Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:22 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times

Advertisements

California, the golden,blonde,slim,trim healthy state has 8,516899 fatsos. Stood in a straight line belly to butt, assuming each occupies two feet, it would be a line 3226 miles long. The great state of Mississippi's line would only be 347 miles long.
If fatsos are a NATIONWIDE PROBLEM(they are), then lets start with the largest problem and solve it first. It would set a good example for us fatsos down here in Mississippi to follow.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
This is the thread that never dies, isn't it? Been going on in one form or another for 8 months. Amazing.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:13 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
This is the thread that never dies, isn't it? Been going on in one form or another for 8 months. Amazing.
Ain't that just the truth?

Well, for kickers, I Googled "obesity by state" and came up with a whole mess of information on the subject. I just read through this site: Fast Road to Fat City - Page 1 - Obesity in America - MSN Health & Fitness (broken link) which was definitely quite interesting. In one passage, for instance, well, here 'tis:

The same value pricing that works for larger portions works against many of the "healthful" choices on the fast-food menu. "Look at the salads on one of these menus," Young says. "They sell for, say, $4.99. For the same price you can buy five hamburgers. So you're poor, you need to feed your family, what are you going to do, buy five salads or five hamburgers?"

Ah, there it is, the fool-proof, proof. If you're poor... But, hey, go read the whole thing, it's quite interesting, actually. And one more reason I spurn fast-food every chance I am offered. Yuck! Where'd I put that bowl of cottage cheese...

Old 04-02-2008, 04:17 PM

151 posts, read 703,055 times
The potential for obesity is so great that many Mississippi children do not recognize the word "sidewalk," on a district test, the reason for this is that most children walk on the roads with the cars, which make it dangerous for them to play, walk, and ride bikes. The term side walk is almost nonexistent to many children.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darhe3425 View Post
The potential for obesity is so great that many Mississippi children do not recognize the word "sidewalk," on a district test, the reason for this is that most children walk on the roads with the cars, which make it dangerous for them to play, walk, and ride bikes. The term side walk is almost nonexistent to many children.
Could it also be that the "new" urban design doesn't include sidewalks? Less trash on the streets that way, you know, pop bottles, empty chip bags, WalMart shopping bags, stuff like that-there. Only sidewalks that exist in my little corner of the world is downtown. Besides, not too many folks walk anywhere, anymore. Easier to just hop in the car, drive a block to the convenience store, pick up a bag of chips and a pop, drive back home.

On another note, without really trying, and without weight watchers or jenny craig, I've lost about 12# in the last three or so weeks. Down to a magical 153# or so. My goal is my old "fighting weight" when I was still in military service of 140#. But at age 61, somehow I don't think I'll ever see that goal.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 AM

253 posts, read 1,305,865 times
This is what I don't understand. The people all over the country watch television (even if they don't read), so there is no way they can be uneducated about the dangers of poor eating habits. So why do they still live like that in this day and age? It cannot be ignorance or lack of education about proper eating habits. Do they all have this "A heart attack would never happen to me" mentality?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
MODERATOR: Folks, let's move this back to Mississippi...if we're going to have a general discussion on healthy eating we'll need to split off the thread and put part of it in Health and Wellness or the Food forum - Thanks!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:49 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,363 times
I think that is in southern culture to over eat. That, combined with the substantial amout of food being fried is probably why the south over all is so overweight. I think Texas held the title as most obese last year.

I'm a skinny yankee, and when I lived in MS, everyone was constantly trying to get me to eat more.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:48 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I don't know, sam. I think that this thread is destined to go off-course.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi