U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 11,245 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I will need to move to Southaven area from California (SF bay area) due to my job in several months where I have live most of my life. I have found some decent info on housing and stuff but having trouble getting a real feel for what the area is like. I am asking if some people can post pictures of areas like downtown Southaven and Olive Branch, parks, popular shopping spots, major roads, etc. I did see a thread on pictures in Mississipi, but not much was posted there.

Secondly any recomendations on apartments that are good, what the best banks are there (my current banks don't seem to be in that state), and also if there are any asian food markets in Desoto county or asian communities. Also it is pretty near the Mississippi river, so is there any danger every of flooding in this county?

Thank you ahead of time and god bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 14,912 times
Well, if you're moving from SF to.....Southaven, MS (?) Im only assuming its for a job in Memphis. If this is correct, then I take it you've already read on the many wonderful reasons why NOT to live in Memphis; all of which, by the way, are true. Memphis pretty much is a dump, and Southaven is only partially better, though "better" enough. Keep in mind, Southaven is bordered by south Memphis...yuk. Southaven does however, have any and all places to eat and shop. Olive Branch, same story. Horn Lake, lol, avoid like the plague. Hernando is nice, but has some aweful "good ole' boy" politics......ie, most city officials are there because "they growed up with so and so" and have little political expierience. FINALLY having a new Sheriff for DeSoto County has helped considerably. Anyway, this has undoubtably been no help to you, sorry! Just felt like posting. Hmmm....
*Edit* Oops, sorry forgot to mention, no real flooding problems here. Shelby County, TN (Memphis), and Tunica County, MS border the MS river, not DeSoto.

Last edited by SGC_SG1; 03-26-2008 at 03:48 PM..

Old 03-26-2008, 09:12 PM

SGC_SG1 (StarGate One?) thanks for the reply, and I have been reading these forums for a while and not heard great things about Memphis but actually the job is in Southaven.

I agreed to the move because real estate prices in Desoto are about vastly lower than San Jose (50 miles south of SF) where I live now (a $250K house in Southaven would be a million here). I am planning to live in Southaven or Olive Branch (rent for while, then buy). I do worry some about crime. San Jose CA has very low crime rate, but lot of traffic and high housing prices. I spend almost two hours a day commuting in heavy traffic on terrible roads just to live in small two bedroom condo so I feel a bit cramped and looking forward to more space.

To anyone interested, I have lived in CA my whole life, but my Dad is from Oklahoma and his parents from the south long ago (my grandfather was born in Mississipi), so I am not totally unfamilar with the southern way of life. I am also conservative and apreciate family values. I am more concerned about my wife, who is asian and not born in the USA. It will be a bigger adjustment for her.

I guess I don't care much about local politics, but I do care about crime and being able to live in an area we can feel safe. Most people seem to have a positive view of Southaven, and it appears a lot of people from the outside are moving there now, kind of like a boom town? I am hoping that will diminish negative attitudes towards outsiders.

Anyway still hoping some other people will post pictures of the area and such. Bye for now.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,272,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentum View Post
SGC_SG1 (StarGate One?) thanks for the reply, and I have been reading these forums for a while and not heard great things about Memphis but actually the job is in Southaven.

I agreed to the move because real estate prices in Desoto are about vastly lower than San Jose (50 miles south of SF) where I live now (a $250K house in Southaven would be a million here). I am planning to live in Southaven or Olive Branch (rent for while, then buy). I do worry some about crime. San Jose CA has very low crime rate, but lot of traffic and high housing prices. I spend almost two hours a day commuting in heavy traffic on terrible roads just to live in small two bedroom condo so I feel a bit cramped and looking forward to more space.

To anyone interested, I have lived in CA my whole life, but my Dad is from Oklahoma and his parents from the south long ago (my grandfather was born in Mississipi), so I am not totally unfamilar with the southern way of life. I am also conservative and apreciate family values. I am more concerned about my wife, who is asian and not born in the USA. It will be a bigger adjustment for her.

I guess I don't care much about local politics, but I do care about crime and being able to live in an area we can feel safe. Most people seem to have a positive view of Southaven, and it appears a lot of people from the outside are moving there now, kind of like a boom town? I am hoping that will diminish negative attitudes towards outsiders.

Anyway still hoping some other people will post pictures of the area and such. Bye for now.

Momentum, I too have an asian wife born outside the USA. We've been living in MS for close to a year and although she finds it a little bit lonely at times she's also adjusted rather well. If you don't mind me asking, where is your wife from? There is a fairly sizable Filipino community, somewhat of a Thai community, and also a decent sized Korean community as well. My wife is Japanese, and it's been a little difficult to find Japanese speaking people here, but otherwise my wife has adjusted rather well.

I don't have very many pictures of the area but I'm sure someone will be willing to throw some up here.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 14,912 times
momentum: Yes, Stargate SG1.....very nice!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:07 PM

GCSTroop,

Actually my wife is from Vietnam. I think that is the one country you missed! Here in San Jose there are thousands like her, but I know out in Mississippi there won't be. For Japanese it must be even bigger culture shock. You lived in Tokyo Japan, right? And what part of Mississippi do you live in now?

I had another question. Are there good electronic / computer stores out in Southaven area or Memphis? I am a real geek.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,272,211 times
Quote:
GCSTroop,

Actually my wife is from Vietnam. I think that is the one country you missed! Here in San Jose there are thousands like her, but I know out in Mississippi there won't be. For Japanese it must be even bigger culture shock. You lived in Tokyo Japan, right? And what part of Mississippi do you live in now?

I had another question. Are there good electronic / computer stores out in Southaven area or Memphis? I am a real geek.
Vietnam.... I'm not familiar with many Vietnamese people in this area, but that doesn't mean that there are none! I'm not sure if you realize it, but Southaven/Desoto County is only about 15 minutes south of Memphis and Memphis is like any other fairly decent size city with many people of different ethnic backgrounds. Granted, it might not be like California, but I'm sure you'll find people to meet!

I live in Desoto County now. My zip code is Nesbit, but I'm closer to Horn Lake. I wouldn't quite give up on Olive Branch, Nesbit, Horn Lake, and especially Hernando. Those are all towns all within a 15-20 minute reach of Memphis. So you'll have the quiet, country lifestyle with the city at your reach in case you need something like an Asian market, which we frequent.

I did live in Tokyo for two years. I was stationed there in the military and that's where I met my wife. Keep looking around, I promise there's more here than at first glance. You just have to know where to look. I grew up in Memphis my whole life but after being gone for 6-7 years it seems I've had to relearn everything myself so I'm still trying to remember where things are!

Good Luck in your search!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:26 PM

39 posts, read 125,994 times
Vietnamese population in Memphis is big, IMO. Every nail shops are owned by Vietnamese. Vietnamese foods and markets are mainly in Downtown Memphis, only 15 minutes from Southaven. And you will find a lot more Vietnamese businesses all around the Memphis area once you start to know the area.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:57 PM

78 posts, read 354,434 times
Default California to Hernando

Quote:

Kind of a coincidence that I read your message. Just had friends here from San Jose last week end. They are Chinese & wonderful people.
They seemed to love it here & were talking about the high housing as well as high salary's in San Jose. They live on Brett Harte Dr there.
Although the Mom had been here in 1988 to visit us when she first came from China, her husband & children had never been in the south
They were amazed at how open & friendly Hernando folks are.

I work in a county office building & just in the last couple of months we have had a lady from San Francisco & one from Ventura go to work there
They comment every few days how they love it here

For us old timers, we feel we have lost our little town with all the growth, but for someone from a big city, it would be a big change.

I have lived here for 35 years so if you want to email me with any questions, feel free to do so.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:56 PM

4,263 posts, read 4,076,147 times
Quote:
If you think Best Buy and Circuit City are good, then yes. There are no stores like that but online ordering is a snap. PC Mall warehouse is in south Memphis at Shelby and Pleasant Hill. The outlet store has a lot of interesting things. E-Cost also has a warehouse in Memphis. Find a deal with free or low cost shipping and you save sales tax and get it delivered to your door overnight. Newegg and Amazon have warehouses as well but what you order may come from another part of the US. Smaller electronics companies can also use PFS Web (Product Fulfillment Services). It's just another large warehouse that fulfills orders from smaller web based companies.

If you read other threads, you may notice people talking about crime and traffic. Crime is on the rise but so is the population. I'm sure it is about the same per capita. And for the old-timers, there was no crime. It had no place else to go but up. Southaven traffic is bad for this area but nothing compared to larger cities. You may have to wait through three or four cycles of a red light before turning. It may add 5 minutes total to your driving time. Once you learn the area, you learn places and times to avoid as well as short cuts.

Flooding - My sister from CA called all worried about that. The Mississippi River is bordered by levees. It would have to rise another 20 to 30 feet before it tops the levees. Then it would have to come up another 30 feet to get to Southaven. The biggest flooding news in the area is Tunica which has a few dozen houses surrounded by water on Lake Tunica. But they are on stilts and were prepared for this type of high water.

Asian - The only thing I can add about this is my neighbor who runs a local Chinese restaurant. Nicest people in the world.

Pictures - Try City of Southaven and the downloadable (PDF format) Southaven Magazine.

My wife and I have been here for 7 years and love it. We came from Little Rock and before that grew up in very small town Arkansas. Southaven has a small town feel to it. Yes, it is growing but I think it's the people who give it that feel.

-Robert

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: fixed link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi