U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:47 PM

17 posts, read 101,209 times

Advertisements

:Mississippi, which is very "rural" and very "poor", leads the nation in obesity for several reasons. The bulk of our population is comprised of those who have limited means to purchase healthy food and are uneducated. I stand in line in various supermarkets and witness the majority buying high fat meats that are usually the cheapest cuts--salt pork, pigs ears, ham hocks, chittlins, turkey necks, chicken feet--- plus sugarary sodas/juices, and high calorie/fat inexpensive snack cakes/deserts. Not to mention all the fried food---chicken and catfish.... Exercise is also a "dirty word".......... And you wonder why we are the fattest state??????

Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 AM

767 posts, read 1,998,844 times
Another way to look at it
California has 8,275,863 fatsos
Mississipi has 890,625 fatsos.
So what state has the biggest health risk?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:44 AM

53 posts, read 174,493 times
Mississippi is a smaller state with over thirty percent of it's population that is considered obese. What is the percentage of Californian's overweight? I think that is what matters.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:18 PM

California = 22.7
Mississippi = 30.6

Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,628 times
Post Fat Mississippi

When you grow up off of Mommas fat back and hog maws that’s the only way of eating you know!!! If Momma is not educated on what to feed the child then how will the child know what to eat?
Healthy eating is out the window because nobody is educated on nutrition. This has been going on for three years; better plans should be in place in the school districts as well as the public. Stronger Messages like “If You Keep Eating This Sh_t YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!!!!!! Instead of “Too much salt can cause diabetes.”
Why is it that people think that things just won’t happen to them???
You keep eating fried chicken, macaroni & cheese, cornbread, green beans with pork fat, candied yams, smothered fried potatoes with brown gravy, collard green with salt pork, peach cobbler, lemon cake, and a diet coke all in one setting you butt WILL SPREAD.

Big Mike

Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 PM

Mike
That all sounds real good, except the diet coke.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:08 PM

376 posts, read 1,618,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmainevent View Post
When you grow up off of Mommas fat back and hog maws that’s the only way of eating you know!!! If Momma is not educated on what to feed the child then how will the child know what to eat?
Healthy eating is out the window because nobody is educated on nutrition. This has been going on for three years; better plans should be in place in the school districts as well as the public. Stronger Messages like “If You Keep Eating This Sh_t YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!!!!!! Instead of “Too much salt can cause diabetes.”
Why is it that people think that things just won’t happen to them???
You keep eating fried chicken, macaroni & cheese, cornbread, green beans with pork fat, candied yams, smothered fried potatoes with brown gravy, collard green with salt pork, peach cobbler, lemon cake, and a diet coke all in one setting you butt WILL SPREAD.

Big Mike
People know this, they just don't care. Southern culture is centered on food. Most people are willing to accept the consequences of their diet.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:04 AM

356 posts, read 1,215,617 times
Maybe some of it has something to do with the fact that eating healthy is expensive and there are a lot of people below the poverty level in this state. They eat what's cheap to fill their stomachs.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:33 PM

60 posts, read 212,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
I have been reading quite a bit about obesity in the united states and was shocked and surprised to read that Mississippi is reportedly the fattest state in the country. (In all honesty, i thought the fattest state in the nation was Alaska.) Can anyone explain how the fattest state in the nation could possibly be located in the deep south and not the far north?

I heard this on Fox News a few weeks ago and it really made me angry. It was said by Greg Jared, I think is the right name, and he said Mississippi has the highest rate of obesity in the nation....bs! He also said it's our culture to cook in lard every day........oh please! I wrote an email to Fox News asking for a retraction....

Old 11-08-2007, 08:12 AM

Default Ama

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association latest reports , fat is now good. I don't suppose this will affect any of the lists us folks from Mississippi always find ourselves at the bottom of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi