Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

It's all well and good to say 'fat people are lazy' but in some places with bad winters you can't really get the walks in that you do in the spring or summer or autumn.
Right now we are stuck deep in winter here in Vermont and I can't afford the toys of winter so we sort of suck it up, walk when we can on the ice and snow and dream of winter.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 25,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomite View Post
I thought the same as some others here about becouse it is warmer that it would be easier to stay slim.
This isn't necessarily true. Here with the heat index, it gets TOO hot to really enjoy any healthy physical activities outside, sometimes the heat can inhibit exercise more than the cold. There definitely is an issue here with weight and health and hopefully there will be a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomite View Post
but i still laugh when people are putting there winter jackets on in 30-40 degree weather. but all is fair they laugh at me when i sweat bullets.
I moved here from up north and I laughed when everyone pulled out their coats for the 40s and 50s.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
Default Mississippi Most Obese and No.1 Unhealthy state

Unhealthiest States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance

I wonder why people would be so self-destructive? Is there a high rate of depression so perhaps people aren't motivated to stay fit?

What on earth is causing this I wonder.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:36 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Notice how the #1 is always in the South? I've been to all the Southern states and have to say, their food is horrible. They love to put butter on everything in sight and love fried foods. That, with lack of exercise, will put you on top of the unhealthiest list. You only live once. Why do that to yourself??

Old 03-26-2008, 02:51 PM

557 posts, read 1,675,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Notice how the #1 is always in the South? I've been to all the Southern states and have to say, their food is horrible. They love to put butter on everything in sight and love fried foods. That, with lack of exercise, will put you on top of the unhealthiest list. You only live once. Why do that to yourself??
If you want to subsist on tofu and bean sprouts, then knock yourself out. (but WHY would you want to do that to yourself, since you only live once?)

Nothing wrong at all with butter, fried foods, pork, casseroles, pecan pie, and the like. You just have to eat in moderation, and apparently some people can't moderate where food is concerned.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:34 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
More food for me and my kin, then. The poster above me, though, said it very succinctly: moderation, moderation, moderation. Nothing I like better than a chicken-fried steak, smothered in white cream gravy with mashed taters and white cream gravy on the side, and some fresh-cooked turnip greens, turnips included, cooked in bacon grease, also on the side. And I've actually lost weight in the past two months, from 165 to about 155 by not eating, because I'm not hungry. But I can't tell you how long it's been since I had any of that fare, at least 2 months. May have to rectify that absence, soon.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:26 PM

It's hard to understand why someone would put something unhealthy into their body.

Best analogy, a car. I certainly would not put suger or sand or water in my gastank. That would be illogical to me. Those substances don't help a car to run well. To the contrary, they harm a vehicle.

I am trying to understand why the people of Mississippi don't exercise and apparently are the most obese in the entire US.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
It's hard to understand why someone would put something unhealthy into their body.

Best analogy, a car. I certainly would not put suger or sand or water in my gastank. That would be illogical to me. Those substances don't help a car to run well. To the contrary, they harm a vehicle.

I am trying to understand why the people of Mississippi don't exercise and apparently are the most obese in the entire US.
If you'll read what you just wrote, you've already answered your own query. And who says Mississippians don't exercise? There are obese people everywhere, exercising or not. It just happens that Mississippi has been the whipping post of these United States since the WBTS, and nothing is going to change that.

Now, then, tell me what you eat on a regular basis, and I'd be willing to betcha I could find something wrong with your caloric intake. Ice cream? Baaaaad. Beer? Baaaad. Any other alcoholic beverages? Baaaaad. About the only liquids in my intake on a daily basis is water, and not the flavored kind, either. Just cool, clear water. No tea, thank you, but I'm a bad boy, I do drink coffee, several cups a day, with artificial cream, too. Baaaaaad. C'mon, fess up, now.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 PM

"And who says Mississippians don't exercise?"

The news story. I have no idea how they compiled their data.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
just got back from oxford, MS.
in mississippi the people act real real nice but they look ugly.
in california its exactly the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi