in the community when I grew up there in the late 80's. There are also other areas to consider in Noxubee and Winston County.

The area is local to Mississippi State University and Mississippi University for Women.

At least it doesn't rain everyday. I am sure you will enjoy the quite southern living. By the way Tuscaloosa is home to the University of Alabama. Choose who you root for wisely.

PS..I am considering an opportunity at the facility. I will be relocating from Atlanta.

D

Old 09-17-2009, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,407 times
Do you have any idea when they plan to open the plant? I can tell you all about the area if you are still interested. Starkville, MS and West Point, MS very close to the plant. I live in West Point and I drive by it every day to work . Forget Tuscaloosa AL is to far to drive everyday.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:21 PM

16 posts, read 32,205 times
Omg... Do not move from seattle to mississippi..... The only thing that would be better is that ms is alot cheaper to live than in wa.... The pay rate is also alot lower and the schools are on the bottom of the list in the country.... There are also only about 3 colleges in ms.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,038 times
Well you can only attend one college, or maybe two, at a time so I don't see what that matters, but anyway you're so slap wrong it aint even funny. Just off the top of my head I can think of:

MUW
MSU
MS State
JSU
ICC
EMCC
Delta State
Alcorn
USM
Miss Valley State

I'm sure there's a few I forgot, plus the various other community colleges.

Not sure it matters anyway sincw this OP dates back like 18 months now, but don't want others getting the wrong idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi